Chicken Problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chicken Woes

I have trouble with that too! On other problem with chicken is that I can't get that golden brown meat when I try to follow recipies on cooking shows. It's so frustrating! all i get everytime is white meat that is dry fibrish and tasteless at the centre. Fish is way easier than chicken, but i'm so tired of cooking seafood all the time. and chicken is cheaper.

Yes, It's the only thing in the oven and you assumed correct Juice running clear & about 175 degrees.. This is almost like I have this "NO CRISP, JINKS" I must say this, I've done a lot of cooking in my life and had winners and losers..But this IS bafling. I'm getting close to Company coming so, I'm gonna put this bird in soon and I wish myself luck..lol And Thank you, pacanis. You have a great day.

imho 175 is overcooked.

I do it differently. I start with a 350 oven, and roast the bird on each side for (depends on the size of the bird) about 35-40 minutes. Then I turn the oven up to 400 and the chicken on its back and finish roasting for about 25-30 minutes. I roll the chicken in olive oil before I start, and I baste up until after I turn the chicken tummy-up.

My "Perfect Roast Chicken" is posted somewhere on this site, and it always yields a crispy-skinned chicken. You can also fine the recipe here.

imho 175 is overcooked.

I do it differently. I start with a 350 oven, and roast the bird on each side for (depends on the size of the bird) about 35-40 minutes. Then I turn the oven up to 400 and the chicken on its back and finish roasting for about 25-30 minutes. I roll the chicken in olive oil before I start, and I baste up until after I turn the chicken tummy-up.

My "Perfect Roast Chicken" is posted somewhere on this site, and it always yields a crispy-skinned chicken. You can also fine the recipe here.

Crispy roast chicken as demonstrated on Cook's Country on PBS:

Roast the chicken at a very high temperature (475 degrees) to render the fat quickly and to keep the meat from overcooking.

Flip the chicken several times during roasting so that each side is exposed to maximum heat.

Lance the chicken’s skin before cooking so that the rendering fat can escape.

Dust the chicken with cornstarch, which will combine with the rendering fat to turn the skin crisp.

I usually don't roast a chicken whole. I quarter it, pat the skin dry with a paper towel, coat the skin with oil and pop it into a 400º F oven. Nicely browned, crispy skin and perfectly cooked meat every time.

Crispy roast chicken as demonstrated on Cook's Country on PBS:

Roast the chicken at a very high temperature (475 degrees) to render the fat quickly and to keep the meat from overcooking.

Flip the chicken several times during roasting so that each side is exposed to maximum heat.

Lance the chicken’s skin before cooking so that the rendering fat can escape.

Dust the chicken with cornstarch, which will combine with the rendering fat to turn the skin crisp.

If that works for you, Sir Loin, go for it. But be Very careful when you "flip" that hot chicken several times while it's roasting. "flipping" chickens is not easy. ;)

Andy, I roast whole chickens all the time -- sometimes two or three a month. They come out with crisp skin that way, too.

...Andy, I roast whole chickens all the time -- sometimes two or three a month. They come out with crisp skin that way, too.

I wasn't implying you can't get crispy skin roasting a whole chicken. I've found my way works best for me.

Back
Top Bottom