Chicken Roulade Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geoffism

Assistant Cook
I have a chicken roulade that is rolled with a goat cheese, asparagus and lemon pepper mixture. The problem I'm having is I cant get the chicken to cook all the way through without having all the insides boil out.

The method I'm leaning towards is Sous Vide but I'm not sure if it will work. Does anyone have experience cooking chicken roulades in a sous vide machine? Will this work?

How are you cooking it now? It seems like the typical method of browning in a skillet, then finishing in the oven should work.

Also, have you pounded the chicken thin before rolling?

In fact, I have a chicken breast stuffed with mushrooms, goat cheese, chives and chicken liver that suffers the same problem.

I was thinking of cooking both at 62 deg. C for 50 minutes.

Sorry to double post Admin wont let me edit

If you pack the stuffing in too tightly, some gets squeezed out as the meat cooks through. Try to not over stuff.

How are you cooking it now? It seems like the typical method of browning in a skillet, then finishing in the oven should work.

Also, have you pounded the chicken thin before rolling?

The oven gave me the same problem but its not as bad as just using a covered frying pan and thermometer. Still have to preheat the oven though.

Yes its pretty thin but thick enough so it wont dry out.

Last edited:
The oven gave me the same problem but its not as bad as just using a covered frying pan and thermometer. Still have to preheat the oven though.

Yes its pretty thin but thick enough so it wont dry out.

In fact the oven was terrible for the stuffed chicken breast mushroom goat cheese dish. There was no goat cheese just some sort of mushroomy creamy residue.

It was terrible. I found a couple soux vide recipies on a different site might worth a shot. Especially since the person that got the undercooked chicken last time was mom.

Since goat cheese is a soft, fresh cheese, I would expect it to melt when cooked that way. What kind of result are you looking for? Maybe another cheese would work better.

I don't have a sous vide machine, so I can't help you with that.

Some recipes call for chilling the roulades for several hours prior to cooking so the filling is very cold and slow to melt while the chicken cooks. This is similar to the technique used for chicken kiev, where a compound butter is sealed in the chicken breast.

Good luck!

In order for the chicken to cook through, it will have to get to 150F in the Sous vide bag. The goat cheese will be melted at that temp, and will run out into the bag. I think you will have the same problem as in the pan or oven. In the Sous vide bag, everything pretty much melds together.

I think the only way you can keep the melted cheese inside is to fold in the ends of the chicken breast, as if you were making chicken Kiev or an eggroll or burrito. When you pound the chicken, make it thinner at the edges so that the ends aren't too bulky.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom