Chicken Safety - Need to keep my elderly father alive!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piperlori

Assistant Cook
Hi, My 90-year-old father told me that if I get get three sources to prove to him that the way he is cooking/storing his chicken is very unsafe he would stop doing it. I'll be contact the USDA Hotline on Monday, but I still need two more sources.

Here is what he does. He buys chicken, puts it in fridge (sometimes freezer), then takes it out and cooks it for 20 minutes on Warm or Low (less than 200 degrees.) He then sticks in the freezer (not even in a freezer bag, but loosely covered with foil--apparently unconcerned about freezer burn), then when he wants to use a piece, takes it out days or even a week (or longer) then cooks it again for who knows how long.

Or he will stick in the fridge for several days after he has "cooked" it for 20 minutes on Warm or Low setting.

I tell this is why he has frequent bouts of "the runs." Can someone please confirm that is all a very unsafe way to handle/cook chicken?

Thanks! (Please post any links that confirm this.)

piper

Hi, My 90-year-old father told me that if I get get three sources to prove to him that the way he is cooking/storing his chicken is very unsafe he would stop doing it. I'll be contact the USDA Hotline on Monday, but I still need two more sources.

Here is what he does. He buys chicken, puts it in fridge (sometimes freezer), then takes it out and cooks it for 20 minutes on Warm or Low (less than 200 degrees.) He then sticks in the freezer (not even in a freezer bag, but loosely covered with foil--apparently unconcerned about freezer burn), then when he wants to use a piece, takes it out days or even a week (or longer) then cooks it again for who knows how long.
Bh
Or he will stick in the fridge for several days after he has "cooked" it for 20 minutes on Warm or Low setting.

I tell this is why he has frequent bouts of "the runs." Can someone please confirm that is all a very unsafe way to handle/cook chicken?

Thanks! (Please post any links that confirm this.)

piper

As far as i know....this is unsafe.poultry does need to be stored cooked properly to kill off any yuckies.
i have had salmenella( sic) and it was so bad.i dont have exact temperatures.....but it really doesnt sound what is reccomended for safety.
it may seem silly and paranoid.....but the handling process for poultry can cause tummy troubles.
Please please.....listen to your well intended, concerned kid....lol

First of all, welcome to DC. Congratulations on having a "Father that is 90 years old". Yes, he is probably doing it all wrong but he has probably built up the anti-bodies within his body to fight it also. Actually, something we don't see much of today is simply because children don't have much opportunity to just play in the dirt anymore, not to mention anti-bacterial soap. So needless to say, young children are sick with something all time and a quick fix is an anti-biotic instead of building up immunities.

So, all I can say, is love him and enjoy everyday you have with him.

I just cannot see touching this with a ten-foot pole because times from his day to yours are totally different.

What he is doing is exceedingly unsafe. First his initial cooking temp is way too low. And second, partially cooking chicken is very unsafe.

I would suspect his "runs" are probably directly related to his chicken, swarming with bacteria. Elderly folks are particularly vulnerable to foodbourne illness, too.

Google "partially cooking chicken" for more sources. And good luck.

He is playing Russian Roulette and one of these days it is going to catch up with him. I agree with Jenny that the runs he gets is most likely directly related to the chicken. That is a classic symptom of food poisoning. So far he has been lucky with minor symptoms, but one of these days it could be major. He is lucky to have you ewatching out for him and it is lucky for him that he seems to have an open enough mind to change his ways. Show him this thread in a day or two. I am sure you will have plenty of posts that will help convince him.

First of all, welcome to DC. Congratulations on having a "Father that is 90 years old". Yes, he is probably doing it all wrong but he has probably built up the anti-bodies within his body to fight it also. Actually, something we don't see much of today is simply because children don't have much opportunity to just play in the dirt anymore, not to mention anti-bacterial soap. So needless to say, young children are sick with something all time and a quick fix is an anti-biotic instead of building up immunities.

So, all I can say, is love him and enjoy everyday you have with him.

I just cannot see touching this with a ten-foot pole because times from his day to yours are totally different.

We need a "like" button for this post.
I ain't gonna argue with a 90 year old cooking his own food and living life.

i think he has o.k'd advice. all you can do is present it and then it is up to him if he wants to follow it. us old people can be stubborn,. i never get food advice from my kids though, i am more careful than they are. good luck!

I'm not an expert. I think if he is baking it at close to 200F and it is pieces, that it isn't a problem. It's well over the 140F usually considered safe for keeping food.

Sounds totally unappetizing. What an awful recipe. And yes, it breaks every rule for safe handling and preparation for any food I know of.

It breaks every rule...but you won't be able to change him. The best advice is to love him. Or, to move close enough so you can take over the cooking for him.

I'm not an expert. I think if he is baking it at close to 200F and it is pieces, that it isn't a problem. It's well over the 140F usually considered safe for keeping food.

He is cooking it at 200 for only 20 minutes. That isn't hot or long enough to get the internal temp of cold chicken to 165 which is necessary to kill salmonella and other bacteria. In fact its warming the chicken to the temp that bacteria thrive in.

Refrigerating it doesn't kill the bacteria. Freezing usually doesn't either.

He is cooking it at 200 for only 20 minutes. That isn't hot or long enough to get the internal temp of cold chicken to 165 which is necessary to kill salmonella and other bacteria. In fact its warming the chicken to the temp that bacteria thrive in.

Refrigerating it doesn't kill the bacteria. Freezing usually doesn't either.

You are quite right. I started thinking about it and realized that the pieces of chicken have to first get to a temperature that will kill the micro-organisms, before it would be safe to keep it at over 140F.

Back
Top Bottom