Chili Con Carne?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with Alix. It is chili. You can put it in enchiladas, on hot dogs, in sloppy joes, over nachos, but it is what it is....chili

Last edited:
chili dog all the way (texas wiener)

put hot dog in a bun top with mustard chili and chopped raw onions. yummy!! you can add cheese if you must.

I'm scratching my head here. Its already chili, what do you want to turn it into?

I agree with Alix. It is chile. You can put it in enchiladas, on hot dogs, in sloppy joes, over nachos, but it is what it is....chile
It's got beans in it, So it's not really chily :)

How ever it's mighty tasty And I was total pig tonight, I had 2 bowls of it and a big plate of Nacho's :)

Since this seems like a base recipe for chili, Can I add craw dad's, pine apples, shrimp. and make it in to a sea food like chile?

"Con carne" simple means "with meat". It is simply a more descriptive name of the same thing.

CC, the great beans vs no beans debate still rages, but what you made is considered "chili" by most of us. As Erik says "con carne" just means with meat.

I don't think I'd try putting any of that other stuff in it. If you want to use it up grab some tortilla shells and make it into taco type things. Or put it on salad, or put it on your nachos.

CC, the great beans vs no beans debate still rages, but what you made is considered "chili" by most of us. As Erik says "con carne" just means with meat.

I don't think I'd try putting any of that other stuff in it. If you want to use it up grab some tortilla shells and make it into taco type things. Or put it on salad, or put it on your nachos.
in my book it's not chili without the beans.

Chili is one of those dishes that has so many regional varieties, that no one of them can be considered the true "authentic" recipe. According to Wiki (that great repository of 99% accurate knowledge) Texas chili does not contain beans. In fact, most "official" chili cookoffs don't even allow beans.
However, there are many widely accepted varieties that contain beans, and most commercially produced chili has more beans than meat.
My own feeling on the matter is that for it to be called chili, you should probably have some chilis, or at least some chili powder in it. After that, use what you like, and don't fear the Chili Police. (Of course, that's easy for me to say, as the Chili Police don't have jurisdiction in Canada ;) )

Erik, you have described exactly how I feel about chili. And boy am I glad the chili police don't have jurisdiction here (neither do the BBQ police either!) *running away before kitchenelf sees this*

Famous Chili from the Midwest

Chili in the Midwest is even more exciting. May of our chili recipes have pasta added to the chili. I like to make the chili for one days meal and then on the second day add the pasta for a whole new meal that does not look like a leftover. It is best to cook the pasta first because you do not want all the liquid of the chili absorbed into the pasta. This is a great example of our famous Midwest chili. Visit the Red Gold website,
for a great recipe - Our Familie's Favorite Chili :chef:

Since topping for dogs is often thinner, this thicker chunkier chili may demand a more formidable bun. Cheese is a must:)

Good luck

If there is a Costco in N.J. they might have Tamales there. We have them here but Ca. has most Mexican foods.

If there is a Costco in N.J. they might have Tamales there. We have them here but Ca. has most Mexican foods.
thank you. i would love to go to a restuarant to have tameles.

Back
Top Bottom