Chili Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessica_Morris

Senior Cook
I'm looking for some good Chili Recipes. Most of the ones I've found online have been plain and we want a kicking chili, some with some with a little heat.

2 pablonos
2 jalapenos
2 aneheims
2 onions
2 large cloves of garlic
2 beers
2 chuck roasts (about 2 lbs each)
2 cups seasoned flour

roast and peel chilies then remove seeds and chop
chop onions and garlic
cube chuck and dredge in flour removing excess

Brown meat then remove
sweat onions and chilies until browning then add garlic
Place meat back in and add 2 beers. There should be enough liquid to just cover the meat and chilies

Simmer about 3-4 hours or until tender.

This has alot of flavor and not alot of heat. if you want spicier add a habanero to the other chilies.

I'm looking for some good Chili Recipes. Most of the ones I've found online have been plain and we want a kicking chili, some with some with a little heat.

You can always add heat, what's important is to get good flavor in your meat and sauce. I would add chipotle in adobo sauce to any chili recipe, if I wanted more heat.

I use chilpolte chili and habernaro sauce (a drop or two--the green stuff). You can add nice depth by using roasted tomatoes, garlic, onions and grilling your meat. I've made this recipe a couple of times. I've used homemade salsa, and added some habernaro sauce:

Recipe Details

Food and Drink has some very nice recipes, if you haven't looked there for inspiration re: chili, you may want to go take a peek.

What kind of chili do you like? I don't like chili with ground meat--I prefer chunks of meat. I like thick chili--I don't like soupy chili. If it is not thick enough, I add Masa Harina (sp). I do use beer or ale when I make chili. I sometimes sneak in a bit of blackstrap molasses. It is in the base (the sauce), how you flavor it, and the meat if you make a meat-based chili. If you use dry chili, etc., you do want to saute the herbs/spices to let them bloom. It really does make a difference.

Last edited:
When I want heat I add cayenne. I love the quick heat it gives and it has a great flavor.

The local chili (Texas) is most properly meat stew in which the sauce is made of peppers with a fair amount of garlic and something to thicken (I use masa). If you want a deep pepper flavor, try this if you're lucky enough to have, as we do, a section of dried peppers in the grocery stores. I pick out a selection of dried chilis, break them down and remove the seeds, and powder them in a blender or small processor. I add ground cumin.You can roast this powder if you want. No onions. Certainly no tomatoes. Lots of people use tomatoes, and the Terlingua bunch tend to use tomato sauce, but I want straight up chili con carne - chili with meat, where there's plenty of chili sauce to carry the meat. Meat means chunky cubes, never ground, browned well in lard. And while I don't consider beans to be the devil's spawn, if you want beans, cook good beans and have them along side, not in, the chili. For more heat, I'd just puree and add small cans of chipotles in adobo sauce and stir into the chili.

The local chili (Texas) is most properly meat stew in which the sauce is made of peppers with a fair amount of garlic and something to thicken (I use masa). If you want a deep pepper flavor, try this if you're lucky enough to have, as we do, a section of dried peppers in the grocery stores. I pick out a selection of dried chilis, break them down and remove the seeds, and powder them in a blender or small processor. I add ground cumin.You can roast this powder if you want. No onions. Certainly no tomatoes. Lots of people use tomatoes, and the Terlingua bunch tend to use tomato sauce, but I want straight up chili con carne - chili with meat, where there's plenty of chili sauce to carry the meat. Meat means chunky cubes, never ground, browned well in lard. And while I don't consider beans to be the devil's spawn, if you want beans, cook good beans and have them along side, not in, the chili. For more heat, I'd just puree and add small cans of chipotles in adobo sauce and stir into the chili.

No liquid? What are you thickening? Or is the masa simply coating the meat and spices?

I personally think chipotle in adobo can overwhelm a good chili. Make sure you taste before you use.

I simmer some habs from my garden in mine and it gives it a great kick with that terrific habarnero flavor in the background.

I use loads of chili powder, cumin, adobo, garlic and Mexican oregano.

To deepen the flavor I use a few rehydrated ancho chilis, unsweetened chocolate and beer

I won't say what kind of chiili is the "best" chili, as it is such a personal creation. Some like a tomato baased sauce with lots of veggies and peppers. Some like cubed meat with ground chili peppers. Some like it soupy. Some like it thick. What you like is what you should make.

For me, I make it like this (at least for one of the chili cookoff's I participated in, hence the large amounts of everything):

Ingredients:
16 lbs. ripe-red Tomatoes (or 2 #20 cans diced tomatoes)
2 large onions, diced
3 stalks Celery, chopped
1 tbs. fresh Cilantro
4 Jalapeño Peppers, chopped
4 fresh Cayenne Peppers, chopped
2 Habenero Peppers, chopped
2 ½ lbs. Skirt Steak, grilled over charcoal
1 Green Bell Peppers, chopped
¼ cup Chili Powder
2 tbs. Cumin
2 tbs. Coriander
2 tbs. Paprika
#20 can black beans
#20 can dark-red Kidney Beans
2 squares Bakers unsweetend chocolate
Salt
1 tbs. Cayenne Pepper
Maple Syrup - 8 oz.
2 heads of good Garlic, minced
1/2 cup Masa harina

Grill the skirt steak and pork chops over a solid bed of charcoal in a covered barbecue. Slice the tomatoes into quarters and place into a large pot over medium heat. Cover. When the tomatoes have cooked down (about 20 minutes), add everything but the meat. Chop the meat into something resembling coarsely ground beef. Add to the chili. Simmer for an hour, stirring every ten minutes or so. Taste, and adjust the seasonings to what you like.

Makes 3 gallons of chili

Pirze winning recipe:
2009 United Way Chili Cook-off, 1rst-place Prize-Winning Recipe, White Chili Category – Bob Flowers’ White Chili

In past years, I made this same basic recipe, but with chicken or pork as the meat, and with more potent hot peppers. So this year, I tweaked the herbs and spices, changed to ground beef, and reduced the heat. Everyone who has tried this recipe has fallen in love with it. It’s not as pretty as red chili, but it sure does taste great. Try this recipe on a cool fall night. It’ll warm you to your toes.

Ingredients:
* 24 oz. (3 cups) Great Northern Beans, cooked
* 24 oz. Pinto Beans, cooked
* ½ cup Salsa Verde (available in most grocery stores)
* 1 large white onion, diced
* ½ cup chopped green onion
* 1 tbs. Sriracha brand Pepper Sauce
* 2 tbs. Coriander, ground
* 1 tbs. Cumin, ground
* 2 stalks Celery, sliced with leaves
* 1 ½ lb. Ground Beef (80/20 grind)
* 2 tsp. Kosher Salt, or 1 ½ tsp. table salt
* 3 tbs. fresh Cilantro, chopped
* 2, one-inch Serrano Chile Peppers, minced
* ½ tsp. white pepper, ground (or you can use black pepper)
* 2 cups heavy cream (1 pint)
* ½ cup Masa Harina (can be found next to the corn meal at
your grocers)
* 3 tbs. cooking oil

Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the diced onion. Sauté over medium heat while stirring until the onion begins to soften (about 2 minutes). Add the ground beef and flatten out. Let cook for about 5 minutes and then break it up. Stir and cook until the meat has lightly browned. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the Masa Harina, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for two hours, stirring every twenty minutes or so to prevent the chili from sticking. Taste the chili and correct the seasoning to your taste (add more salt if needed).
Place the Masa Harina into an eight ounce cup along with just enough water to form a thick paste. Stir with a fork until all the lumps are removed. Slowly stir in two tbs. more water. This is called slurry. Stir the Masa Harina slurry into the chili, and again cover. Let it all cook over low heat for an additional ten minutes. Stir and test to see if the chili is thick enough for you. If so, then you are ready to serve up a bowl- full or two to your family. But remember, like all great chili, this is even better the next day. So if you can, cool it in an ice bath and place in the refrigerator for tomorrow’s dinner. Serve it with some good cornbread, or nachos.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
No liquid? What are you thickening? Or is the masa simply coating the meat and spices?

Oh, I use beef stock mostly. And I'll add that, although I don't like to cook onions, tomatoes, or other vegetables in the chili, I do often have it with them chopped fresh on top. It can be just chopped onions or a full pico de gallo. In the right mood, the plain chili with shaved bitter chocolate on top.

Thanks GLC.
I've seen beef stock named in some recipes and Lone Star in others.

I normally make my chili with meat rather than burger, and also without beans, but this weekend I'm going to try an "authentic" TX chili. I guess that means no strips of green peppers or onions, too, but that's fine.

Back
Top Bottom