Chou farcical

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timoteh

Assistant Cook
Hi there, hope somone can help. I recently tried to gather the ingredients for the traditional eurupean "Chou farci" but I'm having a little trouble getting hold of the pork fat/rind called for in the recipe.

I've visited my local butchers ( 3 of them) and it seems its not something they have at hand on a regular basis , or thats what he told me :glare:.

Is there something I can use as a substitute? many thanks

Usually pork butts still have the skin and fat on them. They are big hunks of meat but not expensive. You could buy one of those cut off the skin then you could use the meat in something else.

Hi there, hope somone can help. I recently tried to gather the ingredients for the traditional eurupean "Chou farci" but I'm having a little trouble getting hold of the pork fat/rind called for in the recipe.

I've visited my local butchers ( 3 of them) and it seems its not something they have at hand on a regular basis , or thats what he told me :glare:.

Is there something I can use as a substitute? many thanks

I have a heard time believing that an actual butcher wouldn't have skin on hand. unless they are like me and have a hankering for some chicharon on the daily.

A shoulder/boston but, as mentioned should have about 2-4lbs of skin, depending on size. Pork belly can be ground to help make the filling, but you could just try a good local sausage too, save a lil time and energy. Any cut that is more fatty then lean will lend to a good stuffing for the cabbage really. Just for authenticity, shy away from anything smoked. For more flavor, and goodness, GO FOR SOMETHING SMOKED!

Back
Top Bottom