Chowder Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMB47

Assistant Cook
I have been having a problem with my Corn chowder and Lobster Stew breaking. The only thing i can think of is, i add sugar to both of them. Would that make them break ? Also my Lobster stew and my corn chowder got gooey what would cause that? I have Clam , Haddock and seafood chowder all in the same steam table and they did not break, all i can think of is the sugar. Thanks for any help . Tom:chef:

I don't know the answer to your problem, but I'm sure someone who knows more about cooking chowders and stews will be along to help soon. My only question is, why would you add sugar? Lobster and corn are already so sweet. None of the recipes I have seen for lobster stew or corn chowder call for sugar. If that is the only difference between those and your other dishes, sugar could very well be the problem, I would think.

:) Barbara

Last edited:
Tom, the only thing I can think of is that the chowders got too hot after you added the cream. That will guarantee a break. Do you know how hot the table was set? Can you set it to the minimum safe temp and try again.

I've NO clue about the gumminess unless there was okra in the chowder?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom