"Christmas Quiche" Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A quick search on "Christmas Quiche" brought up the recipe below, which looks very festive. I'm not suggesting you replace your ideas with this one, but I'm thinking that if you want your creation to LOOK as well as TASTE like Christmas, then the cherry tomato and rosemary design on top might do the trick.

A-Z Quiche: merry christmas quiche

100_2117.jpg

Yes Steve, very much in the spirit of what I was going for! ;)

Okay, well today was the day of the experiment and I have to say it went pretty well. :)

I used baby sprouts, which I gently steamed and then halved or quartered so that the pieces were more or less "pea" sized. They were tender and "mild" flavoured but still have some texture.

When it was cooked, the top was still a bit pale. So I did what any self-respecting home cook would do and took a blow torch to it! :)

I made a "holly" garnish along the lines of Steve's pic, using slices of tomato and whole sage leaves. Pics are before and after blow-torching...

Attachments

• Xmas Quiche uncut.JPG
    Xmas Quiche uncut.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 186
  • Xmas Quiche cut.JPG
    Xmas Quiche cut.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Very nice, Katy!

Thanks PF! And the even better news is that it actually tastes very good indeed! (I'm taking in sample slices for the two people who requested it in the office tomorrow - I'm sure they had no idea I would actually attempt a quiche with sprouts in it, but hopefully they will be happily surprised as they both love sprouts.) :yum:

Some people think I was being "pranked" but I can assure you I wasn't - simply rising to a challenge! ;)

Thanks PF! And the even better news is that it actually tastes very good indeed! (I'm taking in sample slices for the two people who requested it in the office tomorrow - I'm sure they had no idea I would actually attempt a quiche with sprouts in it, but hopefully they will be happily surprised as they both love sprouts.) :yum:

Looks great!

Some people think I was being "pranked" but I can assure you I wasn't - simply rising to a challenge! ;)

That really was a joke. Just something that occurred to me.

Defo sage in the pastry that sounds great , or you could maybe do a stuffing type mix of sage, onion and breadcrumbs , wonder how that would work In the mix? I would finely shred the sprouts and stir fry them with small pieces of pancetta . Also perhaps some chopped cooked chestnuts, the type you buy in a vacuum pack ? It just looks like it needed a bit longer in the oven to colour it more or finish it off under the grill .

For presentation I would unashamedly use a sprig of holly and present it on a Christmassy cake board .

Last edited:
It looks beautiful Katy! You did a lovely job indeed. I hope you'll forgive the bit of fun about the sprouts, as I'm sure those who like them will really enjoy your masterpiece.
:chef:

That sure looks Christmassy to me. And it makes me want to eat my first ever quiche. Lovely ingredients.

Beautiful Katy. How do you like the crust with the sage in it?

I failed dismally with the pastry Taxy! :LOL:

I dutifully pounded dried sage into a powder and tipped it into my flour and butter mix. (Am I going to buy a "processor" now I am working? Yes I am!!!)

Anyway, it all went wrong because I had 200g in my head for some strange reason instead of 100g. So the pastry was a complete disaster. Anyway, as you can see, it held together enough so the dish was edible!

The challenge here was to make a tasty quiche with Brussels. And I did that. (So much so that I think I won't tell the Brussels haters what is in it and just let them try it!) :closedeye

Last edited:
I think it looks great too Katy. :yum:

Pac or anyone. When making a quiche, put the solids in ( bacon cheese etc) Set the pie dish on the oven rack. Pour the custard in. Close the oven door. The kids however do not care in the least if you put the custard in and try to carry it to the oven and something spills. They think you did this on purpose.

Last edited:
I haven't read thru every post but I've made herbed crusts before. We have a recipe for a sweet onion pie that uses a crust made with various FRESH herbs. Unfortunately, I have no idea which book it is in so can't find it real quick. However, I just did a google search and found this.

see you in the morning: roasted grape and onion tart with almond herb crust

I know it's not a quiche but it looks so good (and is beautiful to boot) just had to share. I think it will be on our menu next week.

Last edited:
I would go with a quiche that displays red and green, maybe sun dried tomatoes and green onions (and forget sauteing them). Green and red peppers might work if you like peppers. I don't see much in your list that makes me think "Now that's a Christmas quiche!". Mine would be a basic swiss cheese, bacon, green onion quiche that my family likes with some added bits of red sun dried tomatoes and maybe, even some spinach.

A possibility for the red might also be pimiento.

I was thinking instead of sliced cherry tomatoes, how about cutting in half and placing them flat side down? That way you have the roundness of a berry sticking up.
Do you have the white cherry tomatoes over there? You could even use both and make it look like mistletoe.

If I had time, I would probably peel the sprouts and saute the leaves in bacon fat with bacon bits and a drizzle or two of maple syrup, some freshly ground black pepper...and then add that to the Quiche "mix" reserving some for the top.

I make savory crust frequently. I tend to like adding smoked paprika and using ww flour when making savory crusts.

You could panfry some sage leaves in butter and EVOO to add to the top...

Looks tasty, btw.

So, as some of you will know, I started a new job a few weeks ago (which is going very well). They have a tradition there of having a "potluck" lunch just before Christmas, where everyone brings in something edible (some people cook, some bring in bought goods).

I said I would make a Quiche. But then a couple of colleagues challenged me to make it a "Christmas" themed Quiche!

So I am going to give it a go and will do a practice one this weekend. At the moment I am thinking of something involving "stuffing" (Sage and Onion), and also Brussels sprouts. (Obviously there will also be bacon and cheese as it wouldn't be a Quiche without those elements.)

For the Sage element, I wondered about grinding some dried sage with a pestle and mortar and adding it to the actual pastry. (I also have some fresh sage which I thought I might use to decorate the top).

Has anyone tried adding dried/powdered herbs to pastry?

Any thoughts on the sprouts? I was thinking of steaming them first and maybe quartering them, or maybe separating the leaves and sprinkling them through the filling? I don't want a very strong sprout flavour as sprouts are not loved by everyone. (The two people who challenged me both said I should put sprouts in however.)

For the onion element - shallots, white, or red onion? Whichever I use, it will be thoroughly caramelised beforehand so it is nice and soft and doesn't spoil the soft eggy filling.

The bacon will, (naturally) be smoked. :)

Sprouts and sage are both pretty strong flavours (as is smoked bacon) - but should I be thinking of something to sweeten/lighten the flavours? A tiny bit of lemon or orange zest maybe? (Zest is quite "Christmassy".) Or is that overkill?

So, for my test quiche this weekend:

1. Sage - in the pastry? Good plan or no?
2. Sprouts - leaves, quarters - something else?
3. Onions - what type?
4. Zest - yes or no? Or maybe just on top?
5. Any way I can include tomatoes (for a red accent)? Chopped sun-dried in the filling perhaps? Or slices on top?
6. Any other ideas?

I often put a pinch of dried herbs in pastry for a savoury dish. I often "do a Delia" as it's called in this household and make a suet pastry lid on baked Kate and Sidney pies and add a pinch of dried herbs to dumplings. Don't go mad with the sage as it's quite strong. You might consider thyme as an alternative to sage.

If you use sprouts cook them before cutting them as if you cut then cook them they'll go soggy. Don't over-cook them either. I love sprouts. They are one of my favourite veg. I hated them as a child but mother, who wasn't normally a food tyrant, always made me have just one. Now I'm glad she did.

I'd use ordinary white/yellow onions or Spanish onions if you can get them (Spanish are milder in flavour). Red onions can dye things a rather unpleasant colour. Actually you could use spring onions/scallions instead of ordinary onions.

Lemon zest improves most things and goes well with thyme and sage.

Sliced tomatoes on top will make it look pretty.

Frozen peas if you want something green.

Cranberries?

Enjoy yourself

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom