Chuck Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karleen

Assistant Cook
how can i slice a chuck roast so it is not tough? my husband likes his roast med-rear and i like the price and flavor of chuck.

Hi, Karleen. Welcome to DC. A Chuck Roast is fairly tough cut and needs to be cooked for a long period of time, usually braised in liquid, to turn out tender and moist. I don't think you can cook it to medium rare and have it tender at the same time.

through many mistakes I have learned that if you try to slow cook a tender cut of meat such as those used for steaks, they will not become tender and will become tough. in contrary, those tough cuts of meat can become very tender after slow cook. I think it's due to that tough meats have a lot of collagen and only collagen-rich meats can be tenderized through slow cooking. Chuck is collagen rich so it needs to be slow cooked. it also contains a large amount of fat, which makes the meat very chewy if they aren't rendered out.

If he wants med rare, you are going to have to spring for a different kind of roast, a pricier one. I have, on occasion, dissected all the connective tissue out of a chuck roast and used it for stir fry, but it is a pain.

Cut into 1/2" thick slices and make bictecca pizzaiola.
Cut into 3/4" thick slices, marinate in a soy sauce, wine or vinegar, and sugar based marinade for 12 to 24 hours and grill.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom