Cicada Cookery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heard tonight that there is a fungus among the cicadas this year. It makes thier butts pop off and then the fungus takes its place. Then it makes the males act like females to infect the males.

I'll pass on eating them.

Isn't that what they call STD ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

This in the news feed yesterday ;
The FDA advised people in a tweet to avoid eating cicadas if they are allergic to seafood because of a link between the insects and shellfish.

I am glad I tried it. If Frank would emerge from his first-world mindset, I would totally make cicada tacos. It tasted like a lightly cooked shrimp with an undertone of almond. Not at all squishy. I am ver sensitive over textures. Cicadas could easily be substituted for shrimp. I've been calling them "sky shrimp." I cooked and ate a cicada and I liked it."

After parboiling the teneral adults, remove the wings and legs, and stir-fry like you would shrimp.

It's funny how you say it tastes like shrimp. Fried tarantula is said to taste like crab.

I would try it so long as it were minced and I couldn't see anything insect like. Actually, in a novelty shop they were selling "cricket rice crackers" made from powdered crickets. Nasty, at least by themselves. I had to make a tuna dip as a dip to finish them (I hate to waste food). :)

We have no cicadas here in Denver. I'd give tem a try, especially since they are said to be similar in texture, and flavor to shrimp. I mean, I've eaten crab, and crayfish, and people eat scorpions:ohmy:. I imagine that bears, and hogs, omnivores like us, would gorge themselves on them. And
I bet they're great for free range chickens, guinea fowl, turkeys, and all kinds of game birds.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Im in Maryland right now visiting my daughter . I've seen cicadas before in the past, but the is like an invasion. I have never seen this many at once in all my life, or heard them this loud. As we got off the highway, Windows up, music playing, I heard a loud screeching noise. I looked at my wife and asked if it was the brakes in the car. At that point we both said ( in unison) "Cicadas"' was we heard about them in the news recenly ( but haven heard or seen any in NY as of yet, even though they said we wrere in the range.

Seconds after we heard them, our windshield was getting pelleted by them. When we got to my daughters a few minutes later, when you stepped out of the car, it was almost impossible to avoid stepping on an already crushed cicada in the parking lot. Although kinda gross, im glad I got to witness this event in person, as like I said, Ive never seen it at this level before. Its almost biblical.

Growing up, we had Mayfly hatches so thick, every summer, that streets were slippery from them, and the sides of everything were covered. A great time for fish. Lots of food.

Then there was the 7 year cycle of army worms, which killed so many trees by eating off the leaves.

Swarms of gnats, and mosquitoes, well U.P. MI is full of wetland. That's every year.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Yes, I noticed that you mentioned that you removed the wings and legs. I don't want insect legs stuck between my teeth again. It was quite unpleasant. Now, I'm visualizing a stock made of cicada wings and legs. That would take an awful lot of cicadas. :ROFLMAO: That would be even stranger than the voodoo chicken feet. That was you, wasn't it? Or am I remembering wrong?

The voodoo chicken stock was absolutely amazing! I've never had any as good before or since!!!

Heard tonight that there is a fungus among the cicadas this year. It makes thier butts pop off and then the fungus takes its place. Then it makes the males act like females to infect the males.

I'll pass on eating them.

The fungus is very easy to see. Sad that it has infected them. :(

:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Living in MO has caused a lot of interaction with those bugs.

I think I might go vegetarian rather than eat them. :ermm:

Ross

Et tu, Ross? I mean, have you seen the cost of shrimp? The price of veggies are going up too! These are freeeeeee. At least for the next couple weeks. :LOL:

We have scads of cicadas here. The decibel meter went to 98 when one of our neighbors measured it. Kids next door had to shout to be heard.

Back
Top Bottom