Cliantro Question -How does it taste to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jennyema said:
I still disagree that they are interchangable. Why would you put parsley in salsa if someone hated cilantro? It would change the taste. Why not leave it out?

I think chicken with tomato sauce, lime and cilantro sounds good. But was there also basil and oregano or rosemary?

I still can't think of a recipe besides that salad where IMO they are interchangeable.

Ok, let's try this again...

Let's just say that I don't like the FLAVOR of Cilantro. I like the COLOR it brings to dishes that it is used in, and I like the FRESHNESS that it brings to a dish as well, but it's a little to strong for my taste.

Now, what could I possibly add to a dish which would give me the same COLOR and FRESHNESS, but is much milder so it would not drastically change the taste of the dish in a negative way. Basil? No. Shiso? No. Tarragon? No. I would use either flat-leaf or regular parsley. Why? It's substantially more mild in flavor, and I can get the same COLOR that I can get with Cilantro without the FLAVOR of Cilantro.

Now if I hated the FLAVOR of ALL types of parsley, I would omit everything. The point for using flat-leaf as a substitue is not for people who LIKE cilantro, it's for people who DON'T like cilantro.
Will adding Italian Parsley change the flavor of the dish? YES! But that in itself, is the whole point because for arguments sake, I don't like cilantro.

Would I substitute it personally? No. But if all I had was Italian Parsley, and/or I was cooking for people who didn't like Cilantro, I would substitute it. Can it work for every recipe that includes Cilantro? Of course not. But you can use it as a substitue for people who DON'T like Cilantro in the following recipes:

Ceviche
Salsa
Soups
Marinades
Vinaigrettes/Mignonettes

I'm not crazy about cilantro. It is fine in salsa, but for other dishes I can just leave it out and not miss it. I've had some things that were ok and I've had others that I thought it was definitely overused.

I like cilantro, but I am very selective about what dishes I add it to. I put some in one of my favorite Mexican casseroles and it was very overpowering. But then I put a whole bunch in my chile verde and green chile enchilada casserole dishes snd they taste just right. I agree it is a definite must for salsa.

I grew up with cilantro in almost everything so I've never gotten a soapy taste... but still it is a VERY green or fresh taste which most people have a hard time enjoying.

When I first moved to Hawaii (once upon a time, many years ago) I wondered what that awful flavor was that I didn't like. It is definitely an "acquired taste", which, I might add, I quickly acquired. Now Asian, especially southeast Asian (Thai, Lao. Vietnamese, Camobidian, etc) cuisines don't taste quite "right" without fresh cilantro, nor does a fresh salsa. Since it is such a "love it or hate it" flavor, and is not available to me year 'round, I often, when it is, make a small "vase" of it up and put it on the table and let people help themselves to it (quite often I'm the only taker). I was originally taught that coriander is the seed, cilantro the green. I really don't think they taste the same at all. I can see "metallic" in the flavor, but not soap. Maybe I buy a different brand of soap. Mostly I consider it a sharp flavor. Something that cuts through everything else.

By the way, I'm known for making up "bouquets" of fresh herbs from the garden for cuilinarily-inclined freinds (especially those without gardens). Placing one on the table and inviting guests to gussy-up their dinners with the fresh stuff sometimes brings about interesting results.

ironchef said:
Ok, let's try this again...

Now, what could I possibly add to a dish which would give me the same COLOR and FRESHNESS, but is much milder so it would not drastically change the taste of the dish in a negative way.

IMO flat leaf parsley has a very definitive taste. You can't add it for the texture and color without changing the taste of what you are making. Salsa, for example. i wouldn't consider subbing parsley for cilantro. I'd leave it out.

Last edited:
jennyema said:
IMO flat leaf parsley has a very definitive taste. You can't add it for the texture and color without changing the taste of what you are making.
I completely agree. Sugar and salt have the same texture and color as well, but you would not use sugar in place of salt if someone did not like salty foods.

Just because something will work in a dish does not mean it is a substitute. JMHO.

ironchef said:
Now, what could I possibly add to a dish which would give me the same COLOR and FRESHNESS, but is much milder so it would not drastically change the taste of the dish in a negative way.
What about mint? mint has a similar color and brings a freshness to a dish, but I would not want to substitute mint anywhere a recipe calls for parsley.

Last edited:
Wow............just to clarify. I've never substituted so I have no clue if it works or not in whatever dish. I just was referring to what I've heard chefs on the foodnetwork say. Whenever they are cooking with cilantro it always seems they say if you don't like the flavor of cilantro then substitute. Sorry that that observation caused such a debate!

Not to worry Sizz - sometimes it happens. I won't even mention that mint and basil are interchangeable. I think the whole point was missed because they don't taste the same - which is the whole reason behind "substituting".

Its a wonderful herb AND it can be used in many MANY ways!! :chef: In sushi..... sandwiches..... roasts.... pico de guillo.... sauces.... and of course mexican foods.

I love the earthy taste of cilantro...To me it's what makes salsa worth eating:)

kadesma

elfie??????????? mint and basil??????????:angry: :)

whadddidya think you could sneak that one in?

now, mint and basil are another of those things where either could be used in many dishes, not in every dish (mint in a savory tomato sauce? yuk), but it totally changes the entire perfume of the dish.

i guess we all agree that different herbs can be used in many dishes and will be enjoyable :rolleyes: , but that they are considered variations on a dish.

I love cilantro, but I saw Julia Child :)chef:) on Larry King :)sick:) one time and she said it was the only food she could think of that she hated, because it tasted like soap to her. Later I read somewhere (I can't remember where) that there is a physiological reason for some people to have that reaction to cilantro, although it certainly could have been someone's theory. I think that's too bad, because it's one of my favorite flavors.

BC

buckytom - did you sneak out of that corner? :mrgreen:

You'd be surprised bucky how they can be interchanged even in a tomato sauce. You know the drink called a Mojito? Traditionally it is made with mint but basil works great! In a tomato/basil/garlic mixture for bruschetta if you find yourself out of basil mint works quite nicely. OK, maybe a spaghetti/tomato sauce is pushing it - but in a pinch I bet you could add just a little and you could get that cool taste of basil and still fool a lot of people. I said IN A PINCH!!!! lol

thanks elfie. i love mojitos, but a basil mojito? (i am resisting every joke about reaching the "top shelf" liquor...hee hee.)
hey, watch that pinching thing. btw, if you wanna get someone realy good, pinch them on the back of their tricep. hurts like heck for some reason...:)
i have a ton o' mint growing next to the garden. have to keep edging it with a shovel to keep it from taking over. i've only used it for iced teas and on ice cream so far, but i'll try it in place of basil and see how it goes.

I love cilantro, myself. This debate reminds of the little slip of paper my 7th grade science teacher passed out to everyone and then told us to chew them. Most of us only tasted paper but there were a few who spit it out immediately, it tasted so bad. I can't remember what substance was used but it was a lesson in genetics.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom