Cliantro Question -How does it taste to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Run_Out

Senior Cook
Hey Guy's

I have some friends who tell me that Cliantro has a soapy taste, do any of you sense the soapy taste? Just curious

Later:ermm:

Hi Run_Out. I think you are going to find the group pretty split on this issue. It seems that people either love cilantro or they hate it because they find it tastes like soap. Personally I think there is some biological or genetic reason for this, but I have no proof.

I am in the "I love cilantro" group. I do not taste soap at all. Cilantro is probably my absolute favorite herb. I feel bad for the people who can't eat it.

I've never sensed that from good cilantro before. To me, fresh cilantro is an essential ingredient to making salsa.

Part of the problem with talking food is that we all have a unique set of tastebuds which react differently to different foods. To that end, it could very well be that cilantro does taste a little soap-like to your friends. It just may be the way they're wired.

My friends who hate it either say it tastes like soap or metal.

Supposedly if you are allergic to it (and some people are) it tastes like metal.

I definelty don't think it tastes soapy. But it does have an distinct flavor.

I love it.

Try it and see what YOU think!

ishbel, in scottish and other european cookbooks do the recipes specify whether the coriander is seed or leaf? they taste similar, but aren't really interchangeable in most dishes.
i wonder if the same people who dislike leafy coriander, or cilantro, are affected the same way with coriander seed?
i have heard of the soapy or metallic thing. luckily, i do not find the taste odd. i love cilantro and coriander seed in many dishes.
i replace half of the parsley in my chicken soup with cilantro, just for a nice little change of pace.
and i love a bunch of freshly washed whole cilantro on top of grilled baby squid, topped with sweet chilli sauce.
another fave is chopped peanuts, garlic, ginger, cilantro, and hot pepper flakes, mixed into angel hair pasta with garlic sesame oil.

I'm one for whom cilantro tastes like soap. Coriander seed is not a problem for me though.

It doesn't seem to be a problem in salsa. I eat that by the ton. However, I leave it out of other recipes.

I love cilantro! It's hard to describe it's flavor, but I would say it tastes a bit like lemon/lime.

I'm in the later side.......I don't care for the flavor. I can't describe what it taste like......I've tried it a few times and each time I was turned off by the flavor is all I can remember. I guess if you don't like it then you can substitute italian parsley.....at least thats what I've heard.

I personally would never recommend substituting parsley for cilantro unless you are only trying to add color. The flavors are absolutely nothing alike. It would be like substituting orange bell peppers for an orange. Same color, but much different taste. JMHO.

agreed gb! i substitute cilantro for parsley in chicken soup BECAUSE it changes the flavor. it makes the soup taste kinda like thai, especially if you add that rooster hot sauce, sriracha. (thai/jewish fusion penicillin? :) )

When I read your post about adding half cilantro and half parsley Bucky, I made a mental note to try that next time. It got my mental taste buds going like you would not believe!

I love cilantro in soup. As a matter of fact I think the first time I ever noticed that taste was when I was eating a Thai soup. I kept asking everyone with me what that awesome flavor was. I could not figure it out. I have been hooked ever since.

You wouldn't get the same flavor when you substitute Italina flat leaf parsley for cilantro but that's the whole idea! It gives the texture and parsley still has a nice fresh flavor.

I love, love, love, love cilantro. There are no fence hangers when it comes to cilantro! lol

Buckytom
I can't answer for other European countries, but here, Coriander is usually the leaves coriander seeds is a different story.:mrgreen: All the Asian food stores sell it in great big bundles - I keep a huge bunch in the kitchen on the worktop. As well as scenting the kitchen, it makes a great breath freshener, just like flat leaf parsley!

GB said:
I personally would never recommend substituting parsley for cilantro unless you are only trying to add color. The flavors are absolutely nothing alike. It would be like substituting orange bell peppers for an orange. Same color, but much different taste. JMHO.

That's the point. If they don't like cilantro, they wouldn't want to add anything that tastes similar to it. It would be for color, texture, and a milder fresh herb flavor.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head where cilantro and parsley are interchangable at all. Except maybe this Brazilian salad I make sometimes which uses both. In that you could use either by itself.

Cilantro is one herb that is always available in in the produce department in the grocery store here. I almost always use fresh when a dish calls for leaves. Salsa without cilantro isn't even worth the effort, IMO... guess you can tell that I'm in the "loves it" faction. :mrgreen:

I think the point is being missed about parsley and cilantro being interchangeable. They are VERY interchangeable in the right recipes. I've even made a chicken spaghetti and along with the tomato sauce used cilantro in it and lime. It was very good. Not in every instance but in those instances where someone does NOT like cilantro you can very easily substitute Itialian Flat Leaf Parsley - like I said in my post and Iron Chef said in his - for the texture, the color, and it still has a fresh taste.

I still disagree that they are interchangable. Why would you put parsley in salsa if someone hated cilantro? It would change the taste. Why not leave it out?

I think chicken with tomato sauce, lime and cilantro sounds good. But was there also basil and oregano or rosemary?

I still can't think of a recipe besides that salad where IMO they are interchangeable.

Back
Top Bottom