Coconut based or yogurt based curry.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haroldathampton

Assistant Cook
I prepared my first shrimp curry in a coconut based sause and my wife and I loved it. I am trying to do some research on the difference between coconut and yogurt based curry dishes, other than the obvious of coconut and yogurt. I did use a store bought curry paste but am interested in trying my had at making my own batch. I did find a recipe for a red curry paste here and will be giving that a try.

Anyone want to comment on this subject?

Coconut based curries are generally southeast Asian in origin. The Thais have many different varieties of coconut milk based curries.

Although I appreciate homemade condiments, any well stocked Asian market will carry probably 8-10 types of curry paste in small cans or larger plastic tubs. They are easier, cheaper than trying to make it at home and are very good.

23005.jpg

The coconut based curries are more of a soup? and the yogurt based curries are more of a think coatings for the meats?

The coconut based curries are more of a soup? and the yogurt based curries are more of a think coatings for the meats?

No. I was referring to the many southeast Asian curries that are used as sauces.

Yogurt based curry is generally southwest Asian, such as Indian. Though many Indian curry dishes do not contain yogurt.

Last edited:
There isn't any comparison between store bought curry paste and fresh made. the fresh made is so much better. When I make a batch of Thai curry paste (be it red, yellow or panang), I usually double the recipe and freeze some. Even the defrosted paste is beter than any canned or jared we've tried, IMO.

There isn't any comparison between store bought curry paste and fresh made. the fresh made is so much better. When I make a batch of Thai curry paste (be it red, yellow or panang), I usually double the recipe and freeze some. Even the defrosted paste is beter than any canned or jared we've tried, IMO.

While I definitely agree that it's better, some of the ingredients can be hard to source. Fresh galangal and lime leaves, for instance.

IMO the paste is more than serviceable for the average home cool.

That said, youve inspired me! I have most common Thai ingredients in my freezer so maybe I'll pull out David Thompson's book and cook something!

Last edited:
While I definitely agree that it's better, some of the ingredients can be hard to source. Fresh galangal and lime leaves, for instance.

IMO the paste is more than serviceable for the average home cool.

That said, youve inspired me! I have most common Thai ingredients in my freezer so maybe I'll pull out David Thompson's book and cook something!

I think someone had mentioned in another post that they couldn't find the shrimp paste. I was recently able to get fresh kaffir lime leaves at Whole Foods. I find it pretty funky that they come in pairs. Now I see that you can get actual kaffir lime trees. I just planted several tomato plants in containers and will try grow lights in the house. We usually plant outside this time of year, but I wanted to see if we can get better results inside. If it works, maybe I'll try a kaffir lime next.

Back
Top Bottom