Cod Fish in Bulk.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
Are fish products from Gordon's Fisherman or Van de kamps over priced? And can frozen prepped fish be purchased in bulk much cheaper?

Can only suggest you go online to search.
Best to really get to know your products and prices well first.
There might be a slight savings but enough?

Pollock is frequently used as an alternative to cod, as cod is over fished, and the numbers are very low in the wild. Pollock is easily found in spermarkets, and is also known as Boston Bluefish. It is very similar to cod in both texture and flavor, and is harvested sustainably. It is sold as fillets, minced and used in fish cakes, fish sticks, and imitation crab.

As cod populations are very low, and really need to be left alone to rebuild their numbers, I don't purchase cod any more. Instead, I get the Pollock. It is also used as a substitute for haddock for the same reasons.

As long as their is a market for it, unscrupulous countries, and fisherman will continue to over fish both cod, and haddock, until there are no more.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I was reading an article in Costco's magazine and they mentioned sustainable North Atlantic cod I think.
Which cod are you speaking about Chief? Atlantic or Pacific? And is there a difference as far as sustainability?

Oh...I saw a show once and the pollock they caught was going to McDonald's for the fish fillet sandwich.

Last edited:
These screen shots are from the Seafood Watch app, created by the Monterey Bay Aquarium. There are apparently a lot of species that go by the name cod. The app gives details on whether fish or seafood are recommended based on many factors, including population and how they're fished.
https://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/our-app

Screenshot_20200831-111108_Seafood%20Watch.jpg
Screenshot_20200831-111312_Seafood%20Watch.jpg

That is an excellent app, GG. I have it too. Very handy to be able to look up that stuff when you are at the store and some kind of fish is on special or looks particularly good.

Are fish products from Gordon's Fisherman or Van de kamps over priced? And can frozen prepped fish be purchased in bulk much cheaper?
I wouldn't consider it over priced because Gorton's or Van de Kamp are doing all the major preparation; filleting, cutting, breading and cooking. All you really do is reheat it.

Price-wise, the least expensive way, other than catching the fish your own self, is to go to some place like Broadway Seafood or Kenmore Fish Market (depending on where you live in Buffalo), buy fillets of the type of fish you favor, batter them and fry them up. They can also be breaded and baked if you prefer. There are a plethora of recipes for batters and breading, and for frying or baking the coated fish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom