Coffee butter icing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scbs29

Assistant Cook
Hello all
I have made a coffee and walnut cake, but am having problems with the coffee butter icing. I use a Kenwood Prospero.
I beat together 200 gm Utterly Butterly (apologies if this is classed as advertising) and 200 gm icing sugar then add cold coffee (2 tbspn in 100 ml water) a spoonful at a time.
Every time I do it then the mix curdles. What I have to do is add coffee until it looks as if he mix is about to curdle and then stop. This of course reduces the coffee flavour of the butter icing.
Can anyone advise me how to make this 'butter icing' without the curdling ?

You have too little icing sugar and if you use proper butter in block like lurpack or kerry gold, it will turn out perfectly.

Coffee Buttercream
250 gram room temp butter, 500 gram icing sugar, 3 tablespoon of instant coffee, 1½ tablespoon boiling water.
Mix coffee and water, leave to cool. Mix butter until pale, then add the icing sugar and cold coffee and if you want too a little vanilla.

CakePoet - Thankyou for your reply. I will certainly try this when I next make the butter icing.

I have tried to make frosting with utterly butterly because that all my friend had home and it failed, badly. So I know it doesnt work and take lurpack normal salted , it makes the coffee less bitter.

Utterly Butterly has 70% less saturated fat than butter.. That's a good thing for health reasons, I suppose... :wacko:

Not a good thing if we want icing for cakes, etc..

KerryGold all the way for baking... :yum:

Ross

Back
Top Bottom