Coffee/Salt??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luvs2Cook

Head Chef
I was told to sprinkle a shake or two of salt into my coffee grinds before brewing, this is supposed to cut down any bitterness of the coffee. I've been doing it, but not noticing any difference. Has anyone heard this before or done this?
:ermm:

I have heard of it. If you don't notice any difference, are you using milk and sugar in the coffee ? Have you tried without milk and sugar to see if there is a difference ?

That's interesting. I'll ask my mom next time I talk to her if she's heard of this and if she's tried it. She's full of tid-bit information. I use the french vanilla creamer so might not notice a difference at all, I load it up too much anymore to have anything but coffee flavored creamer. :)

I have heard of it, but never tried it. I do not have a problem with bitterness in my coffee as a rule. If I did then I would just buy a different coffee.

I do use a flavored creamer in my coffee so that may be why I don't notice a difference, but my hub says the coffee tastes smoother.
I never really noticed a 'bitter' flavor but when I heard this, I had to try it!

I have heard of it but do not do it. I don't need to add anymore salt to my diet.

I do have a friend who adds some cinnamon stick when she brews hers. She likes the addition. I really don't like flavored coffees.

My brother insists on adding a sprinkle of salt when he makes the coffee - I do not. I drink it black and there is no difference. The coffee is not bitter either way.

However, we have a coffee factory in my town with probably 30 different flavors of beans. I've tried about half of the flavors and have never had a bitter cup of New England coffee, so it may not be a fair test.

Lee

Salt counters the bitter flavor in everything, not just coffee. Some people are more sensitive to bitter flavors than others, and some people enjoy bitter flavors more than others, so this is all subjective, of course. Just FYI :)

I have heard of it. we are currently using up a big can of coffee that was given to us. we find it bitter. I tried salt, not to very much avail. I backed off on the amount of coffee per pot and like the results.

AC

Yes Luvs I spinkle salt into my coffee before brewing. Have done it for years and if I forget to do it I can taste the difference. Sometimes, like this morning I sprinkle ground cinnamin in my coffee before brewing.

My in-laws did that every time they made coffee. I never noticed one bit of difference exept that maybe the coffee tasted salty. I was never able to understand why salt would cut bitterness. Maybe if your coffee is bitter, you should try another brand.

I have tried it but not to get rid of bitterness. I was trying to make the coffee more flavorful and the salt did make a welcome difference. If you perceive your coffee to be lacking try just a little. You will probably like it.

Jeff

With just a dash of salt to a whole pot of coffee is not going to make your coffee taste salt or be unhealthy!

This is an old trick for percolators that sat around at parties for hours. I've never heard of using salt if you are drinking the coffee reasonably quickly...

Salt in coffee??? Not in my coffee, but thank you...I buy green coffee beans and roast them to be flavorful, not bitter.

Back
Top Bottom