Condiment sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_psychosis

Senior Cook
I inherited an old cook book. Copy right 1961.

Anyway several of the recipes call for "Bottled thick condiment sauce"

I have no idea what they mean. Does anybody here know?

Please and thank you. :chef:

I did a quick Google search and got A-1 steak sauce in one hit and soy sauce in another and different others in each hit. So you'll have to try to deduce the sauce from the recipe.

If you could post a couple of recipe names along with their ingredient lists, we might be able to guess.

Well, a condiment is something to enhance the flavor of something else. For instance, the following list of condiments aren't meant to be eaten by themselves, but added to something else to make it taste different or better.

Condiments (not all inclusive, of course);

Salt, pepper, ketchup, mustard, salad dressing, tartar sauce, relishes, dipping sauces, etc.

Ok Thanks

One recipe is an onion sauce

Melt 1/4 cup butter, add 3 cups sliced onions, cook untill deep brown. Add 2 cups boiling water, 1 tsp "bottled thick condiment sauce" stir.
Combine 1/4 c cold water with cornstarch add to onion mixture, stir and cook till thick. Salt and peper to taste.

I also googled it and came up with any kind of thick condiment in a bottle.. Ketchup,A-1, salad dressings etc... I'm with Andy tell us more about the recipe and perhaps we can figure it out together... :cool:

For 1 teaspoon you could use just about any of the condiment sauces already mentioned. Most of the condiment sauces contains a spicy tomato mixture in a vinegar solution so 1 teaspoon of any of them would provide a subtle flavor boost.

Ok Thanks

One recipe is an onion sauce

Melt 1/4 cup butter, add 3 cups sliced onions, cook untill deep brown. Add 2 cups boiling water, 1 tsp "bottled thick condiment sauce" stir.
Combine 1/4 c cold water with cornstarch add to onion mixture, stir and cook till thick. Salt and peper to taste.

My first reaction was Worcestershire Sauce. Then I saw it was supposed to be thick so I thought of A-1 Sauce.

I'd go with the Worcestershire and use chicken or beef broth instead of the water.

Ok so that recipe sounds like the onions you would put on a hotdog so I would probebly go with ketchup.. I think I will try it this week and will report back...

My default condiment sauce would have to be chipotle mayo, or chipotle mixed with sour cream. Pretty sure that's not what the cookbook author was referring to though, but it's what I would use!

Thanks everybody. I kinda figured I would just have to guess by the rest of the recipe. It's just that there are so many condiments to choose from. I think I'll just try different things till I like it.

In this recipe my guess is ketchup. It is the default in a lot of sauce recipes - and the word "thick" rules out Worcestershire. A1 has a bolder taste and in cooking is not used so much (more for putting on steaks). But that is just IMHO.

Hope it helps!

Back
Top Bottom