Cookbook and Info Book Needed....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TripleB

Assistant Cook
OK, I'm 43 years old and have finally decided that I should learn how to cook something other than homemade pizza, grilled chicken, grilled steak, spaghetti, and tacos.

I'm looking to get a book that not only has basic/easy recipes with ingredients I've heard of, but also tells me about different 'tools' I'll need in the kitchen, what different spices taste like, how to cut veggies/fruit, and all the other basics I will need to know to cook properly.

What book would you recommend?

BTW: I'm a very visual learner so the more pictures showing tools/herbs/recipes the better.

Thanks for any help.

TripleB

Welcome to DC!

I recommend Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.

Others will chime in with their recommendations!:chef:

The Joy of Cooking is a great basic cookbook but I don't know what it offers in the way of pictures.

I saw that book today and looked at it closely. Loved all the info it gave concerned needed items for cooking but it didn't have the photos I was hoping for with the recipes.

I appreciate everyone's input so far...I'm getting pretty excited about trying to learn all this information.

I've watched the Food Network for the past couple years, typically on a daily basis, but never felt the urge to try cooking myself until recently.

TripleB

Any of the books above would work for a good overall basic. cookbook. When I was younger, I got an illustrated Good Housekeeping Cookbook that was pretty nice for someone starting out but then books were all there were.

My guilty little pleasure is that I signed up for Top Chef University, which is an online cooking school. I sincerely wish there were something like this many years ago when I started to cook. It covers basics of tools, pantry stocking and organization, herbs, and cooking theories including all aspects of food prep. Even though I was not a beginning cook when I started the classes, I love the series and think it is totally beyond awesome for what it is.

Each lesson demonstrates the techniques, explains the ingredients, tells you the theory behind it, gives you pointers and gives you a recipe (or more) to try. You can also print the recipes for shopping or to make notes with. Most lessons are 5 to 15 minutes in length and they are all online so you can work at your own pace.

A google search for Top Chef University will get you the site. You can also read a user's blog (not mine!) where a woman is working her way through the lessons one lesson at a time. She is in the offal unit right now...so be warned. :)

Welcome to DC!

~Kathleen

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom