Cooked with Guinness and the broth was vulgar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Triskavanski

Assistant Cook
I tried making some food last night; Carrots, potatoes, onion, garlic and sausage. Lacking a proper broth I threw in some water and a bottle of Guinness.

And that was a Mistake. I'm not sure what happened, but instead of yummy stout flavored food, I had fairly blandish food with some of the most vile dark liquid surrounding it.

I'm not sure what went wrong there, but I've got a whole fridge of various kinds of beer that I need to get rid of and no one really just wants to take it, and there is a lot of recipes out there on how to use it. So I want o know what I did wrong, what I should have done with it to prevent it from happening again. Cause I know beer can be used to cook, and nothing I've tried that has been beer based has ever tasted like that.

That's plenty too far for me. I'd rather cook with it, just gotta figure out what I did wrong this time so I don't repeat

Cooked with Guinness and the broth was vulger

Hmm. I've used Guinness in chili and soups, a nice strong beery flavor. Wonder if it needed a bit of beef boullion, or if you needed to reduce or omit the water.

Last edited:
Haaa, I must admit my one and only taste of Guinness gave me the same reaction. Vulgar is a good word for it. I'm know my Irish ancestors are sure but ashamed of me. :lucky::cry:
Welcome to Discuss Cooking, but the only time I use a can of beer in my cooking is for a Beer Butt Chicken......:chicken:

Last edited:
I'll take all your beer. I'm in L.A.

That is not a very helpful answer for a new member.

Welcome to DC. I know there are many members here who have used beer in their cooking. Someone will come along with an answer to your problem. We love it when we have an answer to a kitchen dilemma.

Do stick around and come back each day. We have a lot of fun here. :angel:

Maybe you used too much beer for the amount of food you had. Try it with less next time.

I've used stout in a really delicious smoked chuck roast with onions and peppers. It could also be braised, although it wouldn't have the smoke flavor. That was a four-pound roast and one bottle of stout.

Here's an example, so you can see the combinations and relative amounts of other ingredients used: http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/pulled-pepper-stout-chuck-roast-with-guinness-white-cheddar-sauce/

When in doubt, just Google what you want to make. You can get a lot of information this way. Such as the following. Who else but the Irish would really know how to cook a dish with their National Beer.

Irish Beef Stew Recipe | SimplyRecipes.com

This recipe looks like a lot of ingredients. But they are mostly for seasoning. Give it a try again. Just don't accept defeat. :angel:

Addie, after having two husbands and three (I think?) sons, you should know that the way guys greet each other is different from how women greet each other ;) It's all good.

I'll second that, after having two husbands and two sons. I personally love men in general. For one thing, they're not women. ;)

I've tried to use Guiness in stews and it turned very bitter and gross on m

I think that is exactly what happened here.

Fluid wise, I didn't have anything other than Guinness and water, as I was out of broth, and the only bullion I had at the time was chicken cubes.

I'm just absolutely surprised at what the taste ended up like. The amount I used was one whole bottle.

Perhaps the biggest issue was I lacked any other real strong flavors to counter the flavor of the Guinness or anything to mellow it out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom