Cookery books tell fibs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"I'd love a fag." comes to mind. A fag in the UK is a cigarette.

I remember when I was on a train travelling Great Britain, milleniums ago on a college trip, and a young man in the same train car asked me if I would like a fag. I thought it rather odd, even though I was a theatre major.

Last edited:
The thyme, if used too liberally, will throw off the color, as will some chicken stocks. If the broth has been clarified, it won't add color to the sauce.

With a cornstarch thickener (cornflour where you live) the thickener is almost clear. The only other things that could darken the sauce would be any browned bits from the cooked chicken mixed into the sauce. If you over cooked the sauce, it could also darken it.

From the ingredient list, I would think it would be fairly white, with a hint of blonde color.

As for the post talking about the mushroom sauce, it can come our very white, or grey, or brown, depending on if the mushrooms were saute'd, if the gills were removed, and the kind of mushroom used.
that's all I have.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, the mushroom sauce comes out brown, because the sauce is made using the fond from the pork chops. I would be dismayed if it came out as white as it did in the picture. The first time I made it, I used white mushrooms.

Whyshiepoo--I think you are being too hard on yourself. You have cooked several meals since joining DC in December that are amazing. You can substitute ingredients without making the dish a fail.

Here's one link, there are many others:

Common Ingredient Substitutions Article - Allrecipes.com

Play with your food. You're doing a great job re: cooking, but sometimes we have to go outside the box.

I understand what you're saying but did you know most likely what you are looking at in these books is nothing more than wax just to make the picture prettier they do the same thing with commercials you see on TV.

Last edited:
I have heard most of those. We use quite a few of them in Canada. It was a fun read.

I think you use 'eh' a lot as well as do we Guerns (Guernseymen).

We also use a little French and in fact we have our own version of French called Guernesiaise.

One of my countrymen was known as the Saviour of Upper Canada.

Why we remember Sir Isaac Brock

The street I live in is actually called Brock Road!

The British slang list reallllllly needs updating , there are words there we wouldn't use now . I remember someone I think on here thinking Dustmen was the current word for a bin man or a refuse collector . Dustmen was more of a sixties word. Am sure it's probably the same in other countries as we update our vocabulary and new words become more popular .

Fag is a bit outdated too .

Sorry Wyshie we have gone orf piste with your thread .....

Last edited:
Whyshiepoo--I think you are being too hard on yourself. You have cooked several meals since joining DC in December that are amazing. You can substitute ingredients without making the dish a fail.

Here's one link, there are many others:

Common Ingredient Substitutions Article - Allrecipes.com

Play with your food. You're doing a great job re: cooking, but sometimes we have to go outside the box.

Thanks, I try my best.

It is more of a nerdy almost OCD thing that makes me not like substituting ingredients. I do everything by the book in general. My whole career has meant I do everything by the book. Rough guesstimates just will not do.

Drives Mrs Wyshiepoo wild, when I do something around the house it has to be researched, measured and done exactly as 'the book' says.

I think you use 'eh' a lot as well as do we Guerns (Guernseymen).

We also use a little French and in fact we have our own version of French called Guernesiaise.

One of my countrymen was known as the Saviour of Upper Canada.

Why we remember Sir Isaac Brock

The street I live in is actually called Brock Road!
Yup, we certainly do use "eh". I guess it makes sense that Guernsey also uses French, since it's actually closer to France than to England. Learn something everyday. As you probably know, Quebec has a lot more Francophones (French speakers) than Anglophones (English speakers). Quebec English is a recognized dialect. We incorporate some French when we speak English, e.g., "Pick up some milk when you go to the dep." Dep is short for dépanneur, which is a convenience store.

It is also 'funny' how words you've been using all your life you think are general English usage.

I remember years ago saying to an English girlfriend "Caw boudiyax, the milk's gone muzzy it." Boudiyax = an expression of disgust. Muzzy = gone off, gone sour.

She looked at me as if I was mad. I found a whole list of words that day that weren't in common usage.

Budloe, Cheeri or chiri, bouzette, colimachon, we always go down somewhere as in "lets go down St Saviours" even when it is up!, caw chapin, gache, gache melee and many more.

Do let me return the favor. (favah). As most Americans know, Bostonians have their very own way of talking. I was never aware of it until I moved to Texas and someone asked me to pronounce the word "beeah" (Beer). Only then did I realize we just don't talk like the rest of the country. And we tend to make one syllable words into two.

The Wicked Good Guide to Boston English

Should you come to Boston as a tourist, I suggest you get the vocabulary guide immediately.
Enjoy! :angel:

Jenny and Addie , what is "fond" ?

Wyshie yours looks much better and plenty of sauce . Oh and good to see you have Stork in ,it's brilliant for cakes .
I am a bit late to chime in here. But here is a picture of a pan with fond after I pan fried some pork chops.

img_1417383_0_78d4f00650c642f80b6047d2aa895c54.jpg

That is the ultimate fond, msmofet. :ohmy::yum: Crispy, concentrated gold right there. YUM!

Wyshie, I too would prefer your dish over the picture of the one of the cookbook. Agree with others that cookbook photos are all too often not representative of the actual dish, and that's a shame. Like Andy mentioned, it could be very discouraging to a new cook.

Keep doing what you're doing Wyshie...I'm really enjoying your meal pics.

Last edited:
That is the ultimate fond, msmofet. :ohmy::yum: Crispy, concentrated gold right there. YUM!
Thank you. Makes wonderful gravy. I used that fond to make pork chops and sauerkraut.

Last edited:
It is also 'funny' how words you've been using all your life you think are general English usage.

I remember years ago saying to an English girlfriend "Caw boudiyax, the milk's gone muzzy it." Boudiyax = an expression of disgust. Muzzy = gone off, gone sour.

She looked at me as if I was mad. I found a whole list of words that day that weren't in common usage.

Budloe, Cheeri or chiri, bouzette, colimachon, we always go down somewhere as in "lets go down St Saviours" even when it is up!, caw chapin, gache, gache melee and many more.
In parts of mainland England "muzzy" means the woolly feeling such as you have when you are about to faint.

A lot of the words you quote sound on the French side. Are they Guernsey dialect words?

Last edited:
Gee, I know that Guernsey was a contested island between the French and England. And that it presently is under the protection of England, yet self ruling. And that Guernsey and Jersey cows make the most creamiest and delicious milk. I need to bone up of Guernsey and it history. :angel:

In parts of mainland England "muzzy" means the woolly feeling such as you have when you are about to faint.

A lot of the words you quote sound on the French side. Are they Guernsey dialect words?

Yes, the local patois. It is, sadly, dying out gradually. It is closer to Breton and Norman in origin.

The language was dealt a huge death blow in the second world war. Many of the schoolchildren on the island were evacuated just prior to the German army's occupation of the island. So most of the children went away to the UK mainland speaking Guernesiaise and returned four years later saying "How now brown cow." and "The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain." in almost perfect English regional accents.
I don't think the war was wholly to blame, it merely hurried along the process.

For the record Budloe is the name we give to our 'Guy' on Guy Fawkes night also known as Budloe night. Budloe is also a term of affection for a young lad. "Whato budloe, what you up to you?" It is believed that the name come from 'bout de l'an' the end of the year in French.

Cheeri or Chiri is what we say instead of goodbye, we might add "mon vieux" or even say "a la perchoine"

Bouzette is a cow pat.

Colimachon is a snail, I still remember the girls at school singing their skipping song "Coli colimachon show us your horns."

Caw chapin! an expression of surprise, I think it means "my hat"

Gache is a Guernsey fruit loaf, delicious spread with Guernsey butter.

Gache melee is an apple dessert.

I almost forgot baoncetchus, pronounced "bounchose" somersaults that children do.

Yes, the local patois. It is, sadly, dying out gradually. It is closer to Breton and Norman in origin.

The language was dealt a huge death blow in the second world war. Many of the schoolchildren on the island were evacuated just prior to the German army's occupation of the island. So most of the children went away to the UK mainland speaking Guernesiaise and returned four years later saying "How now brown cow." and "The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain." in almost perfect English regional accents.
I don't think the war was wholly to blame, it merely hurried along the process.

For the record Budloe is the name we give to our 'Guy' on Guy Fawkes night also known as Budloe night. Budloe is also a term of affection for a young lad. "Whato budloe, what you up to you?" It is believed that the name come from 'bout de l'an' the end of the year in French.

Cheeri or Chiri is what we say instead of goodbye, we might add "mon vieux" or even say "a la perchoine"

Bouzette is a cow pat.

Colimachon is a snail, I still remember the girls at school singing their skipping song "Coli colimachon show us your horns."

Caw chapin! an expression of surprise, I think it means "my hat"

Gache is a Guernsey fruit loaf, delicious spread with Guernsey butter.

Gache melee is an apple dessert.

I almost forgot baoncetchus, pronounced "bounchose" somersaults that children do.
Thanks for that Wyshi.

"Cheeri or Chiri is what we say instead of goodbye," Like "Cheerio" over here although I haven't heard that in a while as I mix with younger peoplequite a lot of the timke..

I find dialect really interesting.

I love all the language tid bits here!

That's a perfect picture of fond MsM, but if the truth be known, I'd never heard the word before coming here. Then again, I wasn't raised with proper culinary terms and "crispy bits" got the message across just fine. Whatever it's called, it's sure the key to tasty food.

Back
Top Bottom