Cooking burgers on a skillet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iKevin

Assistant Cook
So, our family recent purchased a cast iron skillet, and I'm loving it so far. I was just wondering how cooking burgers on it would be. Would it be better to just stick to a frying pan, or would it be better to use the skillet? Thanks in advance.

We love cooking steaks and burgers on our skillet. All we do is put it on the heat and let it get smokin hot then before adding the meat sprinkle with kosher salt add your meat let it alone til it releases. Then enjoy,
kadesma

We love cooking steaks and burgers on our skillet. All we do is put it on the heat and let it get smokin hot then before adding the meat sprinkle with kosher salt add your meat let it alone til it releases. Then enjoy,
kadesma
yup what she said!!
img_868637_0_51e124f832e2ff27a9629f71701a1cd3.gif

img_868637_1_3e47577c094082cf72ca8086517db414.jpg

I use a splatter screen on my cast iron skillet... and I love the use of it for hamburgers! I even use a small 6" one that holds just a single patty. The cast iron seems to give them a better crust to the meat than an ordinary skillet.

I use a splatter screen on my cast iron skillet... and I love the use of it for hamburgers! I even use a small 6" one that holds just a single patty. The cast iron seems to give them a better crust to the meat than an ordinary skillet.
yup i agree nice crust and i also have a tiny single burger CI and a splatter screen.

I am not a fan of doing my burgers on the stove top as I would rather just walk outside and go to the grill even if that means shoveling a path. If I were to cook it inside though then I would absolutely grab my CI skillet.

I did burgers in my CI skillet last night because it was just too darn cold to walk across the deck to the grill.

SO and I discussed the two cooking methods and decided we didn't care whether the burgers were done in a skillet or on the grill.

I cook my burgers in my cast iron skillet. I finish my wife's burger in the oven as she likes it well done and leaving it in the skillet would burn the out side before the inside is done enough for her.

Why not?

Iron skillets or frying pans are the only way to go when you dont feel like cleaning the bbq on a cold day.They are also the only way to go any day for any frying needs.Take good care of them and they will last a life time.I have one of my grandmothers skillets and it is as non stick as you could get.I dont however know what all of the crusty stuff on the outside of the pan is.Oh well it still works.

Most of the time I do burgers in a skillet. We both like them on the rare side, and although they taste better on the grill, by the time we've got the coal started, etc, it only takes a couple of minutes to cook them and it seems like a waste of time. So on the stove. Do not have cast iron, but my trusty skillets work just fine. And yes, at times I go ahead and saute onions or mushrooms (or both), why not?

Oh, I've been lusting after an electric griddle. I just hate to buy one more piece of kitchen equipment and want to think I'll use it enough to justify the price. If I do buy one, that's one application (also panini, Cuban sandwiches, small steaks & chops).

i do burgers in CI and no stick skillets and get a beautiful crust in either.

the CI heats to temp and cooks faster. this was fried in the non stick pan

img_870775_0_f57dd1aa10bbc9ebbad60c02a56beb91.jpg

i've found it better to cover the pan when cooking burgers ....
at least until the first flip.

in the past if had a nice looking outside with the inside raw ... and cooked for 10 mintues too

i've found it better to cover the pan when cooking burgers ....
at least until the first flip.

in the past if had a nice looking outside with the inside raw ... and cooked for 10 mintues too

Wow, those must be some thick burgers. I cook mine 2 minutes per side, and that's for well done.

I would be more apt to cook my burgers medium if I ground my own hamburg, because I simply don't trust the commercial meat. If the company doesn't clean their grinder well, real well, then you run the risk of E. Coli.

But I love my CI. I don't care for it when I saute vegetables, because I'm one of those people who like to get fancy and flip the veggies by flicking the wrist, and the CI is too darn heavy. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom