Cooking egg yolks without scrambling them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hamlet_cat

Assistant Cook
Hi, I have pretty much given up on cooking egg yolks because I end up scrambling them every time. I have tried so many times to do Hollandaise sauce and always scramble the yolks. Is there a temperature range where they won't scramble or is the key to add an acid or fat to prevent them from scrambling. I always wind up with extra egg yolks because I use the whites to make other things. I would like to be able to use them in some type of sauce but it never works for me. I also don't want to eat them raw either, so I would like to find a way to cook them without scrambling them.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I have pretty much given up on cooking egg yolks because I end up scrambling them every time. I have tried so many times to do Hollandaise sauce and always scramble the yolks. Is there a temperature range where they won't scramble or is the key to add an acid or fat to prevent them from scrambling. I always wind up with extra egg yolks because I use the whites to make other things. I would like to be able to use them in some type of sauce but it never works for me. I also don't want to eat them raw either, so I would like to find a way to cook them without scrambling them.

Thanks in advance.

When making hollandaise a double boiler is your friend. I melt my butter in the double boiler then pour it off to something else and then turn the stove off before starting the yolks (that way it is warm but not pumping more heat in).

The cook right quick and easy if you leave the stove on.

Heat management is key with yolks. Using a double boiler, the water in the bottom should be barely simmering and no where near the bottom of the top pan or bowl. Be prepared to lift the top part of the DB off the bottom during the whisking process to manage how hot the yolks get.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, heat does matter. Always use a double boiler or a heatproof bowl over a pan of hot (not boiling) water.Do a search for delia on-line hollandaise. This is on Delia Smith's website and she has an almost fool-proof method for hollandaise.

If you are making ice cream you can add an extra yolk to the eggs for the custard base to make it extra rich.

Other suggestions - fettucini alfredo, mayonnaise, aioli, Caesar salad dressing

You can also freeze egg yolks either singly in ice cube trays or in twos or fours in a plastic box. Always stir them and add either a pinch of salt or a pinch of sugar per egg depending on whether you intend them for sweet or savoury use. The salt or sugar stops the yolk congealing.

Last edited:
I've made hollandaise sauce for over 30 years (Himself's favorite fancy breakfast is Eggs Benedict) and have 1) never used a double boiler, 2) never dirtied a blender, and 3) never had a flop sauce. As a bonus, if you have any left over it reheats ok in a microwave set to very low power.

I've used the recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook circa 1960s that used to be my Mom's till I got married. You CAN tell there is lemon in the sauce, but once over food it isn't an issue, IMO.

The book specifies using a wooden spoon. I've always used my old wooden spoon. Don't know if that's the secret but I'm not going to test it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom