Cooking Frozen Meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Things are different today, I hear every mother say, cooking fresh food for a husband's just a drag. So she buys an instant cake and she burns her frozen steak, and goes running for the shelter of a mother's little helper, and it helps her on her way, gets her through her busy day

Pork is different now in the United States, but I wonder if it is in the United Kingdom. When we were in Ireland in 2003, the pork was much more fatty than we typically get here. That doesn't necessarily mean that the pork has more trichinosis, but it makes me wonder.

Last edited:
You can't get food poisoning from frozen chicken. But you can get it from undercooked chicken. Frozen or thawed, it needs to be cooked to 160-165 to be safe.
I'm so sorry, I didn't think I had to explain what seemed to me perfectly straight forward. If you try to cook chicken from frozen and get the timing/temperature wrong there is a strong possibility that it will not be heated sufficiently to kill any food poisoning organism. This advice from the Food Standards Agency (in the UK) seems to assume that anyone who is stupid enough not to thaw the frozen chicken before cooking is also stupid enough not to cook it properly.

All chickens and their cousins can harbour campylobacter and salmonella in their gut and factory processing can spread faecal matter onto the flesh. Hence the advice not to wash poultry before cooking it and the instruction to wash hands well after handling it.

And in any case if you did manage to cook the frozen chicken thoroughly it would not only cost a lot more in gas or electricity than if defrosted but the outside would probably be burned before the inside was cooked.

I'm so sorry, I didn't think I had to explain what seemed to me perfectly straight forward. If you try to cook chicken from frozen and get the timing/temperature wrong there is a strong possibility that it will not be heated sufficiently to kill any food poisoning organism. This advice from the Food Standards Agency (in the UK) seems to assume that anyone who is stupid enough not to thaw the frozen chicken before cooking is also stupid enough not to cook it properly.

All chickens and their cousins can harbour campylobacter and salmonella in their gut and factory processing can spread faecal matter onto the flesh. Hence the advice not to wash poultry before cooking it and the instruction to wash hands well after handling it.

And in any case if you did manage to cook the frozen chicken thoroughly it would not only cost a lot more in gas or electricity than if defrosted but the outside would probably be burned before the inside was cooked.

My point is equally straightforward.

There is nothing inherent to frozen chicken that makes it less safe than thawed.

"If you try to cook chicken from frozen or thawed and get the timing/temperature wrong there is a strong possibility that it will not be heated sufficiently to kill any food poisoning organism"

Frozen or thawed, the only imperative is that the chicken has been thoroughly cooked to a safe temperature.

And there are many techniques to safely cook chicken that is frozen.

I guess it's easier to get the timing wrong with frozen chicken, especially if someone judges doneness by appearance.

I don't eat a lot of chicken. I have, however, cooked a hamburger patty from frozen in my George Foreman and it came out just about perfect. My father cooks frozen burgers in the microwave.

I think the speaker explained why they were using so much oil while cooking the frozen steak. Usually if a steak comes to our house, a rare event, it gets gobbled up so fast it doesn't have time to get frozen. I might try the method just to test the theory just in case it does make for a tastier steak.

I find that most chefs advice is to have the meat at room temp before cooking it as it doesn't cool down the grill or oven as much as cold meat. Just what I have observed.

My point is equally straightforward.

There is nothing inherent to frozen chicken that makes it less safe than thawed.

"If you try to cook chicken from frozen or thawed and get the timing/temperature wrong there is a strong possibility that it will not be heated sufficiently to kill any food poisoning organism"

Frozen or thawed, the only imperative is that the chicken has been thoroughly cooked to a safe temperature.

And there are many techniques to safely cook chicken that is frozen.
I stand by my statement.

Back
Top Bottom