Cooking grits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonshadow

Assistant Cook
So for many many years I have "cooked" Quaker instant grits on stove for 15 min up to an hour or two. With a lot of stirring, they get very creamy and delicious.

But living in MN, its impossible to get bulk boxes of instant grits - most come in packets which don't do me any good for cooking for family.
Surprisingly, I can't find large boxes (35 oz or bigger) of instant grits anywhere on internet.

So I tried Quaker orig grits and cooked them similarly on the stove (salt water, slowly stirred in, cooked low heat and stirred a lot) - even with lots more salt and they still turned out terrible. Both taste and texture.

Going to try quick grits next but am scratching my head why I can't cook basic grits.
Any suggestions?

Hi, Moonshadow, and welcome.

I've never used instant grits, only ground cornmeal. Goya coarse ground yellow cornmeal, to be exact. I don't add much salt at all. I cook it for about an hour, stirring frequently but not constantly, and keep adding liquid to it as it thickens. The bag calls for a four-to-one ratio of water to meal, but I end up adding at least a full cup more of liquid as it cooks.

I use whatever liquid is compatible with the meal I'll be serving it with, such as chicken broth for a gumbo. Usually, though, I use half milk (2%) and half water. A large chunk of butter, and cheese if it goes with the meal, are great additions to it right before you serve.

Maybe a milk-water blend would help you, and adding more liquid, too. Good luck!

I've considered trying a finer ground corn since I have fine ground for baking, but I've read that too small of a grind results in a pan of paste. No, thanks! :LOL:

Here in my part of the South, grits can be part of just about any meal. As a matter of fact, we're going to have grits tomorrow for breakfast.

I've never had any experience with quick grits. Always been cooking the original version.

You might want to have a look-see at this information from Southern Living magazine. I've never had anything bad from those folks.

Thanks for info thus far.
I am familiar with using broth or a milk combo but haven't tried. Also,have "finished" the grits many ways with bfast and dinner combos. Historically I start with far more water than grits and as they cook keep them stirred and add water as necessary so they don't get too thick.

What specific brands are you using (thanks for the Goya)?

IMO, having nothing is better than having instant grits. Delta Grind gets my vote for real grits. You can order on line.

Welcome to DC!

Courtesy of the late George Carlin:

Hi there folks. Welcome to the cooking show. A lot of you folks been writing in asking us “How do you cook them damn grits?” Well, we're gonna to show you today how you cook them damn grits.

First of all kinda get those grits down is a shallow sauce pan, kinda get a little water, about an inch and a halfa water above them grits. Get that thing boilin', get a good high rollin' boil, a high rollin' boil, we call it a high rollin' boil. Get that thing goin' good then you're gonna drain them off a little bit, drain them off a little bit, get a little steam out here, drain them off a little bit.

Get 'em down a little bit of moist little patties, two fat moist little patties. Put 'em in a hot skillet, a hot skillet with lots of hot grease, get 'em brown on one side, get 'em brown on the other side, and then throw 'em away. They're no good folks, you can't eat them damn grits.

Hi there folks. Welcome to the cooking show. A lot of you folks been writing in asking us “How do you cook them damn grits?” We're going to show you today how you cook them damn grits.

First of all kinda get those grits down is a shallow sauce pan, kinda get a little water, about an inch and a halfa water above them grits. Get that thing boilin' good, get a good rollin' boil, a high rollin' boil, we call it a high rollin' boil. Get that thing goin' good then you're gonna drain them off a little bit, drain them off a little bit get a little steam out here, drain them off a little bit.

Get 'em down a little bit into moist little patties, get 'em down into moist little patties, two little fat little moist little patties. Put 'em in a hot skillet, a hot skillet with lots of hot grease, get 'em brown on one side, get 'em brown on the other side, and then throw 'em away! They're no good folks, you can't eat them damn grits.

Instant grits cooked for hours?
We like grits and never use the instant. We use stone ground yellow grits.
They take 20-25 minutes.
They are great. Salt, pepper and REAL butter for me.

I love grits and usually use Albers quick grits - you can find these in most stores and on amazon. They come in a box and take about 10 minutes to cook.

There are several kinds of grits and I think that if you are cooking for hours - you're probably using stone ground and maybe cooking more than needed.

Stone ground: Stone-Ground Grits can take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes. Can be soaked in water overnight, but it is not necessary. Stone-Ground Grits are very perishable and should be stored in the freezer (they get rancid).

Quick and Regular grits take 5 to 15 minutes to cook

Instant: Comes in packets; add hot water and stir. Avoid these - they just aren't very good, imo and are often loaded with salt

Let me rephrase that I don't "cook" instant for hours more that they simmer for an hour sometimes while everything else is cooking.
Thanks all.

Try Quaker Quick grits

Because instant grits are already cooked, then dried, you probably will never get the same super smooth texture with quick or regular grits.

People who are used to non-instant grits sometimes poo-poo instant because they aren't as flavorful and are too smooth.

Try the quick and see what you think or go whole hog with some of the real thing.

Let me rephrase that I don't "cook" instant for hours more that they simmer for an hour sometimes while everything else is cooking.
Thanks all.

Welcome to DC.

If they are "simmering" for an hour, they are cooking for an hour. Sorry.

I'll be honest, I refuse to eat instant or quick grits. I'd just rather not have grits then eat either of those. Can't stand the lack of texture or taste quite honestly, even when loaded up with salt, pepper and butter. Even polenta has more texture than instant grits, which I liken to glue paste as far as taste and texture.

I use stone-ground grits when I make them and usually cook them at basically a simmer for close to an hour or even longer sometimes. They always still have some texture to them even though they are creamy.

Back
Top Bottom