Cooking Heat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Learning2Cook45

Assistant Cook
I am wondering what kind of cooking heat you use when cooking diff types of things.

For example:
- When cooking onions/garlic
- When cooking meat
- When sauteeing veggies

Any general rules of thumb for cooking heat?

It depends entirely on what is being cooked, and the dish it is going in. Onions, FI, sometimes are cooked at a low heat, just enough to soften them, while other times they are cooked at higher temps to caramelize them. Usually, garlic is added only on medium heat, or lower, for 30-60 sec, so that it doesn't burn, but there are some dishes in which the garlic is browned, and the bitterness goes well in the dish. There are a number of temperatures given to heat meats to, but different temps to use to get them there. The only general temp I could give is for boiling water, for something like pasta, using a high heat!

Last edited:
For me onions between med and med-low depending on how much time I have to cook/break them down. The longer the time I have the lower I may leave the temp. For kicks try splashing in some orange juice after cooking say 20min and let it soak them in. Some people like it some don’t. Worth experimenting to see if u like it.

Garlic as was said med and quick. I would say similar for ginger for me too.

Meats for browning/searing purposes I like med-high and cast iron skillet. Past that up to you on how you want to get it to the temp u want. Use a temp probe to get proper temp every time. They r cheap these days and digital.

Veggies varies for me depending on the veg. As example I like to sauté string beans in a little oil at med heat and throw in some butter and crushed garlic.

Last edited:
I am wondering what kind of cooking heat you use when cooking diff types of things.

For example:
- When cooking onions/garlic
- When cooking meat
- When sauteeing veggies

Any general rules of thumb for cooking heat?

Just about anything can be cooked in various temperature ranges. Take meat for example, steaks can be done hot and fast on a grill or in a cast iron pan, large pieces such as brisket, pork butt/shoulder are better, IMO, done low and slow, 225F for long periods 8+ hours. Everything depends on the results you want.

Back
Top Bottom