Cooking journey??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natalie1713

Assistant Cook
Hi there, i love cooking and once a week i cook a dish and dessert from a different country around the world. now im wondering once i have finished this what can i do then just as a hobby/ little cooking project? any ideas? xx

If you have a chef that you like, maybe get one of their cookbooks and work your way through it kind of like the movie "Julie and Julia" where a woman cooked every recipe in a Julia Child cookbook. It might be fun to find a "vintage" cookbook and try older recipes too.

Hi there, i love cooking and once a week i cook a dish and dessert from a different country around the world. now im wondering once i have finished this what can i do then just as a hobby/ little cooking project? any ideas? xx

Welcome to DC!

Don't stop with one dish from a country, embrace the whole cuisine! Life is short, get to it!:yum:

What did you from Sweden? I just wonder..
I would say learn more about cuisines that are not "posh" enough to end up in cooking magazines.

i have yet to do sweden, but have planned to do it was a bit hard to find swedish dishes so the plan is swedish meatballs and a swedish potato dish and for dessert kladdkaka, are you swedish?

thank you, will read it later when toddler is in bed. its a really fun thing to do and without it wouldnt have discovered my toddler loves indian food.

Her daughter was a baby, I think, when she started. She has videos of her daughter trying new things and helping prepare things when she got older - so cute :)

thats part of the reason im doing it so my son can explore more food as english food is dull in comparison to other countries, he is 2.5 yrs old and he helps me cook it all he loves using the american cups and spoons to measure things. found out the other day he likes chilli powder after he decided to lick a sppon of it then said i like that mummy bit strange lol.

What did you from Sweden? I just wonder..
I would say learn more about cuisines that are not "posh" enough to end up in cooking magazines.

i have yet to do sweden, but have planned to do it was a bit hard to find swedish dishes so the plan is swedish meatballs and a swedish potato dish and for dessert kladdkaka, are you swedish?

Not Swedish, but I read about Raggmunk in a fiction book I was reading and want to try them. One recipe I found suggested using pancetta for the pork part of the dish. We can get the lingon berry preserves or jam from Ikea but not the fresh berries so that will have to do.

https://sweden.se/culture-traditions/raggmunk/

Yes I am Swedish, I did post a recipe for meatballs, a proper meatball dinner is boiled potatoes, cream gravy ( that recipe is in the comments of the meatball recipe), meatballs, quick pickled cucumber and lingonjam , you can use cranberry sauce as a substitute. There other main dishes that are lovely too, like kåldolmar meat rolled in cabbage, Dillkött a veal or lamb stew with dill sauce , gravlax with gavlax sauce and boiled potatoes. Yum

I do have good recipe for kladdkaka, yes it is a common dessert and very easy to do. We do have other lovely things to eat, like curd cake our form of cheese cake, Gotland pankaka a saffron and rice pudding, Plättar ( mini pancakes) with jam and whipped cream, waffles with jam and whipped cream or a semla a filled roll with marzipan and whipped cream .

Raggmunk by the way is potato pancakes, our version and you can use un smoked cured bacon for this, yes it taste like our salt fläsk. Trust me, I have made raggmunk in Scotland.

That sounds like a great cooking adventure.
Other ideas....learn new techniques/skills.
Or take an ingredient(s) that you generally don't like or steer away from and embrace it.

Back
Top Bottom