Cooking multiple items in a microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khampson

Assistant Cook
Hello, I just got myself a new microwave oven, what I would like to know is if I buy rice and curry from a shop can I cook them together? The curry says cook for 7 minutes and the rice says 4 minutes, I know cooking more items require more cooking times. If I cook the curry for 7 minutes separately then cook the rice for 4 minutes my curry goes cold. So do I cook the curry on its own for 3 minutes putting the rice in then and cooking them both together for 4 minutes?

Also can I cook multiple dishes of potatoes in one dish and vegetables in another dish sat on top? Just not sure if everything has to be put in separate and surely a microwave is not just for reheating precooked food.

Thanks Keith

Welcome to DC. Yes if you find the curry is goes cold then do the curry for 3 minutes and then both together for the remaining 4.

Everything does not have to be in separate dishes. You can do it however you like.

Try things out and see what works best for you. Remember there are no microwave police so feel free to experiment and see what method you like best. No one is going to come pounding on your door with an arrest warrant.

Thanks for the warm welcome, I am willing to trial and error as long as I dont nuke my food, I suggested separate dishes because my gut felling is that vegetables would cook faster that say potatoes. But thank you

Things cook unevenly in microwaves based on where they are (towards the center or towards the outer edge). For even cooking you will want to stir and rearrange the food partway through cooking. Less dense foods will also cook faster than more dense foods (this is true of any cooking method), but I don't think them being in one dish or multiple dishes will have much if any effect.

Does your microwave have a rotating dish inside? If so, it might be tough to have multiple dishes in at the same time and still have it rotate. Give it a shot though. You won't hurt anything. The worse case scenario is that you have a meal that is not evenly heated and you learn what didn't work this time around.

Things cook unevenly in microwaves based on where they are (towards the center or towards the outer edge). For even cooking you will want to stir and rearrange the food partway through cooking. Less dense foods will also cook faster than more dense foods (this is true of any cooking method), but I don't think them being in one dish or multiple dishes will have much if any effect.

Does your microwave have a rotating dish inside? If so, it might be tough to have multiple dishes in at the same time and still have it rotate. Give it a shot though. You won't hurt anything. The worse case scenario is that you have a meal that isn' not evenly heated and you learn what didn't work this time around.

Yes it has a revolving plate, I was thinking about getting a large glass dish that has different sections to add different veg, my family dont all like the same veg and this was another reason for cooking food separate.

If anyone can help. What is the best way to cook veg in the microwave, I would normally boil it on the hob. Thanks for your help

Ok... so we stand down the Microwave SWAT team then? :mrgreen:

The upside of using a microwave is it is usually pretty quick, so even if you do need to separate things it doesn't take too long, unless of course you are running off and inverter attached to your boat batteries, then it all takes way too long.

Try it a couple of different ways and see what woks. Different ovens do things differently as well.

Yes it has a revolving plate, I was thinking about getting a large glass dish that has different sections to add different veg, my family dont all like the same veg and this was another reason for cooking food separate.

If anyone can help. What is the best way to cook veg in the microwave, I would normally boil it on the hob. Thanks for your help

Microwave cooking is a moist cooking method, so steaming works well, and it prevents losing nutrients into boiling water. I put vegetables in a small bowl with a few tablespoons of water and steam them, then add seasonings when they're done.

What is the best way to cook veg in the microwave
It depends on the type of veggies.

With things like beans (edemame, string, etc) I generally put them in a bowl and season however I feel then sprinkle a little water (teaspoon to table spoon or so) and then cook for a few minutes.

To steam the vegetables do you need to do this in a sealed container or just sit something on the top so the pressure can escape?

Keith

You don't even need anything on top I have found. If you want something though a moistened paper towel works well and then you can use that same paper towel to wipe down the inside of the over when done. Just be careful not to burn your hand.

You can, yes. Frozen veggies usually have a little bit of ice crystals already on them so often times you can put them in without any added water.

My microwave has a button that stops the tray from rotating. I use that when I use my oblong dish that would hit the sides if rotated. It just involves more stirring.

To steam the vegetables do you need to do this in a sealed container or just sit something on the top so the pressure can escape?

Keith
Don't put anything in a sealed container in the m/wave as it's bad for the nerves! If the container is rigid I often just put a plate on top. You can also use cling film and either turn up an edge or perforate it with a knife, etc,.)to let the hot air out. Covering food also keeps the inside of the m/wave clean if you're cooking/heating something likely to splutter.

We never use the microwave as the main cooking appliance.
We use it as an addition to the range oven and stove top.

In many instances its just used for reheating already prepared foods.
We have found those "steamer" vegetables are pretty damn good and very easy. Two servings is just right for my wife and myself.

And i don't think any popcorn has been made on the stove for at least 25 years. Maybe more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom