Cooking Off Excess White Wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grjasewe

Assistant Cook
Hello Everyone, first post, am excited to be here.

I rarely cook with alcohol so please pardon any mistakes I have made.

Last night I was making a pasta sauce and wanted to reduce some white wine which I did on simmer for about 10 minutes. After putting my al dente linguine in a large mixing bowl I added the sauce which contained calamari rings at that point. I was trying to determine as I was eating my creation what effect that might have had on the taste of the sauce, but I could not taste any appreciable difference. Well I think I got a little buzzed off the creation and am feeling a bit sickish today. I have used the same type of white white successfully recently (myself and guests) with branzino. Overnight I covered the bowl containing remaining pasta/sauce with plastic wrap and noticed an excessive amount of condensation when I got up this morning.

So my question at this point, now that the pasta and the sauce are mixed, is there any way of reheating/repreparing the meal without destroying the meal (particularly the calamari rings) and not having a repeat performance with the alcohol content?

-Greg

If you simmered the wine for 10 minutes, little alcohol remained. Not sure how much you used but it's not likely there was enough to give you a buzz.

Reheat the combined sauce and pasta gently until just warm enough to eat.

WELCOME

According to the USDA chart, about 40% of the alcohol you originally added possibly remained in the sauce. And since you were using a small amount of alcohol in the first place, it's doubtful that it had an effect on you.

Alcohol Burn-off Chart

You should definitely be able to taste it, though.

It likely had nothing to do with the condensation.

Now that it's all together, it would be very difficult to "burn off" the remianing alcohol without ruining the squid and making the pasta very soft.

But you could bake it in the oven for an hour or two.

It's impossible to remove all the alcohol, by the way. It never all "burns off."

If you used a half-cup of wine (12.5% alcohol), it contains a tablespoon of alcohol. If you simmer it for 10 minutes, there would be about a half-tablespoon of alcohol remaining. That's a quarter ounce of alcohol. Not very much at all. Hardly worth considering unless you have an allergy to alcohol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom