Cooking potatoes in coconut milk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argamemnon

Senior Cook
I found some recipe on a blog where they cooked the potatoes in milk instead of water. The mashed potatoes tasted much better this way according to the author....

Anyway, I have a few cans of coconut milk that I still haven't been able to use and thought maybe it's a good idea to make mashed potatoes cooking them in coconut milk, or half coconutmilk/ half milk. Would that be a good idea??? :innocent:

I think I would try coconut rice instead of potatoes. IMO that would be an odd taste combo.

I've had potatoes cooked in coconut milk several times in Thai and Malaysian restaurants in NY, and I've done it myself at home. It's great!

I think potatoes cooked in coconut milk is also popular in some Caribbean cuisine. I would try the recipe "as is" the first time ... if the coconut flavor is too strong, then try diluting it with some milk the next time.

Alix is right about coconut rice - it's great!

Maybe if u used a sweeter potato, like a batata or something like that, then the coconut/ potato combo may appear more ' normal' , but ive never tried it either way, so im totally talking off the top of my head now :P

If you have coconut milk to use up Id go with Alix re the rice. I eat rice cooked this way reasonably often and add some lime zest also. Just fantastic stuff but I DO only use 1/2 coconut milk, the rest is water. :angel:
Gotta look after these aging hips. ;)

Boil the potato any way you like to get it half way there and then finish cooking in oil with flavor....In my opinion, if coconut milk is being used, then it should be used for another ingredient than potatos.

I would use coconut milk, lemongrass and a curry to "poach" a fish and then cook the potatos (half cooked) in hot oil with a red curry paste.....oh well, what do I know????

Just an offer....have fun with the options

Back
Top Bottom