Cooking Skills I Used Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did a batter dip on chicken tenders Sunday...

As usual, whenever I do a batter dip I try to make certain I keep one hand dry.. Also, as usual I can never do that and end up with gooey stuff on BOTH hands..

I guess my batter dipping, cooking skills are hopeless.. :wacko:

Ross

I used knife slicing and dicing skills to chop an onion for spaghetti sauce, browned ground chuck and onion in non-stick frying pan, then put ground beef & onions in Ninja cooker and used can-opening skills for 2 cans petite diced tomatoes and 2 cans Hunts pasta sauce. Simmered on low for about 2 hours. Got big pot full of water and when it was boiling, put 1lb angel hair pasta on for 4 minutes. After sauce and pasta were mixed together and put in a serving bowl, I used another knife skill (spreading) to put some butter on bread and toasted it in the oven.

I did a lot yesterday, when you put it this way [emoji38]

I trimmed, cut, broiled, skinned and puréed plum tomatoes, then roasted them to make tomato paste. I also dehydrated the skins to make tomato powder.

I trimmed and diced tomatoes and julienned fresh basil to make caprese salad.

I baked a batch of burger buns.

I formed burgers and collaborated with DH to sear them on the cast iron griddle.

It was a busy day.

....and pots and pans? :)
------------------------------
It's still early, but so far today I fork-scrambled a couple of eggs, and used a serrated knife to peel and chop a mango. Slippery little devils. :D It helps to cut a slice off of the bottom so it can stand upright while cutting around that huge seed.

Fun thread, Princess!

I put my spoon in the bottom of the yogurt container and managed to evenly stir in all the cherry chunks!

As usual, whenever I do a batter dip I try to make certain I keep one hand dry.. Also, as usual I can never do that and end up with gooey stuff on BOTH hands..

Ross

Yeah, I set out to do that every time, but always fail. :rolleyes:

CD

Ross

My first husband told me to hide my dry hand behind my back until I get used to keeping it as the clean hand. It took me quite a while, but I finally learned, one wet hand, one dry one. I also use a fork when I am doing the wet work. Or a pair of small tongs I won many, many eons ago at one of those stupid house parties where you buy stuff you JUST have to have. The only reason I still have those tongs is because everyone who sees them, think they are just so cute!

My husband also told me that when he was in cooking school, the head teaching chef would tie your hand behind if you brought it up front. He had his hand tied behind him more than once.

He attended three different cooking schools. Including the Cordon Bleu. I learned a lot from him. And in turn, I taught him some New England recipes. Like corn chowder. One of his favorite dishes in the winter time.

I make sure that my wet bowl has enough mixture in it so that it covers the food item completely. When I am transferring it to the dry ingredients with a fork or my tongs, I let the item drip before I place it in the dry ingredients. It helps keep the lumpies from forming in the dry ingredients. I have a spoon in the dry bowl and it makes it easier to cover the food item completely.

It takes practice, but you can learn to keep that one hand dry.

....and pots and pans? :)
------------------------------
It's still early, but so far today I fork-scrambled a couple of eggs, and used a serrated knife to peel and chop a mango. Slippery little devils. :D It helps to cut a slice off of the bottom so it can stand upright while cutting around that huge seed.

Fun thread, Princess!

Thought it up after a full day of not doing much of anything, I used even fewer skills today. Stirred a cup of cold coffee with cream with a spoon and handed over cash to folks who fixed me food.

No cooking skills employed today as I didn't cook. I did, however, use some slicing skills so I could assemble a sandwich. So I guess I used assembly skills. Oh, I opened a bag of potato chips and a bottle of pickles. Does that count?

No cooking skills employed today as I didn't cook. I did, however, use some slicing skills so I could assemble a sandwich. So I guess I used assembly skills. Oh, I opened a bag of potato chips and a bottle of pickles. Does that count?

Any skill that puts food in your mouth, I think I will draw the line at chewing and swallowing.:rolleyes:

Thought it up after a full day of not doing much of anything, I used even fewer skills today. Stirred a cup of cold coffee with cream with a spoon and handed over cash to folks who fixed me food.

You shouldn't spend all your energy on such exhausting tasks. You need a nice long nap now.

You shouldn't spend all your energy on such exhausting tasks. You need a nice long nap now.

Just not hungry and I find it even more of a chore to cook than I did when I was trying to get Shrek to eat. I'll come around, always do, but my joy of cooking is dormant right now.

Back
Top Bottom