Cooking snakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blubbs

Assistant Cook
I am not big on cooking, mainly just grits and chicken for me. However I have snakes out around my house(nonvenomous) and was just wondering if anyone here has some advice or can point me in the right direction for tastey ways to cook up the lovely critters.

Based on TV, you need to hunt them down barehanded, dispatch them in ways
unknown, strip the skin off, string them on a stick and roast them over a fire.

That you built yourself using the broken bottom of a Coke bottle, one old shoe and
the dry inner rot from a rotted fallen tree, in the rain.

And it will be delicious! ;) Just kidding, I dunno how to cook snake.

BUT..... welcome to the neighborhood. :)

Hunting down and killing is not a problem. I keep rose clippers by my chicken coop because I catch a snake every month or so stealing eggs. Killing stuff like that is all just part of the game when you live in the south ;)

Then you could do what our Aboriginal people do, make up a good boory, chuck the snake on, wait until it goes black, then skin and eat --- it doesn't look very nice though, always full of ash.
All snakes are protected here, only the indigenous people can take them for food. We are not allowed to carry guns either, so they're pretty safe.

Then you could do what our Aboriginal people do, make up a good boory, chuck the snake on, wait until it goes black, then skin and eat --- it doesn't look very nice though, always full of ash.
All snakes are protected here, only the indigenous people can take them for food. We are not allowed to carry guns either, so they're pretty safe.
Ohh sounds cool, I might try that at my next bonfire.

I never have cooked any nonvenomous snakes. They are best left to eat rats and mice around here. On the other hand, rattlesnakes are mighty good. I fillet 'em and cut 'em up in 4-5 inch pieces, roll 'em in seasoned flour or cornmeal, fry 'em till they are golden brown. Some folks say they taste like chicken, but they really don't. They taste more like frog legs than anything else.

If I remember correctly, they can be cooked up just like chicken. Rattlesnake tastes like chicken too.

To skin a snake, first cut off its head and bury it. Then cut the skin down the body 15 to 20 centimeters (Figure 8-24). Peel the skin back, then grasp the skin in one hand and the body in the other and pull apart. On large, bulky snakes it may be necessary to slit the belly skin. Cook snakes in the same manner as small game. Remove the entrails and discard. Cut the snake into small sections and boil or roast it.

I think the head burying only applies when you are out camping or whatever. At home you can dispose of it just as you would any other animal parts.

You bury the head because the venom (if it is venomous) is still active even after the head is cut off so if someone steps on it they could be in trouble.

I am not big on cooking, mainly just grits and chicken for me. However I have snakes out around my house(nonvenomous) and was just wondering if anyone here has some advice or can point me in the right direction for tastey ways to cook up the lovely critters.

I've always wondered, what are grits?? :) I know the expression kiss my grits from an old tv show but I always thought she meant kiss my a--.

The old TV show "Alice". The phrase made her famous and safe from the censors.

To know Grits you have to first also know Hominy, but simply put it is ground up corn that is boiled and then often fried. Yellow corn grits are not too bad, but hominy grits I relate to worse than cream of wheat. I guess you have to be from the South to enjoy.

Grits, most often served in the South (USA) are coarsely ground corn that has been boiled into a porridge. It is usually served at breakfast time, but they are good anytime IMHO. Some folks like to add milk/cream and sugar on their grits. You can add cheese to them, which is mighty tasty.
I like butter, salt and pepper on mine.

SNAKES: all snakes are edible. I, personally, have only eaten rattlesnake ... it taste something like frog legs - but I guess if you have never eaten frog legs then the next best example would be chicken. It's like a long string of chicken wish-bones ... dredge in flour - dip in a buttermilk and egg wash - then into a seasoned flour (S&P) then into a skillet of hot grease and fry like chicken. Pour off most of the grease, add some flour to make a brown roux, then add milk to make gravy. Serve with the rattler over smashed potatoes and some buttermilk biscuits.

Small nonvenomous snakes are also pickled in some cultures - head, skin, guts, and all. They can also be found in bottles of some liquors ... although I don't think they are allowed into the US.

BURY THE HEADS: This is really only necessary for venomous species since the fangs still contain venom - and the venom sacks are still loaded with venom - someone picking up a head could receive a "bite" from a dead head with as much venoum as if it was a live critter. When I was in wilderness camp in scouts we had a burn - crush - bury method ... burn the head in the fire, then crush it between two rocks, and bury it - this destroys the venoum and keeps animals from digging them up.

WHAT ARE GRITS?: read this.

Old Southern expression: If you didn't want grits - why did you order breakfast?

I've always wondered, what are grits?? :) I know the expression kiss my grits from an old tv show but I always thought she meant kiss my a--.

I think the best way to describe grits would be to say they are similar to Polenta. Here's how I like my grits. Cheese Grits :)

Old Southern expression: If you didn't want grits - why did you order breakfast?

I love that!!:LOL: I keep trying them but haven't found any I like yet. I figure it is just a matter of finding a recipe that I like. I tried a couple from here but still didn't like em. But, I'm not the giving up kind!

As for snakes: Someone wants to catch em, kill em, skin and gut em, and cook em up I am willing to try em. But don't ask me to be in the same room while you are doing all that... oh and if you cook it up cut it up in sections so it doesn't look so much like a snake either...
I'm gettin the creeps, gotta get outta this thread, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom