Cooking tempeh?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uoficowboy

Assistant Cook
Tempeh remains one of those foods that I've never totally cooked perfectly.

Anyways - I was wondering if you all would have any suggestions for a fairly simple tempeh dish that I might be able to actually pull off?

Thanks!

-Michael

LOL - so I had to resort to going out to find out what the heck is Tempeh - sounds interesting. You might check out some of the recipes on that site Michael ... they don't seem difficult and some actually sounded like they might taste good.

Cut into strips, about the size of those wide french fries. Fry in oil until they get that golden brown color, then drizzle soy sauce on them. Not a main dish, but makes a great snack.

Also, Ill cut it into about 3 X 3 inch sections. fry on both sides until brown. Then, cook them in barbeque sauce until the sauce kinda thickens and sticks to the tempeh. ( i usually add a little honey to the barbeque sauce because I like the sweetness of it)

You can also marinade it in whatever, then grill.

I've had it grilled and then used in a vegetarian sushi with brown rice instead of white, peanut dipping sauce along with soy sauce - it was quite good! I've never tasted it just plain to know if it was flavored with anything before grilling.

Tempeh remains one of those foods that I've never totally cooked perfectly.

Anyways - I was wondering if you all would have any suggestions for a fairly simple tempeh dish that I might be able to actually pull off?

Thanks!

-Michael

I'm with you. It's been a couple years since I've even made it. Recently, I've been thinking of giving it another shot. One thing I do know is that most people boil it first to get rid of the bitterness before they cook it.

Here's some recipes that I've been looking at:

Nosto Buco - A tempeh patty in a wine sauce (I won't be using saffron)

Perfect Tempeh Burger - A burger made with shredded tempeh and vital wheat gluten.

Red Chile Tempeh - Tempeh chunks simmered in sauce. I'll probably use my own enchilada or mole sauce.

The most intriguing to me is the Red Chile Tempeh, where she simmers the tempeh in sauce (probably any sauce) until it begins to fall apart. I didn't even know tempeh did that. If it works even remotely well, I'll try it with sloppy joes.

Back
Top Bottom