Cooking with Chicken breast! What to do??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ODay13

Assistant Cook
I cook a lot of chicken breat and I have no idea what I can do to make it not so boring. I marinade it a lot of the times and just throw it in the oven! i am sure my boyfriend is getting sick of just regular chicken breast lol. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Need something new!
Thanks

A George Forman grill and some diffrent spice mixes work for us.
I can't cook a better B/S breast any other way.

Other dishes if you want more complicated:
Chicken Fajitas
Chicken Parmesan
Chicken kebobs marinated in greek yogurt and herbs
Chicken and veg foil packs.
Chicken Alfredo
Chicken Chicken fried Steak-I top mine with with tomato,avacado,swiss
Chicken Pizza
Chicken Shepherds Pie
Chicken Marinara with Spaghetti
Chicken and Rice Stuffed Peppers

Last edited:
i do them a lot on my george forman. also can bake many ways. one that i really like is just to pour chili sauce on top of them and bake. make tacos with em or just bake them. first dredge in flour. and then bake. you can find tons of ways to do them, on line.

Chicken Breast is such a versatile ingredient. You can do many things with it.

Boil the breast with a little diced garlic and chopped ginger, salt and water
When it's cooked, shredd it and make packets and store it in small ziploc bags in the freezer
Remove a bag and use it in enchiladas (look up chicken enchilada recipe) OR
Use antoher to make stir fry noodles (I just made these with whole wheat spaghetti, broken into peices, some veggies, green onions, eggs and stir fry sauce) and viola a good meal
OR
Make chicken salad sandwiches by using store bought mayonnaise, dried fruit of your choice, nuts chopped, celery, shredded boiled chicken and side of chips and again a nice meal
OR
Add it to soup of your choice. Chicken Noodle, Corn Chowder, etc.

You can in turn dice the raw chicken breast into chunks and make a curry out of it. If you like curry that is. If you are not an advance cook who has access to a ton of spices, go to any store and buy either a thai or indian curry in a bottle and some coconut milk. You can follow instructions, add the chicken chunks and then serve over white rice

You can also finely dice the chicken breast with a knife or in a food processor if you have one and it will turn into ground chicken. You can make meatloaf with it or add it to chili or make little meat balls with it and make sphagetti and meatballs

Finally you said you are looking for marinade ideas for chicken breast. Given I am Indian, I'll give you two with an Indian flair, try it you like the sound of it.

Cilantro and Mint Marinade - Bunch of cilantro, handful of fresh mint, 4 cloves of garlic, 1 cup of sweet cashews (not roasted), 1 green chili, salt, lime juice and a 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Throw this all in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour over the chicken breast and let it marinate for an hour or so. Bake or grill (don't discard the marinade, if you bake, pour it over as the chicken bakes, it makes a nice gravy) and enjoy with naan.

Yogurt Marinade - 1 cup of plain yogurt, 2 tsp chili powder, 1 tbsp of freshly grated ginger, 2 tbps of tomato puree or tomato sauce, salt, 1 cup of chopped cilantro, 1 tbsp of ground cumin, 1 tbsp of ground corrainder. Stir it all together and pour it over the breast. Again bake or grill and enjoy with anything that you like, flatbread, naan, rice, etc.

Pound them out, season with salt and pepper and brown them in a bit of olive oil in a lidded skillet. Add 1 large can of diced tomatoes, 1 small can sliced black olives, cover and simmer on low until the chicked in cooked. Just before serving squeee in the juice of 1/2 a small lemon.

Server over your favorite pasta or with a salad.

Last edited:
Chicken Breast is such a versatile ingredient. You can do many things with it.

Finally you said you are looking for marinade ideas for chicken breast. Given I am Indian, I'll give you two with an Indian flair, try it you like the sound of it.

Cilantro and Mint Marinade - Bunch of cilantro, handful of fresh mint, 4 cloves of garlic, 1 cup of sweet cashews (not roasted), 1 green chili, salt, lime juice and a 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Throw this all in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour over the chicken breast and let it marinate for an hour or so. Bake or grill (don't discard the marinade, if you bake, pour it over as the chicken bakes, it makes a nice gravy) and enjoy with naan.

Yogurt Marinade - 1 cup of plain yogurt, 2 tsp chili powder, 1 tbsp of freshly grated ginger, 2 tbps of tomato puree or tomato sauce, salt, 1 cup of chopped cilantro, 1 tbsp of ground cumin, 1 tbsp of ground corrainder. Stir it all together and pour it over the breast. Again bake or grill and enjoy with anything that you like, flatbread, naan, rice, etc.

Definitely going to try that yoghurt marinade. Sounds yummy. Marinate that one for an hour too?

for boneless breasts, my favourite thing to do with them is chicken parmagiana. i could eat it every week.

for the chicken parm, pound the breasts out a little, then dip in a beaten egg, let excess drip off and press well in seasoned breadcrumbs (breadcrumbs, dried oregano, dried parsley, dried basil, black pepper, finely grated parm) on both sides to coat.

quickly fry breaded breasts in grapeseed oil or light olive oil until breading turns golden brown. the chicken shouldn't be completely cooked through at this point.

in a 13x9 baking dish, pour a good layer of your favourite tomato sauce (we use prego brand traditional sauce a lot), then place the browned chicken breasts on top, overlapping the edges if necessary.

sprinkle chicken with a little more grated parm, then a healthy amount of shredded mozzarella and cover dish with foil.

bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the chicken finishes cooking through.

my mom likes to then put the dish uncovered under the broiler to get the cheese to brown and crisp on the edges a bit.

serve with pasta, crusty bread and butter.

a recent attempt of the aforementioned chicken parm, served with whole wheat linguini.

img0741ca.jpg

mmmm Pesto

Slather the chicken breasts with a generous amount of pesto. Top with some tomatoes (I like grape or cherry tomatoes cut in half, or Roma sliced on the thickish side) bake @ 350 for about 25 min or so, depending on how thick they are. Put a couple slices of thin slices of mozzarella cheese on top and return to the oven until it melts.

It's great served over simple pasta (olive oil, garlic & parmesan), buttered egg noodles, rice or whatever.

Make extra because it is fabulous as a sandwiches later too!

I usually butterfly them, roll up with cheddar, then wrap with bacon. Bake in oven at 350 till cheese melts and juice is clear. Squeeze a little lime juice over them and serve with rice.

For the tenderest, juiciest chicken I've ever had: Pound chicken breast to between 1/4 inch, set aside.
In a 10-inch skillet, melt 2 tbsp butter and sautee' 1 small onion (cut in half, then sliced thinly, so you almost have shreds of onion) and 1 clove garlic, minced, until soft. add 1/4c dry white wine (can be omitted) and enough chicken stock to bring contents to about 1/4 inch. Add 1-4 tbsp lemon juice (depending on your personal tastes) and enough sugar to balance the lemon without making it actually sweet-tasting. Start with a large pinch, stir it in, then add more if needed. If necessary, add a touch of extra salt. If you're using regular chicken stock, not low sodium, you may not need salt. Bring liquid to a very low simmer.
While liquid heats, dredge chicken in cornstarch, then egg, then more cornstarch. When liquid reaches low simmer, add chicken. cook until top edges turn white, adding more liquid (water or wine) if necessary. Turn chicken. I find it difficult to take a temperature when the chicken is this thin. If you do too, just check with a fork to see when it's opaque and white all the way through. This chicken cooks fairly quickly, so don't walk away. It's important to cook this over a fairly low heat once the chicken is added so the liquid never reaches a full boil.
Serve over pasta or rice with cooked broccoli or spinach (or your other favorite vegetable).

I also love pounding it thin, dredging it in seasoned, salted flour and pan-frying in a thin layer of oil, olive or veg, depending on seasonings. 2 of my favorite seasoning combinations are: Basil and oregano, cooked in olive oil with fresh sauteed garlic
Chile powder, onion powder, and a touch of cinnamon, cooked in veg oil

I also love chicken breast cut into 1/2x2 inch pieces, marinated in lime juice, salt, and cilantro, and sauteed. sautee corn (fresh cut from the cob is best in this) with lime and more cilantro. Serve in multi-grain tortillas (or white, if you must;)) with sour cream or plain yogurt and sharp white cheddar.

I'm a fan of chicken, if you couldn't tell. :)

• Cut into strips and stir-fry with teriyaki sauce, serve over a bed of rice
  • Broil with cheese on top and make into a sandwich with ripe tomato, red onion, crisp bacon, sliced avocado and ranch or honey mustard dressing
  • Cook and dice to make chicken salad
  • make chicken corn chowder
  • Chicken & rice casserole

I cook a lot of chicken breat and I have no idea what I can do to make it not so boring. I marinade it a lot of the times and just throw it in the oven! i am sure my boyfriend is getting sick of just regular chicken breast lol. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Need something new!
Thanks

I make what we call "mucky chicken" - it's really smothered chicken. I use breasts and thighs/legs, but you could use just breasts too.

Flour (add salt, pepper) the chicken and saute until lightly browned, place in baking dish. Thinly slice carrots, celery and onion, and saute in olive oil until limp, place veggies on top of chicken.
Pour 1-2 cups chicken broth over veggies and chicken - this will depend on how big your baking dish is and how many breasts you have.
Cover with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for apprx 1 hour or until the chicken is tender.

Thicken the gravy and serve with mashed potatos, or rice.

Hope you like it.

I make what we call "mucky chicken" - it's really smothered chicken. I use breasts and thighs/legs, but you could use just breasts too.

Flour (add salt, pepper) the chicken and saute until lightly browned, place in baking dish. Thinly slice carrots, celery and onion, and saute in olive oil until limp, place veggies on top of chicken.
Pour 1-2 cups chicken broth over veggies and chicken - this will depend on how big your baking dish is and how many breasts you have.
Cover with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for apprx 1 hour or until the chicken is tender.

Thicken the gravy and serve with mashed potatos, or rice.

Hope you like it.

I will be trying your "mucky" soon :)

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom