Cooking with Chilies and Peppers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have a non dried pepper and you really wanted to roast them first to get rid of the skin you can do that in your over or on your burner.

You can put them on a baking sheet and in a 450 degree oven for a like 3-4 minutes. put them in a plastic bag you can seal up. About 15 minutes later you can put the pepper under water to remove the skin and the seeds.

You can put the rosted peppers into spaghetti sauce.

You can use them with some soy sauce for a stir fry.

I'd recommend you look up some books/recipes by Rick Bayless - he's an awesome chef and cooking instructor who has made his life's work studying Mexican food. You won't get a better 'chile pepper' education anywhere!

This is one of our faves - ancho chiles are dried poblano chiles.

LIME CHICKEN W/ANCHO CHILI SAUCE

8 servings

½ cup lime juice
6T soy sauce
½ cup vegetable oil
2T sugar
2T fresh oregano
1T fresh rosemary
1T minced garlic
½ tsp. cayenne
1 ½ tsp. chili powder
8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
8 slices Monterey Jack

Combine lime juice, soy sauce, oil, sugar, oregano, rosemary, garlic, chili powder, cayenne in bowl and whisk to blend. Pour marinade over chicken, cover and refrigerate overnight. Grill chicken til cooked through; place 1 cheese slice on top; cover barbeque and cook til cheese melts. Serve w/sauce.

ANCHO CHILI SAUCE:

makes 1 ½ cups

3 dried ancho chilies
2T lime juice
½ cup mayonnaise
2T brown sugar
1T fresh oregano
1tsp. rosemary
½ tsp. cumin

Pour boiling water over chilies to cover; let stand til chilies are soft, about 30 minutes; drain and reserve ½ cup of liquid.

Puree chilies, 3T soaking liquid and lime juice in blender til smooth; transfer to bowl; whisk in mayo, brown sugar, oregano, rosemary and cumin. Season with salt/pepper.

Roasting won't do much for dried peppers, really.

Chipotles are dried smoked jalapenos. What other kinds of peppers do you have? That will make a difference in what to recommend.

jennyema said:
Roasting won't do much for dried peppers, really.

Chipotles are dried smoked jalapenos. What other kinds of peppers do you have? That will make a difference in what to recommend.

One of them is very fat roundish, and maybe 2 inches high, and pruny looking. very dark in color

the other kind are red in color, about half an inch thick, and 2-3 inches long, pretty thin

I mean can't i just mix these in a skillet with like barbecue sauce and honey or vinegar and spices and other veggies and make a sauce?

I don't have a blender or food processor ATM....

They didn't say on the package what they were? This could be a crucial piece of info you need, as dried hot peppers, just as fresh ones, come in all different heat strengths.

And to use a dried pepper, you really do need to rehydrate it, and traditionally these are used in a pureed form.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom