Cooking with kids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MJ

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
Do you have a favorite recipe that you would like to share?
I love to cook with my kids. My kids like this one.

Mini Octopus Macaroni & Cheese
4 OSCAR MAYER Wieners
1 pkg. (7-1/4 oz.) KRAFT Macaroni & Cheese Dinner

CUT wieners in half lengthwise with sharp knife, starting each cut about 1 inch from one of the ends of each wiener. Roll each wiener one-quarter turn and cut a second lengthwise slice in wiener, again starting about 1 inch from the uncut end. (This will form 4 "legs" of the "octopus.") Using a small knife or kitchen scissors, cut each leg lengthwise in half, about 1 inch from the uncut end, creating a total of 8 legs in each wiener. Poke 2 holes into the uncut portion of each wiener for the "eyes."
ADD wieners to pot of boiling water and cook as directed on package, watching each wiener turn into an octopus right before your eyes. Meanwhile, prepare Dinner as directed on package.
SPOON Dinner evenly into 4 small bowls; top each with an octopus.

octopus5xk.png

I have done of these with kids - I don't know if the kids or I had more fun!

Fruit Jellies
1 large box (8 servings) sugar-free Jello
OR
2 small boxes (4 servings) sugar-free Jello
2 envelopes, unsweetened Kool-Aid powder (to compliment flavors or Jello, can mix and match to suit your taste)
3 envelopes unflavored gelatin powder
1 c boiling hot water

1.Stir together all ingredients until dissolved. Pour mixture onto a flat plate or a flat jelly roll pan. Allow to set 20 minutes and then chill in the refrigerator until completely set, usually several hours.
2.Peel the gelatin disk from the plate or pan. Cut into desired shapes; squares, circles, long strips, etc. Jellies can be rolled in additional fine granulated sugar if desired.
**NOTE - gelatin can also be poured into candy molds to create more fanciful shapes.

Jello Popcorn
1 small box Jello (not sugar free)
1 c Sugar
1 c Corn syrup
Popped popcorn

1.On low heat, heat Jello sugar, and corn syrup until clear. When it is clear pour it over the popped corn.
2.Let kids shape it into balls or whatever shape they want. Enjoy!

Check this one out!

Hot Rod Dog

1 OSCAR MAYER Beef Frank
1 hot dog bun, split
1 OSCAR MAYER Little Wiener
1 Tbsp. CHEEZ WHIZ Cheese Dip
1 cherry tomato
9 small pretzel sticks
1/2 of a tomato slice
1 KRAFT Singles
2 tsp. ketchup
2 stuffed green olives
4 CLAUSSEN Kosher Dill Sandwich Slices
1 RITZ Cracker
2 green onion slices
1 pitted black olive slice

HEAT frank as directed on package or grill until heated through (160°F). Place frank in bun to form the lower part of the "driver's body." Place little wiener upright at one end of the frank to form the upper part of the driver's body, using CHEEZ WHIZ to secure pieces. Attach cherry tomato to top of the little wiener with pretzel stick to form the "driver's head."
PLACE tomato slice upright at one end of sandwich, in front of the driver, to resemble the windshield, attaching to frank with a dab of CHEEZ WHIZ. Place Singles over the frank, in front of the windshield, to form the "hood." Decorate with ketchup.
ADD green olives to front of hood for the "headlights," using 2 of the pretzel sticks, then attach pickle slices with 4 of the pretzel sticks to both sides of the bun for "wheels." Add the cracker for the "steering wheel."
ATTACH the white parts of the green onion to the driver's head with a dab of CHEEZ WHIZ to resemble the goggles. Attach ripe olive slice, cut in half, to driver's head, using dab of CHEEZ WHIZ, to form "smile." Cut remaining half of olive slice crosswise in half for the "eyebrows." Attach remaining 2 pretzel sticks to both sides of little weiner for the "arms."
hrd4rw.png
:LOL:

Mine always like to make a ham and cheese, place his clean little hand on top of the sandwich, make an impression, then cut it out in the shape of his hand....

...at halloween where his wrist was we would put ketchup there :shock:

Another 2 recipes we use to eat as kids

Our version of pigs in a blanket.

Roll up a hot dog in a pillsbury crescent roll with cheese and ketchup and bake.

My mom use to fry some bacon. Then lay out sandwich bread on a baking sheet. Lay a slice of cheese on top and then drizzle with ketchup. Place bacon on top and put under the broiler until cheese starts to melt.

kitchenelf said:
Mine always like to make a ham and cheese, place his clean little hand on top of the sandwich, make an impression, then cut it out in the shape of his hand....

...at halloween where his wrist was we would put ketchup there :shock:

i really hope they don't call your child lil' three fingers, elfie!!!!!!!!!!

She(9yo) is in charge of:

Rubbing the spices on the chicken.
Shelling the hard boiled eggs.
Making meatballs.
Dipping in egg and breading the chicken cutlets.
Making the meatballs.
Mixing the meatloaf together.
Decorating the serving platters for holidays.
Setting the table.
Drying the silverware from the dishwasher, except steak knives.

Kids love to make these. They can be creative with the filling and in cutting the 'donuts' into shapes.

Jelly Doughnuts
Bread slices, (white, honey, challah, etc)
Jam, any flavor
Cinnamon sugar
Batter
Oil for deep frying

1.Make jam sandwiches, using a good amount of jam between the slices of bread.
2.Cut crusts from bread, then cut the sandwiches into squares, or use a cookie cutter to cut sandwiches into creative shapes (kids love this part).
3.Dip sandwiches in batter. Deep fry in hot oil until golden. Roll in cinnamon sugar.

Batter:
2 c AP flour
1 ts salt
1 tb baking powder
1 tb sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 c milk

1.Mix dry ingredients together, beat eggs with milk.
2.Add wet mixture to dry mixture and mix well. Dip sandwiches in batter - do not allow to soak, and then deep fry.

I made these up when my son was about 2 yrs. old. I didn't have any money & it was 3 days till pay day & he was crying for candy. About all I had in the house to make anything close to candy was peanut butter, powdered sugar, honey, & unsweetened cocoa powder. So, this is what I came up with.

Peanut Butter Yummies

peanut butter(crunchy or creamy)
honey
powdered sugar
unsweetened cocoa powder

Mix peanut butter & enough honey to make it real creamy. Add enough powdered sugar to make a thick dough that will hold together when rolled into balls. Sift equal amounts of unswetened cocoa powder & powdered sugar together in a flat bottomed dish. Roll peanut butter mixture into balls 1/2Tbs. at a time & roll in cocoa mixture, shake off excess & roll again. Place balls in a wax paper lined container & refigerate for 30 minutes.

Or, as we did that day, eat them as soon as they are made!

Some other ideas for these:
add Rice Krispies, mini simi-sweet chocolate chips, or both to the peanut butter mixture before adding the powdered sugar or instead of coating them with the cocoa powder mixture dip them in melted semi-sweet chocolate & roll them in candy sprinkles or crushed peanuts while still wet.

My son & I had a great time making these that day & we were both covered in cocoa powder by the time we finished!

And it's a quick one too! You don't even have to roll them into balls. I just sat down with a bowl of the peanut butter mix & a spoon one night & ate to my hearts(& stomachs) content

RICE KRISPIES TREATS

1/4 c. butter
1 pkg. (10 oz., about 40) reg. marshmallows or 4 c. miniature marshmallows
6 c. Rice Krispies cereal
Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.

Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.

Using buttered spatula or waxed paper, press mixture evenly into buttered 13x9x2 inch pan. Cut into squares when cool.

Yields 24 treats, 2x2 inches. Use fresh marshmallows for best results.

Here are some things that both of my kids enjoy making. My 4 yr. old does most of the mixing while my 8 yr. old does the measuring & stuff. About all I do is stand back & give help when they need it & put stuff in the oven & take it out.

Peanut Butter Cookies

1 1/4C. flour
1/4teaspoon salt
1/4teaspoon baking soda
1/2C. butter or margarine, softened
1/2C. peanut butter
1/2C. granulated sugar
1/2C. brown sugar
1 egg

Combine flour, salt, & baking soda, & set aside. In large mixing bowl, mix butter & peanut butter until well blended ; add granulated & brown sugar, mixing well, & beat in egg. Stir flour mixture into peanut butter mixture until well blended. Drop by spoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheet; flatten with a fork, & sprinkle with sugar if desired. Bake at 375 deg. for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.

Chocolate Chippies

1 pkg. chocolate cake mix
1/4C. butter or margarine, softened
1/3C. milk
1 egg
1 - 6ounce pkg. chocolate chips
1C. chopped nuts

Beat together cake mix, butter, milk, & egg until well blended ; stir in chocolate chips & nuts. Drop by spoonfuls on a greased cookie sheet ; bake at 375 deg. for 12 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

3 Minute Cobbler- It only takes 3 minutes to mix up!

1/2C. butter or margarine
1C. flour
1C. granulated sugar
2teaspoons baking powder
3/4C. milk
1/4teaspoon salt
1 - 16 ounce can fruit pie filling or fruit

Melt butter in a casserole dish. Stir in flour, sugar, baking powder, milk, & salt until all lumps are gone.(A wire whisk is best for this.) Dump the fruit on top, but don't stir it in. Bake for 1 hour at 350 deg.
this is great served warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!

Thanks Crewsk!
I get alot of my recipes from Kraft.com. Like this one.

Shipwreck Dinner

1 lb. extra lean ground beef
1 pkg. (7-1/4 oz.) KRAFT Macaroni & Cheese Dinner
1 can (16 oz.) stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 cup frozen green peas
1 cup milk
1 cup KRAFT Shredded Low-Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese

BROWN meat in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Drain fat, if necessary.
STIR in Macaroni, Cheese Sauce Mix, tomatoes, peas and milk. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover. Simmer 12 min. or until macaroni is tender.
SPRINKLE with cheese. Let stand 5 min. or until cheese is melted.
sr.png

Just a few more! All of them are from www.kraftfoods.com

OREO® Fluff
Prep Time: 5 min
Total Time: 2 hr 5 min
Makes: 6 servings, 1/2 cup each

16 OREO Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
2 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping

ADD chopped cookies to whipped topping in medium bowl; stir gently until well blended. Cover.
REFRIGERATE at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
SPOON into 6 individual dessert dishes to serve.

Cocoa Nut Mix

Toss 1 cup PLANTERS COCKTAIL Peanuts with 2 tsp. hot cocoa mix and 1/2 cup JET-PUFFED Miniature Marshmallows.
Store in airtight container.

Chocolate Raspberry Bites

Top RITZ Crackers with prepared JELL-O Chocolate Flavor Pudding and fresh raspberries.

Peanut Chocolate Chip Croissants

Unroll refrigerated crescent roll dough into triangles. Lightly brush dough with melted butter or margarine; sprinkle with triangle with 1/4 cup each chopped PLANTERS Honey Roasted Peanuts and mini semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Roll up, starting at short end; place on cookie sheet. Bake as directed.
Serve warm.

Parmesan Pepper Nuts

Mix 1 cup PLANTERS Mixed Nuts, COCKTAIL Peanuts or Cashews with 1 Tbsp. KRAFT 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese in microwavable bowl. Season with garlic powder and ground black pepper to taste.
Microwave on HIGH 10 to 15 seconds or until slightly warmed.
Serve warm or cooled.

Bacon Wrapped Corn Dogs

1 can (11-1/2 oz.) refrigerated cornbread twists
8 wooden pop sticks
1 pkg. (16 oz.) OSCAR MAYER Bun-Length Wieners
1 pkg. (2.1 oz.) OSCAR MAYER Ready to Serve Bacon

SEPARATE cornbread dough into 8 sticks, pinching short ends together to seal. Roll or press each piece into 14-inch rope.
INSERT wooden sticks lengthwise into wieners, leaving 1 inch of each stick exposed. Wrap each cornbread rope in spiral fashion around each wiener, pressing ends of dough to seal. Wrap 1 or 2 bacon slices in spiral fashion around each cornbread-covered wiener; press bacon into cornbread. Place on cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
BAKE at 350°F for 20 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown. Serve with catsup, KRAFT Pure Prepared Mustard or honey.
cd.png

Back
Top Bottom