Cooking without a fridge or freezer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great pics!

Does it have a working propane fridge and stove?

Fix the roof but go slow on the tear out until the person that is doing the rebuild has a chance to look at what needs to be done. The bones of a trailer are different than the bones of a house and you could cause yourself extra expense and work.

Good luck, things seem to be looking up!!!

It definitely has potential. I love to check out "before and after" pics of small living quarters. Not sure why. I think it has something to do with my obsession of all things miniature.

This is so cool. Thanks for the pics and the descriptions. I love this kind of thing. A friend of mine bought a small mobile home that was in a shambles and she fixed it up and is now living in it.

I'll check ebay for dollhouses.

Thanks for the pics, RR! I have very fond memories of camping years ago in a very similar trailer.

You're welcome!

Great pics!

Does it have a working propane fridge and stove?

Fix the roof but go slow on the tear out until the person that is doing the rebuild has a chance to look at what needs to be done. The bones of a trailer are different than the bones of a house and you could cause yourself extra expense and work.

Good luck, things seem to be looking up!!!

Yes, the stove and fridge can work on either propane or electricity.

Um, that tear out...

It definitely has potential. I love to check out "before and after" pics of small living quarters. Not sure why. I think it has something to do with my obsession of all things miniature.

Well, not sure about the potential right now.

So my friend Lisa and her son followed me up to see the trailer today. Now it was brought up to my lot on Tuesday. Friday it was snowing here in downtown and it snowed for hours. It was supposed to stop mid morning, but went until the early afternoon. It was just starting to stick when it stopped. And it never crossed my mind...

So we hit the road on the hill this morning and I'm thinking, "Hmm, this looks like way more ice than I remember. I thought this road was totally clear when I was up here on Tuesday."

Well, it was. Apparently the plow had had to come through again. All the tracks from where the truck had backed my trailer in were completely filled up with new snow. Now I have 4 to 5 inches of snow on my lot. Joy. :wacko:

Lisa was not happy with me because A) her SUV was sliding on the road and she's sort of a nervous driver and B) I neglected to tell her she would have to hike through snow to see the trailer. I forgot that little detail. I was told I was this close [ ] to being on her **** list. But we were laughing about it.

Anyway, Lisa's son helped (OK, he did most of the work) take out the sofa and the mattress and he also got the entire dinette set out. Next I want the toilet and the kitchen sink and cabinet out as well. Maybe the top cabinets, too. But the vinyl flooring has to come up and I have a sneaking suspicion the whole floor will need to be replaced.

I found out the cover to the vent over the bathtub isn't there (at least it's over the bathtub) and we couldn't get into the locked cabinets to look for a crank to lower the front. The trailer is already sinking into the ground and the cement block under one brace has already broken.

On the bright side, I had to stop and buy a measuring tape because I couldn't find mine and only later found out I had my T-shirt on backwards. I will probably be in that hardware store often and all I can hope for is that those people don't remember me. :glare:

Here's a pic of the inside now that the dinette set is out.

Attachments

• trailer.JPG
    trailer.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
rr - Aunt Bea had the right of it. As hard as it must seem to be - until you've found the leaks and repaired them - it might be wiser to stop ripping things out and doing your renovations. It would be horrid if your work was all ruined in the Spring rains to come.

Plus the walls inside, although not integral, could possibly help support exterior walls from twisting should the trailer settle (sink) and move in a lopsided way before being placed on permanent supports.

What a goal you've got and (as I'm sure many of us here think) I have no doubt you are up to the task! LOL - any one who has the talent, patience and guts to do those miniatures (I've seen some of your pics) is well up to this challenge.

Think of it as a rather large fully equipped and working doll house - for a special doll - YOU!

The fifth wheel seems like a much better solution than living in your car, as you had talked about last year. I agree with Aunt Bea and dragnlaw, though - I'd fix the roof and flooring first, so it's weather-proof and has a solid foundation. Floors need to be done before new cabinetry and appliances go in. Good luck.

Last edited:
rr - Aunt Bea had the right of it. As hard as it must seem to be - until you've found the leaks and repaired them - it might be wiser to stop ripping things out and doing your renovations. It would be horrid if your work was all ruined in the Spring rains to come.

Plus the walls inside, although not integral, could possibly help support exterior walls from twisting should the trailer settle (sink) and move in a lopsided way before being placed on permanent supports.

What a goal you've got and (as I'm sure many of us here think) I have no doubt you are up to the task! LOL - any one who has the talent, patience and guts to do those miniatures (I've seen some of your pics) is well up to this challenge.

Think of it as a rather large fully equipped and working doll house - for a special doll - YOU!

Well, nothing else is going to be touched until I get the leaks fixed. For now, though, I think all I can do is throw a tarp over the thing. I found out today that I probably need another sensor replaced in my car and that has to come out of the trailer/water budget. Where is that smilie that's hitting his head against the wall?

Very cool.

You said you'll have electricity and running water, correct?

I'm supposed to be saving up to have water put in the lot. That was supposed to be done in March, but because of the snow, it probably won't be done now until the end of April or even until May.

All that will be done is a (tall, maybe 3 ft) outside faucet being brought up close to where I want my garden. I won't be having any water brought into the trailer. If I want water, I'll have to go out and get it. It's not ideal, but it's not something that will bother me that much. It won't be the first time I've had to do that.

The guy doing the work quoted me $800 to do the faucet and it's an $800 hookup fee. The way things are going, I may not have that money now till June. Taxes are due next month.

I need to put a transformer on the lot for electricity and that will cost $5000 and I have no idea what it will cost to put a meter in. So that's on the schedule for next year, hopefully in fall of 2020.

The fifth wheel seems like a much better solution than living in your car, as you had talked about last year. I agree with Aunt Bea and dragnlaw, though - I'd fix the roof and flooring first, so it's weather-proof and has a solid foundation. Floors need to be done before new cabinetry and appliances go in. Good luck.

Agreed 100%. Yesterday I drove out to the lot to meet with a contractor to see about leveling a site and putting down a gravel base for the trailer. But fixing the leaks comes first, then the walls, then the floors, then having a base done for it.

I don't think you'll like this part, though. I had planned to move out in June, but I doubt the trailer will be fit to live in by that time. So I may end up living in my car through the summer. I could stay here, but that's just delaying the inevitable. And I hate it here. There's other reasons to move out as soon as possible, both health related.

One of them is I crack my window at night even in winter because the heat is always on and it's hot here, and in summer my window is open 24/7. I have a constant layer of dust over everything. In winter it's from the vent which is right over my bed and in summer it's from the cars going by on the street below (my room faces the main drag).

After a couple of days, the dust starts looking like very fine sand and that's what I'm breathing in morning, noon, and night. I've noticed how out of breath I've gotten in the years since I've lived here and I'm getting concerned about it. On top of that, everyone and their brother smokes here and you can't leave the building without walking into a wall of smoke.

People walking across the street will smoke and sometimes that drifts into my window as well. And you can always tell when someone on the street is smoking pot. Sometimes the residents here will sit by their windows and smoke pot and cigarettes after the manager has gone home for the day, even though they're not supposed to. And that drifts into the windows in the summer, too.

I feel I need to really get away from that and I can't help thinking that even if I have to live in my car, it will be better for me than being here. So I'm still set to move out in June and I'm hoping I can move into the trailer by September or October.

rr: "All that will be done is a (tall, maybe 3 ft) outside faucet being brought up close to where I want my garden. I won't be having any water brought into the trailer. If I want water, I'll have to go out and get it. It's not ideal, but it's not something that will bother me that much. It won't be the first time I've had to do that."

In the begnning I didn't mind carting water but that got old real quick. So in
summer for my chicken coop, I run a garden hose from an outside faucet, thru a hole in a screen, resting the nozzle in the sink. I have a double opening on the faucet so I don't have to keep changing and attaching different hoses. There are ones available that shut off individually. I also used to have one that had 4 outlets should you need to go in more than one direction.

I leave it on during the day unless I'm going to be away for the whole day. Suggest you to do the same. You would not need to come home to a leak and burnt pump.

I'm supposed to be saving up to have water put in the lot. That was supposed to be done in March, but because of the snow, it probably won't be done now until the end of April or even until May.

All that will be done is a (tall, maybe 3 ft) outside faucet being brought up close to where I want my garden. I won't be having any water brought into the trailer. If I want water, I'll have to go out and get it. It's not ideal, but it's not something that will bother me that much. It won't be the first time I've had to do that.

The guy doing the work quoted me $800 to do the faucet and it's an $800 hookup fee. The way things are going, I may not have that money now till June. Taxes are due next month.

I need to put a transformer on the lot for electricity and that will cost $5000 and I have no idea what it will cost to put a meter in. So that's on the schedule for next year, hopefully in fall of 2020.

Sounds like an expensive project, but hopefully it all works out. I like dragnlaw's garden hose suggestion.

rr: "All that will be done is a (tall, maybe 3 ft) outside faucet being brought up close to where I want my garden. I won't be having any water brought into the trailer. If I want water, I'll have to go out and get it. It's not ideal, but it's not something that will bother me that much. It won't be the first time I've had to do that."

In the begnning I didn't mind carting water but that got old real quick. So in
summer for my chicken coop, I run a garden hose from an outside faucet, thru a hole in a screen, resting the nozzle in the sink. I have a double opening on the faucet so I don't have to keep changing and attaching different hoses. There are ones available that shut off individually. I also used to have one that had 4 outlets should you need to go in more than one direction.

I leave it on during the day unless I'm going to be away for the whole day. Suggest you to do the same. You would not need to come home to a leak and burnt pump.

Er, I'm not going to have electricity at first, so I won't have a pump. I'm sure I'll have hose on the faucet but I doubt I'll need a split nozzle. All I'll be doing is filling one or two gallons of water a day and that's pretty much what I do now when I put ice water in the fridge.

Sounds like an expensive project, but hopefully it all works out. I like dragnlaw's garden hose suggestion.

Well, now that I think about it, a split nozzle with a 30ft garden hose on one nozzle and a 10ft hose on the other will be useful. A short hose for washing my hair is way easier than fighting with a long hose for that.

I hope it works out the way you want. You have a lot of challenges ahead.

Story of my life. I'm one of those hard luck people you read about. I can't remember when I haven't had challenges and usually more than one at a time. :LOL:

rr, the hoses I only meant for in the future. I understand your electricity is not in yet and it may be a while.

I'm not understanding where your water will be coming from. Will you have a well? A pump can be gas/propane driven.

Back
Top Bottom