Cooking Yukon Gold Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy and GG, I really should never, then, tell you about my theory that yeast are actually tiny little men, that I have to keep happy, otherwise my bread fails.

;)

T

I kind of think I was doing the yeast's job after making my goat curry. It came out well, but I underestimated the effect of good fresh curry leaves on my anatomy!

Of course the yeast fairies are both male and female. They put their wand on the starch molecules, because, science, and turn the carbon dioxide into a quark, Then bread happens.

If there were no female yeast fairies my sourdough starter would die out rather quick.

T

I kind of think I was doing the yeast's job after making my goat curry. It came out well, but I underestimated the effect of good fresh curry leaves on my anatomy!

Of course the yeast fairies are both male and female. They put their wand on the starch molecules, because, science, and turn the carbon dioxide into a quark, Then bread happens.

If there were no female yeast fairies my sourdough starter would die out rather quick.

T

;) So when do you go back for your next session on the couch? ;)

GG, because it is convenient to think of it that way? Do you review particle physics every time you use a microwave?

Not like I am intentionally misleading people here.

I don't think about any kind of physics when I use the microwave, or any other cooking method. I think about what I need to do to achieve the end result I want.

I don't know what your motivations or intentions are. When you're explaining something to someone, though, it's not helpful to tell them something you know is wrong just because it's how you want to think about it.

Last edited:
Some weeks ago I did a slow Cooker recipe that called for Gold potatoes. The recipe called for 8 hours on slow.

I'd quartered the potatoes as called for. At the end of the cooking time some of them were still hard and crunchy.

Recently I decided to finish what was left of the potatoes. I microwaved them two or three times but they still had crunchiness just under the skins.

What went wrong? How does one cook them so they come out soft?:huh:

Robert

Hi Robert,
I use gold potatoes for just about every dish that requires potatoes simply because they never fail me be it roasting, sauteing, boiling... etc. Last week i did a beef stew by Cooks Illustrated in my slow cooker that turned out great. I cooked high for about 1 hour and then on low for about 7 hours. The recipe specified for the potatoes to be cut into 1" pieces.
Could it be that your potato pieces were much bigger than that? Also, the liquid i added, broth and wine, was heated prior to pouring it into the slow cooker.
Hope this might be of some help.

I don't know what your motivations or intentions are. When you're explaining something to someone, though, it's not helpful to tell them something you know is wrong just because it's how you want to think about it.

I can tell you simple, GG that anything I discuss, cooking wise, does not come from either an ill intent, or a perfidious motivation. I hope that reassures you.

TBS (E-F)

Back
Top Bottom