Cooking Yukon Gold Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ro3bert

Assistant Cook
Some weeks ago I did a slow Cooker recipe that called for Gold potatoes. The recipe called for 8 hours on slow.

I'd quartered the potatoes as called for. At the end of the cooking time some of them were still hard and crunchy.

Recently I decided to finish what was left of the potatoes. I microwaved them two or three times but they still had crunchiness just under the skins.

What went wrong? How does one cook them so they come out soft?:huh:

Robert

I've never had a problem with them, so i can't really help. I've roasted them, boiled them, simmered them in a stew, never had any issues.

You might need to check the temperature of the slow cooker, on low, to see the temperature the potatoes were cooked at. (ending a sentence with a preposition!!) I have heard that potatoes must reach 180 degrees F and another source said they must reach boiling. The low temperature in an older slow cooker might be too low, even for safety. It's probably best to check the temperature. Just put in a couple cups of water, turn it on low, and after an hour, put the thermometer in it.

How long did you microwave them? I do this regularly and it takes 10-15 minutes on high power to cook them completely.

Baked potatoes must reach 210 degrees to be fully cooked. I imagine it's the same for potatoes cooked in other ways.

blissful

I'll have to do that. Hadn't thought of doing that.

GotGarlic

Seems to me I'd read potato cooking in a microwave should only take about 4 min. These were microwaved for tree minutes so maybe that was the problem. I didn't think so as the centers were all soft as I'd expected.

I really like Golden Yukon potatoes so was very disappointed. Next time I'll cook them for your suggested time(s). I'll also cook them ahead for whatever recipe calls for them.

Robert

One medium potato might cook in 4 minutes, but the more potatoes, the more time the microwave needs to work. I'm not sure what it means to microwave them two or three times. I would toss in two medium to large potatoes and push in 9 minutes in my microwave.

Microwave cooks from the inside out, which is helpful for something like our friend the potato. I am not usually a fan of microwave cookery, but it seems designed for potatoes, a solid piece of starch, get those molecules a-vibrating.

I with Yukon gold's slice them quite thin and sautee them in butter with some chives.

TBS (E-F)

Microwaves are a tricky thing. They create heat by agitation water molecules, so it depends on where the most moisture is. But microwave ovens also only have so much power, so the agitation is limited in a more dense thing being heated. So it's not just inside out, or outside in. But once the energy is created, it transfers to areas of lesser heat.
Does that make any sense?

Btw, imo, Yukon Gold spuds aren't really the best for nuking. They're more waxy than russet/baking type. They're called all purpose potatoes, but I think they lean waxy.

Skin, boil, then squeeze 'em through a ricer. Or cube and boil, and and make a salad.

Last edited:
Btw, imo, Yukon Gold spuds aren't really the best for nuking. They're more waxy than russet/baking type. They're called all purpose potatoes, but I think they lean waxy.

I agree with this up there.

And, totally knew as soon as I hit post, someone would say something like, 'microwave ovens don't really cook from the inside out', Let my comment stand not as a description of the physics of it, but a convenient mental cheat I use to conceptualize the difference between microwave cookery and methods that use a radiant heat source.

TBS (E-F)

Not so.

Cooking in a microwave is like cooking in an oven. The microwaves heat the outer layer and then the heat transfers inward.

+1 That’s why it is recommended to stir food half way through. To pull the outer heated food to the center and mix with inner under heated food for more even cooking.

I agree with this up there.

And, totally knew as soon as I hit post, someone would say something like, 'microwave ovens don't really cook from the inside out', Let my comment stand not as a description of the physics of it, but a convenient mental cheat I use to conceptualize the difference between microwave cookery and methods that use a radiant heat source.

Why would you tell someone something you know to be untrue? Your "convenient mental cheat" isn't helpful for people who are trying to understand what's going on.

GG, because it is convenient to think of it that way? Do you review particle physics every time you use a microwave?

Not like I am intentionally misleading people here.

TBS (E-F)

GG, because it is convenient to think of it that way? Do you review particle physics every time you use a microwave?

Not like I am intentionally misleading people here.

TBS (E-F)

I’m sorry but I don’t understand the logic of intentionally looking at a process incorrectly. What’s the benefit? Once you know it’s wrong, there is no benefit to not changing.

Well, it does heat from the inside out as opposed to the outside in, in a way of looking at it. Depends on where the water molecules are.

It's about the transfer of specific types of energy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom