Corn Meal Uses - suggestions please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GetMeTheBigKnife

Senior Cook
I bought a bag of Instant Corn Masa Mix and made the creamiest polenta I ever had. Since I bought this product for the polenta only, I am curious what others use corn meal for. This product is a fine mix like flour, unlike other corn meal products I have purchased.

When Paul makes pizza dough we sometimes

dust the cookie sheets with corn meal before laying the dough on them but, other than that we don't use it.

Yes, I do that too with the Quaker Oats coarse kind. This stuff is fine like flour. This is used for making tortillas...etc, but I am not interested in cooking Mexican, neccessarialy

I thought of the usual topical uses such as for fish and other meats. What I really wanted was to "make" something like a bread. I have been searching the web and so far I have some lawn fertilizer and a couple facial mixtures - LOL@me

I want to second using it for pizza dough, it's a very ritch and protein filled flour so it gives great results.

Have you ever made cornbread? Try it with a little more butter than usual, some diced peppers and cheese, it's such good stuff.

Lugaru said:
I want to second using it for pizza dough, it's a very ritch and protein filled flour so it gives great results.

Have you ever made cornbread? Try it with a little more butter than usual, some diced peppers and cheese, it's such good stuff.

Don't forget the bacon. :LOL:

My mother would make it and mix with pork sausage, and put it into a loaf pan ty set. When done, she would slice 2/3 inch thick or so, lightly flour and fry in a skilled until brown and crunchy on the outside, serve with real maple syrup, mmmmm. It was called scrapple adn I believe it is a southern dish, not certain, but really good.

GetMeTheBigKnife said:
I bought a bag of Instant Corn Masa Mix and made the creamiest polenta I ever had.

BigKnife, I'm perusing a cookbook I bought recently, Glorious Italian Cooking by Nick Stellino. In his recipe for basic polenta, he instructs to stir the mixture constantly for 30-40 minutes. Did you do that? The one time I made polenta, years ago, I let the stuff burble along mostly on its own, and only stirred nonstop as it was reaching the end, and it seemed to turn out all right, although I had no basis for comparison. Stirring it for 30 minutes nonstop seems awfully tedious. Do you find it necessary?

Cats

Yes, stirring was necessary. To date I have been adding stuff to the mix before I pour it into a loaf pan. Sausage, bacon, sun dried tomatoes have worked nicely. I have fried the slices and baked them as well.

Its been a nice change from the ususal starch sources.

I was hoping to mix things up a bit at the dinner table and I have been pleased.

I know you said you weren't interested in cooking Mexican, but I use tortillas for everything under the sun. I would make a big batch of tortillas with it and freeze a bunch. Then you have the makings for tortilla pizza, pinwheels for when you have company, chicken caesar rollups any number of tasty little treats.

On Barefoot Contessa today she prepared rosemary/garlic/parmasean polenta. I went to FTV and printed it. I will try to return with URL for it.

EDIT: I will post it on recipe page so :mrgreen: will not have to move it.

EDIT #2: Changed my mind, sorry :mrgreen: I cannot figure out where to put it, does not fit under bread or misc. So here it is:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_29669,00.html

I saw that show, it was a repeat. LOL I made it last week. It was very rich. Michael Chiarello (sp?) also made polenta, I made his too. Emeril made polenta too...and guess what?! I made it. I have been making polenta for a week and a half so far. I think I am done now

Oh, dear, no Mexican? Well, hubby buys it to make polenta, but even more so he loves me to make tamale pie.

Back
Top Bottom