Corned beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never use the package liquid. I rinse my corned beef well. I mix up my own Corning/Picking spices. After rinsing I place meat in pot. I never put spices loose in the pot. I place about 1 tsp. of my spices into a large teaball along with the package of spices that came with meat. Place teaball in pot with meat. Cover with water and simmer. I never removed foam either. Since I started rinsing the meat before cooking not much foam appears. I now use a pressure cooker and add tea ball and only use 1 pint water (no matter the size of the meat) and only cook 90 minutes.

Thanks msmofet. The only reason I added the liquid was the package instructions said to include all the package juices.
Most here know most everything I cook seems to never be the same.
There was a time when I too rinsed the meat.
There was a time when I did not use the package of spices.
This time I just did what the package said to do.
I am certain you are correct and it makes perfect sense that the package juice may have indeed caused the unusual amount of gross gray foam.

I am not positive but I think the foam is coagulated blood. That’s why I rinse my beef before cooking. I think the flavor comes from the spices and the red color of that liquid creeps me out for some reason.

I have also rinsed the meat, added it to the pan and brought to a boil. Once the foam was done I drained it, rinsed the meat again and returned it to pot with fresh water.
I am not sure why so many leave the spice pack out?
Seems like what most would use anyway and its ready to dump in.

I am not positive but I think the foam is coagulated blood. That’s why I rinse my beef before cooking. I think the flavor comes from the spices and the red color of that liquid creeps me out for some reason.

Haa, that red thick liquid creeps me out too.:huh: I always rinse mine well, add the spices and have never had any foam.

I buy Moseys corned beef. I like the flavor of this brand best. The package instructions specifically call for adding all the creepy red liquid to the pot along with the spice packet. Rinsing is not mentioned. My corned beef is very tasty.

The foam is from dissolved proteins in the liquid that solidify and collect on the surface. Ugly but harmless.

I had just finished fermenting some homemade sauerkraut and I put the leftover 3 quarts of it, in the fridge for eating raw/fresh. So we are on a corned beef binge to make reuben or reuben-like dishes with our homemade swiss cheeses. I'm dreaming of a sauerkraut/swiss/corned beef/thousand island casserole baked up in the oven for dinner tonight.

Like this:
m73sDRXy4MLaki-mGX2ETLo4fHK9y01xzdWS5g9j5vKB0x2WrqLDQggJxr_DNxPt0uJy4X16FBvsHqVynIDizLmk9Q=s535-c

From: https://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/6722150/reuben-spread/

I cooked our corned beef Sous vide.

I dried it off with paper towels, sprinkled
spice pack on .I let cook it for 40 hours
at 150 Sous Vide.
It was divine and tender and I didn't have
baby sit it. I have used this method for two
years.

Josie

at 150 Sous Vide.
years.

Josie

Josie, I was wondering if anyone used the Sous Vide on one. Thanks for the report as I might try it next time. :chef:

I haven’t jumped on the SV wagon yet. There is a SV attachment for the Instant Pot.

We did an Aldi run today (well, Tuesday) and found very nice corned beef flats for $1.99 a pound. I bought a couple corned beef from Aldi last year that we really enjoyed. :yum: I hope these are just as good.

at 150 Sous Vide.
years.

Josie

I cooked mine in a cast iron dutch oven for 2½ hours. It was divine, tender and delicious, and I didn't baby sit it either. I also didn't have to start cooking 2 days ahead. If that had been necessary, I wouldn't have bothered.

I'm more of a do it now kind of guy. If I have to do more than just start the night before (and even that is a rare exception), it's usually too much planning ahead for me.

Hi Rick
I am glad your method works for you.
I love to use my Sous Vide on lots of things.
It is wonderful for chicken breast I only cook them
for three hours. I have plenty of patience.

Josie :)

Back
Top Bottom