Cornmeal Batter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tacticaltal

Assistant Cook
Hi all,

I made some cornbread last night, and have quite a bit of batter leftover, which I stored in the refrigerator in a bowl with a lid on it. I'm thinking it should still be good, but wanted to ask for advice. I'm not too experienced with cornmeal. I did add eggs to the mix.

If the recipe called for double-acting baking powder it should be ok if it contains baking soda then it will be too pooped to pop.

Bake it off and see what happens you don't have much to lose.

If the recipe called for double-acting baking powder it should be ok if it contains baking soda then it will be too pooped to pop.

Bake it off and see what happens you don't have much to lose.

I was going to mention double acting baking powder. It will lose some of its oomph. The double part is that some of it works when it gets wet and some of it works when it gets heated.

Just a shot in the dark idea here.

If you have some hot dogs and wooden skewers, you could put the
dog on the stick (from end to end) Roll the dog in some all purpose flour and then dip it in the batter.

You'll need to have a deep fryer going with hot oil at 350 F or so to place the dog into.

You may get some decent corn dogs from this.

As long as you don't over bake it, cornmeal takes well to freezing or even refrigerating, so just use it all up. You can also cook it like pancakes and slather it with butter.

I too like the idea of corn dogs, or with kielbasa, or even chunks of ring bologna. If you don't have a deep fryer, a chicken frying pan, or duth oven, or even a large wok will hold enough oil to fry the corn dogs. You can wrap the sausage in a chrese slice, secured with a toothpick, then coat with batter and immerse in the hot oil.

Another option is to add some cornstarch, and a little more baking powder and use the batter to make onion rings.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the znorth

Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom