Costco Products You Enjoy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I miss Costco. We switched to going to BJs for convenience (it was much closer and has smaller items), but I want to go back to Costco when the BJs membership is up.

I loved their evoo, and goat cheese logs, and lamb shanks.

...I usually buy the block and grate my own. Any reason other than convenience you buy pre-grated cheese?
The blocks are sitting right there. Just curious Andy.

RB, I buy both. I have a chunk of Parm Reg in the fridge as well as the pre-shredded.

Does Costco offer a one day trial? Is hate to get a membership then don't like it. I have sams club but its way closer than Costco.

Does Costco offer a one day trial? Is hate to get a membership then don't like it. I have sams club but its way closer than Costco.

Yes, you can purchase a one day pass.

Our Costco allows anyone to enter the store to browse, but they cannot buy until they join.
I think that policy is just fine. Go and see what they have and if you like what you see, get a membership.
We are executive members and its $100 a year. Its tied to our Citi Visa card. The basic one used to be $50. Not sure if that's still the case?
The rewards are pretty nice and we get two checks a year that far exceeded $100. We might get three checks, not sure. We go approximately 3-4 times a year.
I do try to get my gas there all the time. 3% cash back on all gas no matter where you buy it.
Funny they allow anyone (no membership) to use the pharmacy. :rolleyes:

Farmer John. We used to have Sam's Club. But we found Costco to be a nicer, cleaner and the products are all very good. The staff is much more customer oriented as well. The store brand is Kirkland and is as good or better than national name brands.

A good example is spices. Sam's sells 'Tones'. Costco sells McCormick at roughly the same savings.

Last edited:
I just stumbled on this thread and don't have the attention span to read all 65 responses so please forgive me if I double up.

First of all, I agree with Andy's opening post - Costco DOES indeed have the best rotisserie chicken... however, we can't get them anymore because (here at least) they have changed up the seasoning and TB has reacted to it more than once.

Their Italian sausage is by far the best I have ever found. We usually get the mild though the hot is good as well - and they don't have breadcrumbs!

The bakery is basically off limits for us but I have bought their tuxedo cake for guests and snuck a bite or too - YUM!

I also find their salmon to be far superior to anywhere else.

My neighbor from our old house is a butcher at a local Costco, and his wife is a baker there.

I remember him telling me that the reason Costco meats are so good is the turnover. He often bragged about how many hundreds of pounds or cases of meats that he butchered and packaged on any given day, day after day. During the days leading up to holidays, he would come home in the early afternoon and pass out from exhaustion, then he said he even dreamed of cutting more meat.

My neighbor from our old house is a butcher at a local Costco, and his wife is a baker there.

I remember him telling me that the reason Costco meats are so good is the turnover. He often bragged about how many hundreds of pounds or cases of meats that he butchered and packaged on any given day, day after day. During the days leading up to holidays, he would come home in the early afternoon and pass out from exhaustion, then he said he even dreamed of cutting more meat.

I don't think turnover has anything to with the quality of the meat.
Good meat is good meat no matter how much a store can sell.
Costco puts a lot of emphasis on procuring the best possible products.
I get the Costco Connection magazine each month and there are many examples of why they have superior products. The buyers for Costco are on a mission to get the best products at the very best price.
They even work with the vendor to assist in quality and other aspects of their relationship. They travel the world looking for better products at better prices.
This is one reason they have a return policy that no one can compare to. Its a no questions asked policy on perishable food returns.
Electronics and hardware do have differing warranty processes. But if 30 days has not been exceeded, you get your money back no matter the product. That includes electronics and hardware. Cookware too.
Costco is very particular and it shows. That is why Sam's will never be anything more than a Walmart warehouse.

I have found Costco meats to beat all grocery stores in our area.

In closing. I do have one serious complaint with Costco. It is the high possibility that a product you love will become unavailable.
There are several items we loved but Costco quit stocking them.
A good example is the bi-fold wax paper sheets. 700 count I think. 2 pack.
They still sell the foil sheets, but no more deli sheets as they are called.
Sam's has them and I get my friend to buy them for me.
They are great and cut down on paper plate and dishware use.
I use several a day.

On a slightly different note, Costco now has a printer ink cartridge refilling service. I have a Brother printer with four ink carts. I got two filled today for less than $18.00 total. The refills have been averaging about half the cost of a new high yield cart. So far, the ink performance has been as good as the name brand.

Picked this up on our last visit to Costco. It's markedly better than the usual shredded parmesan products.

While Costco's shredded Parmigiano Reggiano is excellent, I think I'm going to stick with the chunk form now on. Using the chunk of cheese leaves me with the rinds for use in soups.

While Costco's shredded Parmigiano Reggiano is excellent, I think I'm going to stick with the chunk form now on. Using the chunk of cheese leaves me with the rinds for use in soups.

I like the convenience of already shredded Parmigiano Reggiano, but the chunk keeps longer, and I don't use it very fast.

CD

Costco Products You've Tried

I'm copying the Trader Joe's thread format because I bought something at Costco yesterday and wanted to share about it.

El Camino Real Bakery
Organic Coconut Bites

7577BC1E-FC46-47A5-B620-6E014B0562D4_1_105_c.jpg

I had some last night with a glass of milk. They are amazingly good! The only reason I stopped eating them was that I ran out of milk.

That container is about 10" across and cost $6.99 less $2.00 off as a sale price.

Last edited:
Reviving this thread. I found Truffle Carpaccio at Costco. It really is good - just sliced truffles in olive oil. I've used it plain over hot pasta, and last night made a cream sauce over chicken.

Attachments

• Truffle Carpaccio.JPG
    Truffle Carpaccio.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 6
I'm falling off my chair...
white urbani truffles.jpg
I bought this for less than 10$ at the grocers. Looked them up on line and the price was $68.00 US. Silversage, your carpaccio was 58$ on Amazon. Who are they kidding!

Haven't used it yet, but pasta is in the near future!

Edit:
Went back to look at some of the previous posts. I worked for a company that made Packaging Tape. Costco wanted to carry the line but they also wanted a 90 day term to pay. They usually have a 30 day turnover (or less) in the stores. So they buy a product, sell it within 30 days - and don't have to even pay for it for 90 days. LOL - guess who's product they aren't selling.

That's one reason they are not always consistent with the products on their shelves. So a good guess is, if they can't get the time to pay, they stop carrying it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom