Costco Products You Enjoy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sir- you do know that you can have a Costco Dog or Pizza (so long as their food court is on the outside) without a membership card.

RPCooking- there's only 2 of us and I shop at Costco about once a quarter, but I do comparison shop. I have a set shopping list for Costco, WalMart, Trader Joe's, Sprouts and the local grocer.

I read an article awhile back about the 5 things that you shouldn't buy at Costco (or Sam's Club). I can't recall all of them, but I don't but TP nor Paper Towels at Costco any longer.

8 Things You Should NOT Buy At Costco And Sam's Club

I found a different one here ...

Last edited:
I find that interesting. Who ever wrote the 8 things you should not buy obviously doesn't have kids. This part I copied and pasted.....

Condiments: According to multiple sources including Kiplinger, you should stay away from buying condiments in bulk. This is because of the relative short life of the condiments after they are opened. Who really goes through 1 gallon of ketchup in a few months, anyway?

Yea I we go through that much and more ketchup.

About the only thing i see the writer may be right about is the paper products. BUT. I can go get a huge thing of it every couple months. Before we found Sams Club it seemed like we were always out.

Another thing is I never buy soda or beer at the Sams club I go to. Only because its in Iowa and they think they need to tack on 5 cents per can deposit.

Wife does buy diapers on line. Walmart.com. But only when we are close to out and will not be going to the city for a while. Its an hour to the closest town of any size. the local stores like to jack up prices so high its worth the hassle. They come snail mail. The mail man loves us on diaper delivery day.

I started freezing ground meat in sandwich-size zip bags last year. A local store had ground sirloin on sale for $2.99 a pound - an absurdly low price, especially since this store fresh-grinds quality meat in their own store. Loverly can't get low-grade chuck for that price, so we gave her five pounds as one of her Christmas gifts. (Yes, she loved it!) A pound fit perfectly into the size bag I had, then I took multiple bags and corralled them into a gallon size bag. Works like a charm! I've done this for my own freezing ever since. I don't feel guilty for using the plastic bags since I recycle almost everything we use, and I don't use many paper towels since I use cotton or linen towels for drying fruits and greens. Everyone needs a little sin here and there. :LOL:

Living alone, buying almost any item in bulk, just doesn't make financial sense for me. I have a BJ's just ten minutes from me. In fact I could get there on my scooter. But how would I get it home? And Costco's is about twenty minutes from me. When I lived in Everett, I found no need to go there and it was even closer to me then. The bus stops right in front of their door. The meat sounds possible, as I would cut it up into single servings for the freezer.

My daughter has a membership with BJ's. If I think I may need something in bulk, I just ask her to pick it up for me when she is in the area. Until then, I will stick with Jet.com.

I started freezing ground meat in sandwich-size zip bags last year. A local store had ground sirloin on sale for $2.99 a pound - an absurdly low price, especially since this store fresh-grinds quality meat in their own store. Loverly can't get low-grade chuck for that price, so we gave her five pounds as one of her Christmas gifts. (Yes, she loved it!) A pound fit perfectly into the size bag I had, then I took multiple bags and corralled them into a gallon size bag. Works like a charm! I've done this for my own freezing ever since. I don't feel guilty for using the plastic bags since I recycle almost everything we use, and I don't use many paper towels since I use cotton or linen towels for drying fruits and greens. Everyone needs a little sin here and there. :LOL:

The whole family used to chide my sister for washing, drying and reusing her plastic bags. I now do the same. Only I wrap my meat originally in plastic wrap. And I have been known to reuse the wrap the meat came in from the store. I just love being frugal. As a play upon words, "If that is sinning, then I don't want to be angelic." :angel:

Sir- you do know that you can have a Costco Dog or Pizza (so long as their food court is on the outside) without a membership card.
Yes, I know, but the only Costco in this county is inconveniently located at least 15 miles from my house, requiring driving all the way there on city streets. Same with Trader Joes.

The whole family used to chide my sister for washing, drying and reusing her plastic bags. I now do the same. Only I wrap my meat originally in plastic wrap. And I have been known to reuse the wrap the meat came in from the store. I just love being frugal. As a play upon words, "If that is sinning, then I don't want to be angelic." :angel:

I may be frugal, but I would never reuse plastic anything that was first used for raw meat. Unless it's Tupperware, which goes into the dishwasher. Otherwise, you could end up spending way more for medical treatment than you saved on the piece of plastic wrap.

I may be frugal, but I would never reuse plastic anything that was first used for raw meat. Unless it's Tupperware, which goes into the dishwasher. Otherwise, you could end up spending way more for medical treatment than you saved on the piece of plastic wrap.

I never reuse plastic bags that have chicken in them And all my meats get a very tight double wrap with the plastic wrap. I keep a canister of hospital strength germicide wipes on top of my counter. The counter get wiped between each meats when I change over to a new package. I am so well aware of the problems of contamination. The side of the plastic wrap never touches the counter. And my plastic wrap is of commercial grade.

Each piece of chicken goes into a small quart Ziplock bag as an individual package. Those Ziplock bags are tossed when taken out of the freezer.

We weren't blessed with dishwashers in these apartments. I guess elderly citizens are worthy of them. So we make do the best we can with what we are given and are grateful we even have a home.

Those are definitely some fine looking chops!

That would be a definite negative for me too, as I reserve the tips for stock. It's all irrelevant for me anyway, as there is no Costco east of Denver here, so along with shopping for 2 and having to pay an annual fee for the privilege of being a member, it just doesn't make much sense financially.

There is a Costco in Timnath...
4705 Weitzel St, Timnath, CO 80547 - Costco

They used to have great chicken wings but their current suppliers produce isn't as good.

I used to really like their big whole fresh chicken wings. Now they have been replaced by fresh "party wings" all jointed without the tips. Grrr, I like the whole ones, as I don't want them cut apart like that. Without the tips, it makes for easier turning on the grill.

I agree with this 100%. I was upset they discontinued the other wings and complained to Costco. They were bigger and more uniform in size too.

I liked the whole wings sold in the fresh chicken section and then, when they went to the semi fresh wing pieces I was disappointed. They were tiny.
I found the large bag of frozen wings that are separated.
These are by far the largest chicken wings we have ever bought.
I am going back with intention to buy two bags as they were big and very good.
The frozen wing sections by far have been the best buy in Costco without me even knowing it.
I now will only buy the big bag of frozen wing sections at Costco.

I use to buy the frozen wings but found them small and inconsistent in size. Based on your comment, I'll check again to see if the frozen wings have changed.

But..... where's Timnath? :LOL:

Had to look it up. The Costco in Thornton is actually closer in driving time than Timnath. Either one is still a good 2 hours away.

Yeah, it's 3.5 hours for us...a twice a year trip. Maybe I should have said Fort Collins...:ROFLMAO:

Costco has the best coconut oil around! When it's 2 for 1, you can get 2 very large containers of it for around $20. That lasts my family a year, and we're moderate to heavy users of coconut oil.

WELL!
As of June 20th, Costco will ending their long standing
relationship with American Express
and changing ships to Visa.
Where did I put that Visa Card :cool:

Looking forward to it! Never got the Amex. Now I can get miles from Costco on my VISA!

They may be offering a Costco VISA but I think they have to accept ALL VISAs.

Yes they do. I really didn't want another credit card as we already have a Chase Freedom Visa, so I researched, and Costco does state that. Keep using your AE till June 20 though.

We just got the new Costco Visas a couple days ago, and against my better judgment, I activated them as DH thought it was a good deal. The one advantage that I see with the Costco card is it doubles as an ID to get you into the store.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom