Crab Rangoons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeccaBugs

Assistant Cook
One of the things I miss about the states is the crab rangoons you can get at most of the chinese restaraunts. Now, I have attempted to make them several times and they never turn out right. It's always the wontons. The filling isn't the problem.
When I get wontons they're usually frozen and let them thaw, fill them, seal with a dab of water then deep fry. But the wontons don't bubble up and get light and crispy. They generally keep their shape and are kinda hard very thin and crunchy.
I suppose making the wontons from scratch would probly work better but how much faff would that involve?

What do you guys think?

<3

It's possible that the oil isn't hot enough. You also might try letting the wraps come to room temperature before frying. Haven't ever made home made wraps, always just got the ones from the store.

Nice advice guys.
The last time I tried these it was just oil in a pan, my husband loves his chips so he went out and bought a mini deep fryer with temperature control so I might have the upper hand this time.
Gunna take another stab next weekend, will let you know how things go. :)

High frying heat. You're trying for exploding the air bubbles trapped in the wonton dough to blister it and spread out the starch. There are also some recipes here at DC for scratch Chinese dumpling dough (I've yet to try). Hope it works for you next weekend, but either way, I really want to see your filling recipe!

Spork :)
12 ounces of cream cheese (at room temperature)
1 cup imitation crab meat (or canned)
2 green onions (minced)
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon soy sauce

I've also used worchestershire sauce in place of the soy before. Both are equally nice. :)

Back
Top Bottom