Cream vs. Milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

little_spoon

Assistant Cook
Can anyone tell me the benefits to using cream instead of milk, particular in dishes such as macaroni and cheese, or in something like biscuits? Does cream change the texture of the food, or provide a better flavor? Just how versatile is cream?

Cream adds a nice, rich flavor and mouth feel to casseroles and other dishes. A cup of coffee with skim milk, meh. Same coffee with cream, yum. I try not to use it too much because of the fat content.

Last edited:
The short answer is that cream provides creaminess. :chef:

We always have it in the fridge. I use it in coffee (can't stand fake creamer) and like to sometimes add just a splash to sauces or egg dishes. A little goes a long way.

Cream is the part of whole milk that the health freaks avoid like the plague,
I don't think that's necessarily true. I eat pretty healthy, but have no problem with cream in small amounts. You might be surprised to find that some of us "health freaks" also use lard and butter in our cooking.

All things in moderation. :)

I don't think that's necessarily true. I eat pretty healthy, but have no problem with cream in small amounts. You might be surprised to find that some of us "health freaks" also use lard and butter in our cooking.

All things in moderation. :)
Guess you're not a bona fide health 'freak'.
It's tough to make a quart of rich ice cream with a small amount :) of heavy cream.

Last edited:
Taste. However in mixing biscuits, if you use heavy cream, you probably don't have to cut in shortening since the cream has fat in it. Makes for an easy batch of biscuits.

Back
Top Bottom