Creating variety: How do you spice up your oatmeal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ardchoille

Senior Cook
I have been experimenting with oatmeal recently. I love oatmeal, it has been a breakfast item every morning in my home for the past decade.

This morning I decided to try adding raisins and honey, which turned out to be a great idea. Yesterday I added apple chunks and cinnamon, which was also delicious.

Now I would like more ideas. What do you add to your oatmeal to spice it up?

Last edited:
Any fruit preserves. If it's good on toast, it's great in oatmeal. Try Nutella. Or a handful of blueberries. I keep a bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer just for oatmeal.

Any fruit preserves. If it's good on toast, it's great in oatmeal. Try Nutella. Or a handful of blueberries. I keep a bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer just for oatmeal.

Yeah, I need to go shopping today.. I'll be buying fruit. I've never tasted Nutella, I'll have to try that as well. Thank you :)

I like organic dessicated coconut and raisins (cooking the raisins towards the end, to plump them up without them disintegrating, but adding the coconut once made) or sunflower seeds adds good crunch. I haven't tried it but adding some coconut milk to it too might be great.

I love adding "stuff" to oatmeal too, ardchoille. Here are some of my favorites:

1) dried cranberries, toasted walnuts, cinnamon
2) dried cherries, toasted almond slices, unsweetened coconut. (sometimes I go all-out and put a dark chocolate chip or two on a few of the spoonfuls :yum: )
3) blueberries (fresh, frozen, or dried), toasted pecans, cinnamon
4) dried apricots
5) a wee-bit of dark brown sugar

I add any of the dried fruits when there is still a minute or two left, so that they can plump. I don't add the toasted nuts until I take the pan off the heat. I do toast the nuts in the same pot before I cook the oatmeal.

Another trick I learned: it's OK to use more water than the box tells you to. I always made myself a serving with the 1/2 cup oatmeal to 1 cup water method. I now use 10 oz of water, a scant 1/2 cup oatmeal, and cook it just a bit longer - roughly 1 minute per oz of water. You get more bulk with fewer calories.

I haven't tried making a savory oatmeal yet. I figure it can be done, since I often add oatmeal to meatloaf.

I like organic dessicated coconut and raisins (cooking the raisins towards the end, to plump them up without them disintegrating, but adding the coconut once made) or sunflower seeds adds good crunch. I haven't tried it but adding some coconut milk to it too might be great.

What I did this morning was to boil the water, then add the oatmeal and raisins together and cook for a minute longer. I always add either almond milk or non-GMO soymilk to my oatmeal. Yes, coconut milk is a definite possibility, I may try that tomorrow morning.

I love adding "stuff" to oatmeal too, ardchoille. Here are some of my favorites:

1) dried cranberries, toasted walnuts, cinnamon
2) dried cherries, toasted almond slices, unsweetened coconut. (sometimes I go all-out and put a dark chocolate chip or two on a few of the spoonfuls :yum: )
3) blueberries (fresh, frozen, or dried), toasted pecans, cinnamon
4) dried apricots
5) a wee-bit of dark brown sugar

I add any of the dried fruits when there is still a minute or two left, so that they can plump. I don't add the toasted nuts until I take the pan off the heat. I do toast the nuts in the same pot before I cook the oatmeal.

Another trick I learned: it's OK to use more water than the box tells you to. I always made myself a serving with the 1/2 cup oatmeal to 1 cup water method. I now use 10 oz of water, a scant 1/2 cup oatmeal, and cook it just a bit longer - roughly 1 minute per oz of water. You get more bulk with fewer calories.

I haven't tried making a savory oatmeal yet. I figure it can be done, since I often add oatmeal to meatloaf.

I have many of your additions on my to do list now, thank you! I've never thought of adding nuts to oatmeal, but it does make sense being that these are similar ingredients to what one might find in a granola mix. The brown sugar sounds great too, and I think adding a bit of cinnamon in with it would be delicious.

I've never read an oatmeal box, I just add a heaping 1/4 cup rolled oats to 1/2 cup boiling water and cook for a minute.

Do not laugh because this is seriously how I like oatmeal. Put it in a bowl and smooth it out. Then make little peaks and sprinkle brown sugar on them, it melts in. Some sugar might go in the valleys which is where I carefully pour the milk so it doesn't touch the sugary tops.

Do not laugh because this is seriously how I like oatmeal. Put it in a bowl and smooth it out. Then make little peaks and sprinkle brown sugar on them, it melts in. Some sugar might go in the valleys which is where I carefully pour the milk so it doesn't touch the sugary tops.

That is indeed a different way of eating oatmeal, but nothing wrong with that.. it keeps oatmeal from being boring. I sometimes mix in a little wheat bran to change the taste and keep my oatmeal from being boring. Gotta change things up now and then :)

That is indeed a different way of eating oatmeal, but nothing wrong with that.. it keeps oatmeal from being boring. I sometimes mix in a little wheat bran to change the taste and keep my oatmeal from being boring. Gotta change things up now and then :)
Try oatbran...so much nicer! ;)

Sometimes, as something quick and filling, I will make a light 'porridge' just by using water and organic oatbran (no oatmeal). With a bit of honey/sugar and milk it always hits the spot and is very comforting.

Try oatbran...so much nicer! ;)

Sometimes, as something quick and filling, I will make a light 'porridge' just by using water and organic oatbran (no oatmeal). With a bit of honey/sugar and milk it always hits the spot and is very comforting.

Oatbran? Hmm.. I've never seen this, I'll look for it the next time I go shopping. I really need to make a trip to a whole foods store, I'll bet they carry it.

Consider also that oatmeal doesn't have to be sweet. You could use broth as the liquid and add veggies and or cooked meats. Possibly pieces of breakfast sausage and hard cooked eggs.

Consider also that oatmeal doesn't have to be sweet. You could use broth as the liquid and add veggies and or cooked meats. Possibly pieces of breakfast sausage and hard cooked eggs.

I add coconut milk and oil to mine, no sugar. I'd like to try a mild curry seasoning in it.

I had never viewed oatmeal as anything other than a breakfast cereal.. perhaps I need to change my views on this. I'm going to spend some time looking for more recipes that include oats.

I hope I am never stopped by the police as it is near impossible for me to walk a straight line even on a good day. I sometimes make breakfast for dinner, but oatmeal does not quite reach the top. Grape nuts, yes.

I just copied a new recipe tonight that I can't wait to try. I already spiffed the ingredients, which I think add to the original.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f154/orange-cinnamon-bun-oatmeal-scones-92974.html

You might want to look also at Sir Loin of Beef's Pineapple Oatmeal Muffins. These too are on my hot list to make.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f154/pineapple-oatmeal-muffins-92335.html

Last edited:
I hope I am never stopped by the police as it is near impossible for me to walk a straight line even on a good day. I sometimes make breakfast for dinner, but oatmeal does not quite reach the top. Grape nuts, yes.

I just copied a new recipe tonight that I can't wait to try. I already spiffed the ingredients, which I think add to the original.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f154/orange-cinnamon-bun-oatmeal-scones-92974.html

You might want to look also at Sir Loin of Beef's Pineapple Oatmeal Muffins. These too are on my hot list to make.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f154/pineapple-oatmeal-muffins-92335.html

Oh, new oatmeal recipes! Thank you so much! :) can't wait to try these.

Oatbran? Hmm.. I've never seen this, I'll look for it the next time I go shopping. I really need to make a trip to a whole foods store, I'll bet they carry it.
Before you check out Whole Paycheck Foods, check your local grocery store. Bob's Red Mill has Oat Bran, as does Hodgson Mill. Both brands are available at grocery stores near me, although I don't know if they have the Hodgson one. I have seen Bob's Oat Bran at my regular grocery store.

Back
Top Bottom