Crepes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
Anyone make crepes? I haven't made them in a long time, I remember they used to be very popular in restaurants.

I make them a couple of times a month. We like them filled with a good quality fruit jam, then dusted with powder sugar. We also fill them with fresh fruit, any kind of berry, for breakfast or sometimes dessert. If you'd like an old Hungarian recipe, I'll post it.

We had the most amazing crepes in Budapest! I have never made them, sounds like something yummy for Sunday brunch!

I make them a couple of times a month. We like them filled with a good quality fruit jam, then dusted with powder sugar. We also fill them with fresh fruit, any kind of berry, for breakfast or sometimes dessert. If you'd like an old Hungarian recipe, I'll post it.

I would be interested in the recipe. :)

My Mother's Crepes

1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups milk
3 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 T. melted butter
1/2 t. vanilla
Mix in blender. Pour into bowl and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
Thin, if necessary until creamy consistency.

Last edited:
My Mother's Crepes

1 cup flour
11/2 cups milk
3 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 T. melted butter
1/2 t. vanilla
Mix in blender. Pour into bowl and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
Thin, if necessary until creamy consistency.

thank you EssieBunny! Much appreciated !

crepes

i love ihop's german crepes, all that melted butter and powdered sugar not to mention the lemon juice.

have made a couple times, but certainly not as good as theirs.

babe

Remember when creperias (no they did not call them that) were all over the place.

Used to love the savory crepes. Crepes with chciken, ham, with seafood, boy they were good. Can make veggie crepes, the imagination is the limit.

You can use them kinda like tortillas, just leave out the sugar and vanilla when you make them.

Used to toss them off all the time but haven't in a long time. Why? Maybe just because you just get interested in other foods and good old standbys get forgotten.

Think it is time for renewals of crepe eating and fondue making.

This last Sunday I made breakfast crepes. I took a crepe, placed a slice of ham on, then some shredded Emmenthaller cheese and, finally, some soft scrambled eggs. Rolled the crepes up and put them in a buttered gratin dish. Sprinkled more grated Emmenthaller over and baked at a low temp until the cheese on top melted. Yummy breakfast.

Three crepes each was quite enough for a filling breakfast.

I make crepes a lot. I have a Russian main dish a (Russian) friend shared with me in the late '60s. It's called Nastliniki and is delicious.

I also make Coquilles St. Jacques crepes that are good.

Last edited:
This last Sunday I made breakfast crepes. I took a crepe, placed a slice of ham on, then some shredded Emmenthaller cheese and, finally, some soft scrambled eggs. Rolled the crepes up and put them in a buttered gratin dish. Sprinkled more grated Emmenthaller over and baked at a low temp until the cheese on top melted. Yummy breakfast.

Three crepes each was quit enough for a filling breakfast.

I make crepes a lot. I have a Russian main dish a (Russian) friend shared with me in the late '60s. It's called Nastliniki and is delicious.

I also make Coquilles St. Jacques crepes that are good.
sounds good !

I love crepe's too. My mom used to make them though I have no idea of her measurements, but basically flour, eggs, vanilla, butter. I prefer maple syrup over them, or butter and powdered sugar.

I love crepe's too. My mom used to make them though I have no idea of her measurements, but basically flour, eggs, vanilla, butter. I prefer maple syrup over them, or butter and powdered sugar.

yes that is good too. :)

Crepe batter is essentially a simple batter. And I cannot give you measurements because I have made them since I was a kid.

When I was a kid would toss in some leavening to make pancakes, but then I learned if you just go with the batter you get a crepe.

Yep, add vanilla and sugar and you get a swell treat.

But to me the crepe is at its perfection when wrapped about, oh crabmeat. Or lobster, or ham and chicken with leeks in a white sauce.

To me the crepe adds a dimension of flavor.

And they are trivial to make.

Gotta think about this, and where in the heck is the fondue pot?

I used to make crepes when I was a young newlywed in Louisiana. We did the syrup or powdered sugar thing.
I remember trying to do savory ones, but I was pretty strapped for funds, and didn't have much to experiment with.

I'll bet it would be good with a piece of maple flavored sausage and scrambled eggs inside, and and cream gravy over the top.

I used to make crepes when I was a young newlywed in Louisiana. We did the syrup or powdered sugar thing.
I remember trying to do savory ones, but I was pretty strapped for funds, and didn't have much to experiment with.

I'll bet it would be good with a piece of maple flavored sausage and scrambled eggs inside, and and cream gravy over the top.

oh yes , it would be good.

:) You can make them ahead let cool and layer them with wax paper or parchment paper and freeze till you need them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom