Crispy fish in a non-stick pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kookiblob

Assistant Cook
I was planning on making a dish of crispy black sea bass filet w/ skin on, would it work well with a non-stick pan? if not, with a normal pan, how would I make sure that the skin doesn't get stuck on the pan and end up being impossible to remove...?:ermm:

-Kevin

The pan material is not what effects crispiness. A non-stick surface will do as well as uncoated.

The oil distribution when using non-stick pans gets me frustrated. It gathers up in one part of the pan. Having your pan level is probably important. Many stove top placed pans aren't perfectly level.
Mine isn't.

Last edited:
The trick to browning in non-stick is to not move your food around. Leave it sit until you are ready to flip and it should brown/crisp.

I was planning on making a dish of crispy black sea bass filet w/ skin on, would it work well with a non-stick pan? if not, with a normal pan, how would I make sure that the skin doesn't get stuck on the pan and end up being impossible to remove...?:ermm:

-Kevin

pan very hot
fish skin dry
pan well oiled
don't move the food around. let it brown. it will release when "it is ready".
That statement bothers lots of cooks, but it is true. a gentle shake will tell you if it is ready to move.

Back
Top Bottom