Crispy fried egg problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Read what I wrote. Didn't have this problem with a new tefal pan.
And I've experimented with different fats, temps etc using this greenpan, and everytime it's the same result.

You clearly haven't read this thread. It's not just the edges.

It's the pan

I'm sorry. Its not the pan. No matter how you say it. And I mean no disrespect.

It's no surprise that different pans cook differently. So a Greenpan is not cooking eggs well when it's used a certain way. So yes, it's the pan because it cooks differently from another pan. BUT Yes, it's the cook because you have to change your process to accommodate pan differences.

So forget abut griddle videos and McDonalds videos, etc. Focus on the pan you have.

I cooked them in a cheap non stick pan with lots of carbonised oil on it today.
Had NO issues cooking them on it.
Same gas cooker, same oil, same brand of eggs.

It's the pan.

I've taken photos but won't let me upload from my phone. Will upload later.

Return, donate or toss the pan? Life is too short to worry about eggs.. ;)

Ross

It's no surprise that different pans cook differently. So a Greenpan is not cooking eggs well when it's used a certain way. So yes, it's the pan because it cooks differently from another pan. BUT Yes, it's the cook because you have to change your process to accommodate pan differences.

So forget abut griddle videos and McDonalds videos, etc. Focus on the pan you have.
Wrong. As I showed, other people with greenpans have the exact same issue and they're not even aware of it as seen in that video I linked to and many others.

Did you miss the bit where I state I've had this pan for years and I've tried many different methods of frying eggs in it?
I've tried different fats, temperature, how long I heat the fat for before putting the egg onto it.

It's very obviously the pan and NOT my fault.
This isn't an ego thing. It's, I've tried many many ways and it always results in this.

It's. The. Pan.

I think like pizza pans, the carbonised layer on the cheap pan is what makes it so damn effective at being non stick.

On my expensive greenpan, which is non stick, eggs stick. A lot.
The non stick is very much intact.

On this dirt cheap non stick and much older and far far far more used pan, eggs don't stick. At all.

The cooking surface makes or breaks the outcome clearly.

If you live in the UK, once the restrictions are lifted, come here and cook eggs on the greenpan.
I will film it and share the link here so others can see that I'm not wrong.

Because I guarantee you will not be able to cook eggs without what happens when I do on the Greenpan.

Photos

I'll add text later

Attachments

• 20200619_130639.jpg
    20200619_130639.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 20200619_125811.jpg
    20200619_125811.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 20200619_130001.jpg
    20200619_130001.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20200619_130224.jpg
    20200619_130224.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 20200619_130229.jpg
    20200619_130229.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20200619_130435.jpg
    20200619_130435.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 20200619_130437.jpg
    20200619_130437.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20200619_130627.jpg
    20200619_130627.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200619_130828.jpg
    20200619_130828.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 20200619_131427.jpg
    20200619_131427.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 20200619_131431.jpg
    20200619_131431.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200619_131555.jpg
    20200619_131555.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 65
Clearly your mind is made up. Why are you banging your head against the wall? Go buy a new pan!

If there is no doubt in your mind that it's the pan, why did you come here and ask for help? Remember your plea? "Please help...".

You've been helped in numerous ways:

You could buy a different pan
You could try a smaller burner
You could try different heat levels
You could try different fats
You could try a lid.

Read back over the thread for a comprehensive list.

...or keep banging your head against the wall.

Clearly your mind is made up. Why are you banging your head against the wall? Go buy a new pan!

If there is no doubt in your mind that it's the pan, why did you come here and ask for help? Remember your plea? "Please help...".

You've been helped in numerous ways:

You could buy a different pan
You could try a smaller burner
You could try different heat levels
You could try different fats
You could try a lid.

Read back over the thread for a comprehensive list.

...or keep banging your head against the wall.
..again you're not reading all the posts. I didn't know until JUST EARLIER TODAY having cooked eggs on this pan.

As I already said MANY times I've tried all those different methods.
Last one was a different pan having realised after trying many other ways, that it's the pan and not my method of cooking.

Don't think buying a new pan would help. This pan works despite it being ancient.
Tefal pans, once they lose their non stick coating, which is a matter of one or two weeks, become useless for cooking eggs in.
This applies to almost all non stick pans.

As I said. I think it's the carbonised layer that's on this pan that makes it so damn good.

I'll try it again tomorrow and see what happens.

Last edited:
Except for a few high end ceramic pans, they all work wonderfully at first. However, the coating on the ceramic (usually a silicon) quickly wears off, and the ceramic pan is no longer non-stick. Cast iron, and high carbon steel pans develop a polymerized carbon layer that is durable, and can be re-applied. It is almost non-stick. Mineral steel pans are high carbon steel pans with a different name. Seasoning is done the same way as with CI. Seasoned aluminum pans work as well as seasoned CI and steel pans. If used properly, stainless steel pans are virtually non-stick as well. One caveat with SS pans, inspect the cooking surface, It should be mirror smooth, with no visible grinding marks (circular micro-scratches). A quality SS pan works better than a cheap one. Some kind of heat conductive disk should be an integral part of the SS pan bottom ,to eliminate hot spots.

Ok, that's enough of Chief's pan 101 lesson for the day.

Seeeeya: Chief Longwind of the North

Don't y'all just love it when a troll comes through?

A newbie declares that he can't cook and wants to learn. We give him our best advice, based on many, many years of experience. Maybe a dozen people tried to answer, most of us with 40-50 years of experience. That's 5-600 years of combined knowledge. He tells us we are all wrong. You Tube is his bible. Yet we keep debating with him.

It appears we are bored, therefore we continue to engage with him.

I think he got tired of trying to tell us we are all wrong. Been a year since he replied.

LOL - I think the best part is that he says it is the pan, we say get a new one, he says no, he has to learn. LOL

We all have pans that we don't use for certain things - not that those pans couldn't cook in them but the style or end object that we want is just not worth the hassle of trying with that particular pan - ergo we use a different one.

I've also had non-stick pans that have lasted for several years before finally getting scratched or accidently overheated and ruined. Lasts only a week or two - then you are completely ignorant about how it is being used.

How many have cooked an entire and delicious meal with these?

Attachments

• 20210614_144146.jpg
    20210614_144146.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210614_144322.jpg
    20210614_144322.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 33
I think he got tired of trying to tell us we are all wrong. Been a year since he replied.

LOL - I think the best part is that he says it is the pan, we say get a new one, he says no, he has to learn. LOL

We all have pans that we don't use for certain things - not that those pans couldn't cook in them but the style or end object that we want is just not worth the hassle of trying with that particular pan - ergo we use a different one.

I've also had non-stick pans that have lasted for several years before finally getting scratched or accidently overheated and ruined. Lasts only a week or two - then you are completely ignorant about how it is being used.

How many have cooked an entire and delicious meal with these?

That's the pan set I used with this camp stove - https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2-Burner-Classic-Liquid-Stove/dp/B001D22TQC/ref=dp_fod_2?pd_rd_i=B001D22TQC&psc=1

It's where I learned that seasoning aluminum made it as non-stick as seasoned cast iron. That trick mademy cheap camp set produce some pretty great breakfasts. The other trick for camp cookwear came from when I was a boy scout. Rub ivory soap all over the outside of the cookwear, andany soot accumulation from the cooking fire is easily removed. Rhat trick saved me a lot of scrubbing.:D

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The other trick for camp cookwear came from when I was a boy scout.

Rub ivory soap all over the outside of the cookwear, and any soot accumulation from the cooking fire is easily removed. That trick saved me a lot of scrubbing.:D

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yup - that's the best! I've even used it a couple of times for pans on the BBQ! :LOL:

Wonder how McDonald's make them? When I've bought the egg McMuffin, the eggs have always been perfectly circular and thick. Not thin crispy yucky.

I'm also very picky about eggs, I totally understand how you feel, and I don't mind the eggs at McD's. We all have different opinions on what makes an egg 'good'. I don't think it's your pan or your oil. Try this recipe, it works for me:

https://www.seriouseats.com/homemade-egg-mcmuffin-mcdonalds-recipe

The egg part:

Place the lid of a quart-sized, wide-mouthed Mason jar (both the lid and the sealing ring) upside down in the now empty skillet. (The side the jar screws onto should be facing up.) Spray the inside with nonstick cooking spray and break the egg into it. Poke the egg yolk with a fork to break it and season with salt and pepper. Pour 3/4 cup (180ml) water into the skillet, cover, and cook until the egg is set, about 2 minutes.
__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__serious_eats__seriouseats.com__recipes__20160105-homemade-egg-mcmuffin-recipe-kenji-09-composite-8b5187358390469ca36810b16d62c8a3.jpg

Using a thin spatula, transfer Mason jar lid to a paper towel–lined plate. Pour excess water out of the skillet, carefully wipe dry and return it to the stovetop with the heat off. Flip Mason jar lid over and gently remove it to release egg. Place egg on top of bacon and top with cheese slice. Close sandwich, wrap in aluminum foil, and return to now empty skillet. Let it warm up in the skillet for 2 minutes with the heat off, flipping occasionally. Unwrap and serve immediately.

Kenji is using a cast iron pan but you don't have to, I don't.

You can also purchase egg rings that make round, or even heart shaped eggs. Plus, they have a handle on them, which makes them easier to use. Be sure to spray with non-stick before using.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom