Crispy fries: remove starch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have posted this before, my dead uncle from Georgia Russia taught me 45yrs ago how to make Beef Stroganoff and the ultra crisp french fries that traditionally go with it..

He was alive at the time, right? ;)

Do you peel the potatoes or leave the skins on?
I would love to hear about that Beef Stroganoff recipe as well!

That is interesting about hanging the potatoes. In my experience, older potatoes would result in darker fries because of the high sugar content.

Yes, you fry them two times. First you blanch them for about 4or5 minutes at a lower heat, and then let them sit in a bowl or plastic bin and finish cooking through on their own. These blanced fries will keep for quite a while. You can refrigerate them until you are ready to eat. Even overnight. Then, they are ready to fry on a higher heat to darken and get crispy.

And what kind of oil or fat would be best suitable you think?

Thanks

And what kind of oil or fat would be best suitable you think?

Thanks
You are going to get lots of answers here. Most restuaruants use Canola in their fryers. Peanut oil is supposed to be most favorable. I used pure lard in my restaurant for years. They made great fries. The only reason I stopped was because the price spiked and it was a lot messier and labor intensive.

You are going to get lots of answers here. Most restuaruants use Canola in their fryers. Peanut oil is supposed to be most favorable. I used pure lard in my restaurant for years. They made great fries. The only reason I stopped was because the price spiked and it was a lot messier and labor intensive.

Thanks, I'll go for peanut oil then and I believe that lard would be very tasty indeed but also a little bit unhealthy.. :pig:

And what kind of restaurant do you have? Seafood I guess..

This I'm gonna try also.
But how long approximately the potatoes should hang like that?
And you also fry them 2 times?

Also I'm very interested in the Beef Stroganoff recipe from your uncle.
it varies, the pot is important to. I grow 4 types of "keepers" (main crop spuds that you leave in the soil for two weeks after the plant dies, this make the skin thick) I usually pick King Edwards to do this with, just leave them a few weeks or until they feel spongy and look like Rupert Murdoch's face.
Maury's Beef Strog
I have a good cheap supply of Fillet steak tails and off cuts.
Part freeze your steak so you can cut it into 1/4" batons, dredge in seasoned corn starch.
Cut onions and portobello mushrooms into the same size as the meat.
Sweat the onions in a little oil till opaque then tip out of the pan onto a plate.
Clean the pan and sweat the mushrooms till the have lost all their moisture, tip out onto a plate.
Clean the pan, heat a little oil in the pan till it starts to shimmer (very hot) then stir fry the steak for a minute or so, tip in the onions and mushrooms then add very sour cream, keep the burner on max and in a few seconds the corn starch should have amalgamated with the cream to make a soft omelet finish, check the seasoning and serve with the crisp fries.
The contrast of textures between the soft creamy beef and the crisp fries makes this dish and is traditional. Pasta and rice just dont cut the mustard:)

it varies, the pot is important to. I grow 4 types of "keepers" (main crop spuds that you leave in the soil for two weeks after the plant dies, this make the skin thick) I usually pick King Edwards to do this with, just leave them a few weeks or until they feel spongy and look like Rupert Murdoch's face.
Maury's Beef Strog
Part freeze your steak so you can cut it into 1/4" batons, dredge in seasoned corn starch.
Sweat the onions in a little oil till opaque then tip out of the pan onto a plate.
Clean the pan and sweat the mushrooms till the have lost all their moisture, tip out onto a plate.
Clean the pan, heat a little oil in the pan till it starts to shimmer (very hot) then stir fry the steak for a minute or so, tip in the onions and mushrooms then add very sour cream, keep the burner on max and in a few seconds the corn starch should have amalgamated with the cream to make a soft omelet finish, check the seasoning and serve with the crisp fries.
The contrast of textures between the soft creamy beef and the crisp fries makes this dish and is traditional. Pasta and rice just dont cut the mustard:)

Thanks, I'll try it.
And what seasoning do you use?

Maury's Beef Strog

That sounds really good. When winter hits, I'm going to have to try that.

I always thought that beef stroganoff was traditionally served with egg noodles...Who knew?!

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have a question regarding the Georgian fries...

Have been to Georgia and loved it (slightly wild trip I had there though!), and also think I have developed an intolerance to one or another of the starches in rice/pasta/potatoes, which is a real pity given how much I love all of these things, so am interested in how to make fries with reduced starch content, and would love to try the traditional Georgian approach.

Do you blanch then fry the fries, or just fry, or double fry?

Hope you see this and offer some tips.

Thanks

Ron

Back
Top Bottom